Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GT Fuel economy...

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/13, 09:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheReaper
If you are scared to push the gas pedal then you need a Prius.
Another worthless comment to this thread.
Old 5/26/13, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
My apologies for jacking the thread. I get heated up for alot if reasons over this topic. I'm originally from Alaska and yes, the state could supply a large portion of oil and solve some of our problems but we refuse to drill. I know all the "reasons" but really...why?!

I also absolutely despise paying 4.00 bucks a gallon here. (Even with the V6.) It adds up quickly and I look at the bill each month and feel guilty because its money I could have used for my daughter.

YES it's a part of life but our dependency on oil is what is skyrocketing the gas prices.Those foreign puds continue to increase the price per barrel because they can! Like helpless little kittens sucking on a tet... We frantically meow for it.

Mark my words, they could charge 10 dollars a gallon and we would pay it! Even if it meant skipping the light bill, extras at the store, we would be forced to pay it because of our dependency.

Point to my long winded ramble: I take umbrage with people who have no regard for fuel consumption. Even if I was wealthy, I'd still conserve fuel. Bottom line: I don't want to be a selfish person contributing to an uncertain economy. I have concern for my daughters future. If you think times are hard now, just wait.

If only the generation before mine thought that way...oh wait! I may be on to something? Lol
Take oil off the commodities market and let there be true supply and demand.....the Wall Street puds are the ones manipulating the price so those Hedge Fund Managers can get Billion Dollar paydays....
Old 5/26/13, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Another worthless comment to this worthless thread.

Fixed it for you.
Old 5/26/13, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only from an environmental perspective, but also strategically from a national security perspective it also makes sense to keep your own oil in the ground and "use somebody else's oil". We do have billions and billions of barrels of oil in the ground in America. But I really don't think it would be smart to flood the market with cheap oil. It would drive the profitability of alternative energy to the red thus causing R&D to stop. Remember, oil is a scarce resource. If we don't get off the teat of oil, then you are in a situation where you deplete all this "cheap oil", you have no reserves left, and you've also destroyed your own alternative energy industry.

While it may seem painful to pay 4 bucks a gallon for gas (which I think is relatively cheap for a scarce resource like this), I think from a longer term perspective, it actually is a smart move to delay digging that oil until you absolutely need it even though it is also painful because of the dependency on some that aren't the most friendly towards us.
Old 5/26/13, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love these energy debates.

Energy requirements differ from region to region, tremendously. That's what makes the United States. That's also why it's people are ultimately unable to agree upon a full energy policy now.

I find that those in the NE states traditionally have the worse mileage (I'm getting 11 MPG but the car is only driven on weekends going into the City - not good for mileage , plus I'm not entirely sure what they sell is even majority content gasoline anymore ) while I find that others getting the magical 22+ number are in areas/driving patterns with LOTS of flat roads at 50 MPH.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 5/26/13 at 12:21 PM.
Old 5/26/13, 12:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by db2797
Not only from an environmental perspective, but also strategically from a national security perspective it also makes sense to keep your own oil in the ground and "use somebody else's oil". We do have billions and billions of barrels of oil in the ground in America. But I really don't think it would be smart to flood the market with cheap oil. It would drive the profitability of alternative energy to the red thus causing R&D to stop. Remember, oil is a scarce resource. If we don't get off the teat of oil, then you are in a situation where you deplete all this "cheap oil", you have no reserves left, and you've also destroyed your own alternative energy industry.

While it may seem painful to pay 4 bucks a gallon for gas (which I think is relatively cheap for a scarce resource like this), I think from a longer term perspective, it actually is a smart move to delay digging that oil until you absolutely need it even though it is also painful because of the dependency on some that aren't the most friendly towards us.
True to some degree. However, you know and I know that the oil reserves on US is for WWIII.

Scary, sad, and true.
Old 5/26/13, 12:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My opinion is that fuel economy is just another area of car performance and I want my car to perform well in that regard just like it does in acceleration and handling.

I appreciate my cars ability to go fast when I want it to and to drive sedately and economically when I want it to.
Right. Engineering prowess is not limited to horsepower. Monitoring mileage is also a way to monitor engine condition. I know my baselines and if it drifts I know something needs investigating/tuning.

I love that I can put in a tank of 91 and pickup some extra torque for a play day, then switch back to 87 for general daily driving and/or trips. My all around daily is 23.5, my best is 27 on flat highway on cruise. And on a recent trip that incl 2 lane flat, up and over 5k pass and all the fun shifting and accelerating through the curves, then flat freeway, and back home climbing the pass again, avg 25.1 actual by math. Love it!

35 out of the 6 is pretty amazing.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/26/13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 5/26/13, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
You guys getting 26+ hwy mpg out of a 5.0 must have some FLAT highways to drive on, cuz around here the only way I come even CLOSE to 25-26 is if I set the cruise at 55-60 and then it feels like I could get out and run faster.
And for every 5mph I go faster I seem to lose 1-2 mpg's ...

Most tanks I'm averaging 15-16 mpg, I recently had 2 tanks in a row where I was at 12.2-12.3 mpg, even shocked me how close they were. But that was after getting the resonators deleted and I enjoyed my new exhaust set-up a bit too much I guess, lol
And in 36,000 miles of driving mine, I've never had a tank as bad as your average, even the tank that included 30 mins of lapping Road America. 21.6 overall mileage and 25-27 on the highway between 70-80.

Last edited by kylerohde; 5/26/13 at 01:39 PM.
Old 5/26/13, 01:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are scared to push the gas pedal then you need a Prius.
You better hope Ford can keep getting better mileage out of a V8. With a 54 MPG CAFE average looming in just over 10 years, it's going to have to improve or we might all be driving turbo V6's at best.
Old 5/26/13, 01:55 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by kylerohde

You better hope Ford can keep getting better mileage out of a V8. With a 54 MPG CAFE average looming in just over 10 years, it's going to have to improve or we might all be driving turbo V6's at best.
No we wont.. ill still be in my 97 cobra
Old 5/26/13, 08:55 PM
GTR Member

Fixed it for you.
And another worthless addition, go crap on someone else's thread.
Old 5/27/13, 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Just made a trip up to Dallas, ran 205.7 miles from fuel up to fuel up point on 7.68 gallons of 93 octane gas, made for 26.8 mpg, dash readout showed 26.3 mpg. Cruise set on 67 most of the way trying to get a good number.

This same run in my old '12 V6 netted 35.7 mpg, so I gave up right at 9 mpg on the highway.

On my return trip I'm going to run the speed limit, which is 75 mph for quite a bit of the route and see how far down from the 26.8 that brings me.
Getting back to the OP post, WOW that is good MPG. I haven't made any straight highway runs yet, but my average MPG has been 17 to 19 MPG combined while driving normally. Do you think 93 octane contributed (I have never run 93 octane)? I think 26 MPG for a GT is great.
Old 5/27/13, 08:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by elkk

Getting back to the OP post, WOW that is good MPG. I haven't made any straight highway runs yet, but my average MPG has been 17 to 19 MPG combined while driving normally. Do you think 93 octane contributed (I have never run 93 octane)? I think 26 MPG for a GT is great.
I've only got 212 miles on mine So take it for what it's worth. I'm currently at 18.6mpg. Haven't been able to keep my foot out of the gas pedal yet. I've been doing next to 0 flat driving. Everything is hills or mountains So far. I only run 93 in it. One of these days I'll get some actual highway numbers. However, for all the power I'm quite Happy with the 18.6. Could be a lot worse.
Old 5/27/13, 08:47 AM
GT Member

I've had my '12 5.0 Premium custom dyno tuned (on the dyno)...not a "canned" tune. I went to a Mustang Show 350 miles away from my home two weeks ago. 93 octane, 75mph, A/C running the entire time and got 26.6 mpg average. In town I am getting 20-22mpg. Get a real tune on a good dyno at someplace you trust and then can really appreciate the car!
Old 5/27/13, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
with the guys who monitor mileage 1) out of curiosity, 2) to monitor the car's health, 3) I daily drive my cars 50mi a day - I need to make sure I'm getting my money's worth at the pump.

To the guys that buy a second car (v6 or Prius or otherwise) just to save gas - that is absolutely retarded and asinine. The $25-35k you spent on a second car could have allowed you to drive your GT however you want, and then have money leftover. I have two cars, but not to save gas - my Escape is for camping/going shooting/light offroading, and the GT is for the fun. The GT gets better mpg than the Escape too.
Old 5/27/13, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe
You guys getting 26+ hwy mpg out of a 5.0 must have some FLAT highways to drive on, cuz around here the only way I come even CLOSE to 25-26 is if I set the cruise at 55-60 and then it feels like I could get out and run faster.
And for every 5mph I go faster I seem to lose 1-2 mpg's ...

Most tanks I'm averaging 15-16 mpg, I recently had 2 tanks in a row where I was at 12.2-12.3 mpg, even shocked me how close they were. But that was after getting the resonators deleted and I enjoyed my new exhaust set-up a bit too much I guess, lol
ditto here too. Car says "13.2 MPG" right now on the display. heh.
Old 5/27/13, 12:32 PM
GTR Member

Y'all also need to remember this is a 3.73 gear car.

Well, 75 mph on the way back sure knocked it down, also had a head wind.

Cruise on 75, 211.4 miles, 9.91 gallons, 21.33 mpg... OUCH!

And it's amazing, all the cars that were just flying by me doing well over 80 in the 75 mph speed limit.

Oh well, I don't do that many long trips in my car.
Old 5/27/13, 02:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Just made a trip up to Dallas, ran 205.7 miles from fuel up to fuel up point on 7.68 gallons of 93 octane gas, made for 26.8 mpg, dash readout showed 26.3 mpg. Cruise set on 67 most of the way trying to get a good number.

This same run in my old '12 V6 netted 35.7 mpg, so I gave up right at 9 mpg on the highway.

On my return trip I'm going to run the speed limit, which is 75 mph for quite a bit of the route and see how far down from the 26.8 that brings me.
We're doing about the same mileage. The Wifey's has the auto tranny, and at 70 it will average 26 - 26.5 with the cruise set. It is very close to her previous 4.6L GT with the auto. Can't complain.

BTW, why can't a person talk about his mpg's without all the BS from others?
Old 5/27/13, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

To the guys that buy a second car (v6 or Prius or otherwise) just to save gas - that is absolutely retarded and asinine. The $25-35k you spent on a second car could have allowed you to drive your GT however you want, and then have money leftover.
Who in this thread said they bought a second car (v6) to save money? It surely wasn't me if that's who you were referring to. I bought a second car a GT to make my track specific car. My v6 was my FIRST car which I bought knowing I'd eventually want a track specific car. So that 25-35k is used specifically for that...to drive the car exactly the way I want it which is as a track specific car. My DD is my V6 which is very good on gas mileage and allows me to save money to put directly into my track car.
Old 5/27/13, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I am getting a average of 16.9 on my GT, since day one, left the trip meter on, somedays I drive fast some days I drive slow. Beats the heck out of my 97 F150 which got 12 on a good day. I am happy!!

Quick Reply: GT Fuel economy...