2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GT Fuel economy...

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/13, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone notice a difference between gas mileage when using premium and regular?
Old 5/27/13, 07:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dave07
Does anyone notice a difference between gas mileage when using premium and regular?
You'd have to run 3 or 4 tankfuls of each back to back over the same course and same speeds and weather conditions to get a real answer as to how much difference there may be.

Very few people will do that.
Old 5/27/13, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797

Who in this thread said they bought a second car (v6) to save money? It surely wasn't me if that's who you were referring to. I bought a second car a GT to make my track specific car. My v6 was my FIRST car which I bought knowing I'd eventually want a track specific car. So that 25-35k is used specifically for that...to drive the car exactly the way I want it which is as a track specific car. My DD is my V6 which is very good on gas mileage and allows me to save money to put directly into my track car.
This is allowed. And it wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular...there are others on here who claim they bought a V6 to save gas, to save money for their other cars. Just doesn't make financial sense. You're good though...
Old 5/27/13, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
This is allowed. And it wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular...there are others on here who claim they bought a V6 to save gas, to save money for their other cars. Just doesn't make financial sense. You're good though...
Gotcha...and yes I agree with you on this.
Old 5/27/13, 08:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
I haven't done a perfectly controlled back to back test to really compare, but have driven with tanks of 87, 89 and 91 of both ethanol blend and pure gas tankfuls. I haven't really noticed a big difference in any of them, honestly.
Old 5/27/13, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Lol ... I have a sticker roughly 18" long that says "Gladly burning the fuel that your Prius saves" that I put on the dash at the last car show - it got a lot of smiles from readers
Where did you pick that up at? I would love to grab one for my F250 w/a 460!
Old 5/28/13, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtnt3x
Where did you pick that up at? I would love to grab one for my F250 w/a 460!
Given to me by the tech that did the resonator-delete on the car recently, he had a few ...

You could probably use this one just fine : http://www.zazzle.com/my_truck_uses_...48535151823501

Old 5/28/13, 11:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Lol.. we can start a thread with these punchy lines.

1. My waistline gladly expands with the fast food you health nuts reject.

2. My lungs gladly support the smoky nicotine you non smokers franticly flee from.

3. My couch willingly supports my large listless body and buttocks while you active folks run aimlessly like hamsters on a wheel.

4. My body appreciates the relaxing supine posture, extra sleep, and government assistance as as the rest of you busy bodies work like ants out there.

5. My wallet gladly supports all of the above and the folks associated via Obama, IRS, and Satan.

Haha

Last edited by Getportfolio; 5/28/13 at 06:23 PM.
Old 5/28/13, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
I haven't done a perfectly controlled back to back test to really compare, but have driven with tanks of 87, 89 and 91 of both ethanol blend and pure gas tankfuls. I haven't really noticed a big difference in any of them, honestly.
I'm not at all surprised that different octane didn't produce significantly different mileage but I am surprised that pure gas didn't. Gasoline has about 35% more energy by volume than ethanol so you should see a minimum 3.5% increase in mileage using gas over E10. When pure gas was still available at a reasonable price around here, I could feel an improvement in performance almost as soon as I pulled out of the gas station. Nowadays, pure gas is sold only as a specialty product locally and the added performance and mileage doesn't justify the cost except in the bike and generator.
Old 5/28/13, 06:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I'm not at all surprised that different octane didn't produce significantly different mileage but I am surprised that pure gas didn't. Gasoline has about 35% more energy by volume than ethanol so you should see a minimum 3.5% increase in mileage using gas over E10. When pure gas was still available at a reasonable price around here, I could feel an improvement in performance almost as soon as I pulled out of the gas station. Nowadays, pure gas is sold only as a specialty product locally and the added performance and mileage doesn't justify the cost except in the bike and generator.
Surprised me too, as I did the same test with my old car ('03 Mazda6s) and went from 27.5 all time best tank to 32.5.
Old 5/28/13, 07:07 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde

Surprised me too, as I did the same test with my old car ('03 Mazda6s) and went from 27.5 all time best tank to 32.5.
WOW WOW WOW 27.5 -32.5 mpg in your Mazda 6??? I got 25 mostly highway as my all time high. I only average 20 no matter how or where I drive! It sucks for gas mileage but it also is the best mileage car I've ever owned!!!
Old 5/29/13, 01:38 AM
Cobra Member

I drove roughly 150 miles round trip and burned through half a tank in my Boss. Of course, my Avg speed was 90 and I got it up to 150 once and 120 a few times.
Old 5/29/13, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
I drove roughly 150 miles round trip and burned through half a tank in my Boss. Of course, my Avg speed was 90 and I got it up to 150 once and 120 a few times.
Even though that is certainly no way to calculate mileage... figuring about half of a 16 gallon tank (8 gallons) for 150 miles comes to almost 19 mpg - not that bad for a hard run.
Old 5/30/13, 08:57 PM

Ltng

When u posted about mpgs u should have known you'd get the shouldn't have gotten a v8 comments. Though saying someone's opinion is worthless just because it doesn't fit your views doesn't make your opinion any more important. Not saying not to worry about mpgs but the facts remain, v6s get better mpgs. And then saying that someone saying get a gt instead of modding a v6 is a worthless opinion mustn't have been very well thought out. Usually getting a gt instead of modding a v6 will be cheaper and still have more hp. Only reasons I see for keeping a v6 if u want more power is not enough funds at one time to get a gt, emotional attachment to your v6, or fuel economy. The opinion to get a gt over a v6 isn't useless it has its point just may not be what u want to do. But to each his own. Ur on forums, you're going to get different opinions. Take them into consideration then decide what you want to do but saying someone's opinion on a forum is useless, is well useless.
Old 5/30/13, 09:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Putting a smile on the readers' faces at car shows:
Attached Thumbnails GT Fuel economy...-dsc06329-sm.jpg  
Old 5/30/13, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Putting a smile on the readers' faces at car shows:
I want a Hoonigan license plate frame that says this. I work in Silicon Valley. It makes me sick.
Old 5/30/13, 09:22 PM
GT Member

I think the new 5.0 does well considering it comes out of the factory door with 420 HP. I don't think the old school cars would get close to the fuel burn / hp that the new ones get.

I'm an old guy now and probably on my last "nice" car (new 13 gt), I love driving it and in less than 10 years it will be done (so might I). I think the next few years are what we may have left to enjoy cars like these, as the rules are going to clamp down.

Except for the lack of sound, I would love to see high performance electric cars get into the mainstream (some great R&D to do), but electric has outstanding power potential (electric machines underground in mines have so much more power than diesel counterparts). However electric is not always as "green" as advertised.
Old 5/30/13, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
San Jose - Las Vegas and back (approx 1200 miles), driving well over the speed limit (avg approx. 90 miles/hour) my stock GT automatic did 24.1mpg.
Not bad considering the two adults, one child and luggage. Also the trip isn't exactly "flat" there are quite a few "mountains" along the way.
Old 5/30/13, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mccolaus000
Ltng
Usually getting a gt instead of modding a v6 will be cheaper and still have more hp. Only reasons I see for keeping a v6 if u want more power is not enough funds at one time to get a gt, emotional attachment to your v6, or fuel economy.
The reason I'm keeping my V6 rather than getting a V8 is because it's a lighter, better balanced car. I don't use my car for drag racing, not on the street or strip. I use it to drive on both city streets and winding country roads. In either case I get far more use out of the suspension and brakes than I do straight line WOT driving.

The V6 is 200-350 lbs lighter (depending on options) and can have the same brakes and suspension as any V8. Because it's lighter it is more nimble, stops faster, turns sharper, and has less undesteer when going into corners hard. You can carry more speed through the apex and it's less prone to sliding the back end on corner exit. Under braking the less weight means less inertia to stop, so assuming you have the same tires on both cars the V6 will always stop faster.

Sure, you can beat me in a drag race....... But at less than WOT, in curvy roads with braking zones and stops where most of us spend the vast majority of our time driving, I've got the overall better performing car. A fact that was not lost on my brother-in-law last time he tried to follow me through the Texas Hill Country in his 2012 GT. He could catch me in the long straights, but I would easily leave him behind in every corner.

Now, that little off-topic rant out of the way, my brother-in-law would routinely get 24.6-24.8 mpg from his 2012 GT on the drive between North Dallas and Katy, Texas, a drive of almost 300 miles each way. That's with speeds around 80-90 the whole way.

Last edited by Moustang; 5/30/13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 5/30/13, 10:35 PM

I failed to have taken weight into account. I'm sorry. No where in my post had i said mine was better than yours. Either way my main point seems to have been lost on you.

Quick Reply: GT Fuel economy...