Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GT Fuel economy...

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/13, 03:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT Fuel economy...

Just made a trip up to Dallas, ran 205.7 miles from fuel up to fuel up point on 7.68 gallons of 93 octane gas, made for 26.8 mpg, dash readout showed 26.3 mpg. Cruise set on 67 most of the way trying to get a good number.

This same run in my old '12 V6 netted 35.7 mpg, so I gave up right at 9 mpg on the highway.

On my return trip I'm going to run the speed limit, which is 75 mph for quite a bit of the route and see how far down from the 26.8 that brings me.
Attached Thumbnails GT Fuel economy...-67-mph-26-mpg.jpg  

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 5/25/13 at 03:44 PM.
Old 5/25/13, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Just made a trip up to Dallas, ran 205.7 miles from fuel up to fuel up point on 7.68 gallons of 93 octane gas, made for 26.8 mpg, dash readout showed 26.3 mpg.

This same run in my old '12 V6 netted 35.7 mpg, so I gave up right at 9 mpg on the highway.

On my return trip I'm going to run the speed limit, which is 75 mph for quite a bit of the route and see how far down from the 26.8 that brings me.
Mine starts making coughing sounds at about 210 miles...if I'm driving "conservatively"...

I left one of my trip odo's on from picking up the car to see what avg. mpg, etc., would be at different points in time...yeah. It's ugly. Fortunately, it was a curiosity and not something I was using to gauge my driving style. I was able to reach the fabled "24mpg" mark on one stretch of road, driving with a tailwind, going downhill, for about .75 miles...
Old 5/25/13, 04:37 PM
GTR Member

Well, if I were independently wealthy then I might not care what gas mileage it gets, but I'm not so I do.

At least it did better than the EPA rating.

I figure it will probably lose 3-4 mpg running at 75 on the return trip, we'll see...
Old 5/25/13, 06:07 PM
lug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can hit the low 20's with cruise on and after I get past the lights and mini hills to some flat land but that depends on the NODMUF's staying home to telecommute.
Old 5/25/13, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, if I were independently wealthy then I might not care what gas mileage it gets, but I'm not so I do.

At least it did better than the EPA rating.

I figure it will probably lose 3-4 mpg running at 75 on the return trip, we'll see...
If MPG is an issue then you should have stuck with a v6.
Old 5/25/13, 08:45 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
If MPG is an issue then you should have stuck with a v6.
MPG is always an issue with me, was on the V6 too, so does that mean I should have just bought a prius?

Opinions like that are worthless, just like the guys who say that you should just buy a GT instead of modding a V6.

My opinion is that fuel economy is just another area of car performance and I want my car to perform well in that regard just like it does in acceleration and handling.

I appreciate my cars ability to go fast when I want it to and to drive sedately and economically when I want it to.
Old 5/25/13, 09:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
"Don't fear the Reaper."

Sorry had to lighten the mood of this thread.
Old 5/25/13, 11:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The difference in gas mileage between the V6 and GT is definitely quite significant Ltngdrvr. Having both a GT and a V6, I'm glad I do have the V6 as a daily driver since I drive about 70 miles round trip. From my track day trips in my GT, I'd say what I can do in 7 days of gas I'd probably only get 4 days in my GT. That definitely adds up to fairly large chunk of change over the course of a year.
Old 5/25/13, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Like I always say, "You gotta pay to play." But, I miss my '07 GT mileage of 18/26 on 87 octane.
Old 5/26/13, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Temporarily have v6 and v8. I got 26 on the Boss with cruise at 69 and 24 with it at 79 mph. They are both 2012's with MT82's. V6 has a 3.31 and the Boss has a 3.73. The V6 gets 28 hwy routinely, and I've gotten as high as 31 on trips. City dramatically worse on both, but I'm pleased with what is possible in both cars. I think the 5.0's make you pay a much bigger premium for mixed/city and 'spirited' driving.
Old 5/26/13, 07:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
You guys getting 26+ hwy mpg out of a 5.0 must have some FLAT highways to drive on, cuz around here the only way I come even CLOSE to 25-26 is if I set the cruise at 55-60 and then it feels like I could get out and run faster.
And for every 5mph I go faster I seem to lose 1-2 mpg's ...

Most tanks I'm averaging 15-16 mpg, I recently had 2 tanks in a row where I was at 12.2-12.3 mpg, even shocked me how close they were. But that was after getting the resonators deleted and I enjoyed my new exhaust set-up a bit too much I guess, lol
Old 5/26/13, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm sorry but who really cares....because Muscle Car. I didn't buy this car so I would worry about how much fuel I was putting into it. I've been known to produce tire smoke when in the presence of the Prius species of parasite.
Old 5/26/13, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm sorry but who really cares....because Muscle Car. I didn't buy this car so I would worry about how much fuel I was putting into it. I've been known to produce tire smoke when in the presence of the Prius species of parasite.
Lol ... I have a sticker roughly 18" long that says "Gladly burning the fuel that your Prius saves" that I put on the dash at the last car show - it got a lot of smiles from readers
Old 5/26/13, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Nothing personal: This is the mentality that has has made us more dependent on foreign oil, inflated prices at the pump, (and as a result) bltch slapped our environment. I'm not saying go hug a tree either but have some consideration for others and your children's future.

"Be careful of Viper and Lamborghini." "They make big muscle car too." While you're the little lady bug eating the parasite Aphids. (Prius) They are the Mantis... Better yet, the farmer with hedgers. Lol
Old 5/26/13, 08:59 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

Nothing personal: This is the mentality that has has made us more dependent on foreign oil, inflated prices at the pump, (and as a result) bltch slapped our environment. I'm not saying go hug a tree either but have some consideration for others and your children's future.

"Be careful of Viper and Lamborghini." "They make big muscle car too." While you're the little lady bug eating the parasite Aphids. (Prius) They are the Mantis... Better yet, the farmer with hedgers. Lol
The U.S. honestly has no need to be on forign oil... we have proven there is more that 25 years of oil not only for our cars, but all our uses of it, under our soil.. we as a country chose to not drill and buy from another country. And thats only what is found. There is more down there. We just gotta look.
Old 5/26/13, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

What a turn this thread took.

I keep an eye on my mileage as a way to know when something is wrong, or to know how far I can go before needing fuel, as I like to visit a few select fuel stations consistently.
Old 5/26/13, 09:02 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I can see how some of you would be worried about mileage. As for me im happy with my 10-12 mpg.

Out of curiosity. Your original test. Whats your elevation and tempature like? Wonder if that would play a big role in your current economy.?
Old 5/26/13, 09:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Whenever this topic is brought up it seems to start a fight. You can get a gt to reasonable mpg numbers. I use the right foot mod abd average 19 mpg in partly stop and go traffic in a 60 mile 2 abd half hours worth of commuting Monday through Friday. I get about 12-14 on the weekend when I drive for myself.

I can't afford 2 cars. This is my only vehicle. The split nature of the gt depending on how you drive it is like having 2 cars. During the week I keep it around 65 mph when the road opens up and shift early. On the weekends I rev it hard and have a blast.
I think folks on this thread are both right. We should do our best to conserve gas and money. We should also not deny ourselves the joy these cars can offer. The wisdom is in knowing the time and the place for each. I hope to someday find that balance, for now, I'll just enjoy my car. I hope all of you can do the same.
Old 5/26/13, 09:24 AM

My apologies for jacking the thread. I get heated up for alot if reasons over this topic. I'm originally from Alaska and yes, the state could supply a large portion of oil and solve some of our problems but we refuse to drill. I know all the "reasons" but really...why?!

I also absolutely despise paying 4.00 bucks a gallon here. (Even with the V6.) It adds up quickly and I look at the bill each month and feel guilty because its money I could have used for my daughter.

YES it's a part of life but our dependency on oil is what is skyrocketing the gas prices.Those foreign puds continue to increase the price per barrel because they can! Like helpless little kittens sucking on a tet... We frantically meow for it.

Mark my words, they could charge 10 dollars a gallon and we would pay it! Even if it meant skipping the light bill, extras at the store, we would be forced to pay it because of our dependency.

Point to my long winded ramble: I take umbrage with people who have no regard for fuel consumption. Even if I was wealthy, I'd still conserve fuel. Bottom line: I don't want to be a selfish person contributing to an uncertain economy. I have concern for my daughters future. If you think times are hard now, just wait.

If only the generation before mine thought that way...oh wait! I may be on to something? Lol

Last edited by Getportfolio; 5/26/13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 5/26/13, 09:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
MPG is always an issue with me, was on the V6 too, so does that mean I should have just bought a prius?

Opinions like that are worthless, just like the guys who say that you should just buy a GT instead of modding a V6.

My opinion is that fuel economy is just another area of car performance and I want my car to perform well in that regard just like it does in acceleration and handling.

I appreciate my cars ability to go fast when I want it to and to drive sedately and economically when I want it to.
If you are scared to push the gas pedal then you need a Prius.

Quick Reply: GT Fuel economy...