Sponsored By:

Got some police attention today...

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/10, 11:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got some police attention today...

...the positive kind!

I was stopped at a light and an unmarked unit rolled up next to me with a uniformed officer inside. He honks, looks at me and motions for me to roll down the window. I am thinking dammit, was I speeding... Anyways, I roll down the window and he says "How do you like it?" I say I love it. He says "it's the first one I've seen on the street it looks great" He went on to tell me how much he loved my wheels etc. (I just put on new wheels, pics coming when the rain stops here)

I was going to work him for a "get out of a ticket free card" but the light changed and we went our own ways.

Nice to see that some police are still car guys.
Old 9/8/10, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome... simply awesome!
Old 9/8/10, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Too bad all the cops here are tough asses

Nice story
Old 9/8/10, 11:21 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Great story. What wheels do you have?

Just last week I was driving by our Police Dept. downtown and a detective was crossing the street and stopped me. I'm like oh crap what's this gonna be about. He then asked me about all the mods I'd done to the car and said he could hear then exhaust and supercharger whine from down the street. He just kept saying awesome car, I love what you've done to it. It was really cool.
Old 9/9/10, 06:22 AM

Maybe a free test drive offer would qualify for a "get out of a ticket" card?
Old 9/9/10, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ireallycare
Too bad all the cops here are tough asses

Nice story
Sounds like you have many personal relationships with police officers. You've undoubtedly hung out with them and seen how they are with their families.

One of my best friends is PD. About a year ago, a plot was uncovered involving the Aryan Nation. They had wanted to kill a cop and his family to make a statement of some sort. They had targeted my Friend (whom I've known since he was 15 yrs old) simply because they had a member who lived down the block from him. They had watched him and knew what days he worked. What time he went to his car each day. Where his wife and his 3 kids (1 year old twins and a 4 year old boy) stood while they waved good bye to daddy. How he held his coffee and which hands he used when opening his car. Basically the best time to shot him so that it would take a little longer to get to his gun.

Their plan was ultimately to kill the cop, his wife and baby, then rob the house. I guess you might evolve into a tough *** when you and your babies are targeted for death simply because you grew up wanting to serve the community. Interestingly this friend grew up with a scum bag drug dealing hells angel as a father. He suffered abuse all of his childhood. In his teen years he moved out on his own so that he could go to a quality high school and make something of himself.

Another friend was stabbed through the bicep trying to take a guy into custody who had just stabbed a sales kid in the mall. He's now disabled at age 27.

A friend of a friend was shot in the leg taking into custody a violent gang member. They amputated his leg from the knee down.

As a side note the both of the previous bad guys were shot dead by the officers they tried to kill.

Cops need to be tough. But, they are also very often some outstanding people!
Old 9/9/10, 11:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eric n
Sounds like you have many personal relationships with police officers. You've undoubtedly hung out with them and seen how they are with their families.

One of my best friends is PD. About a year ago, a plot was uncovered involving the Aryan Nation. They had wanted to kill a cop and his family to make a statement of some sort. They had targeted my Friend (whom I've known since he was 15 yrs old) simply because they had a member who lived down the block from him. They had watched him and knew what days he worked. What time he went to his car each day. Where his wife and his 3 kids (1 year old twins and a 4 year old boy) stood while they waved good bye to daddy. How he held his coffee and which hands he used when opening his car. Basically the best time to shot him so that it would take a little longer to get to his gun.

Their plan was ultimately to kill the cop, his wife and baby, then rob the house. I guess you might evolve into a tough *** when you and your babies are targeted for death simply because you grew up wanting to serve the community. Interestingly this friend grew up with a scum bag drug dealing hells angel as a father. He suffered abuse all of his childhood. In his teen years he moved out on his own so that he could go to a quality high school and make something of himself.

Another friend was stabbed through the bicep trying to take a guy into custody who had just stabbed a sales kid in the mall. He's now disabled at age 27.

A friend of a friend was shot in the leg taking into custody a violent gang member. They amputated his leg from the knee down.

As a side note the both of the previous bad guys were shot dead by the officers they tried to kill.

Eric yes it's true that cops have to be tough. But there's a difference betweem tough, and taking the job to their head. Many cops that I've encounterd through out the years I'd say about 90% were A holes. Being jerks, arrogant human beings. They feel just because they have a uniform and a badge on they feel they can treat you like your less then a human then they are.

You know some police that are buddy of yours and can vouche he is a really kool dude, but I mean I'm sure you have had a run in with a person of the law and was a total A hole. Now I'm Not saying all police are A holes, but you can understand why the person would assume that all cops out here are A holes.
Old 9/9/10, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
...but you can understand why the person would assume that all cops out here are A holes.
I can't. Maybe it's because so many people (like you, maybe?) have a chip on their shoulder for some reason. The cop that pulls you over probably has a reason, but nobody wants to hear that... he/she should be out chasing real bad guys and not writing traffic tickets.

Sit quietly with your hands on the wheel when they approach your car, answer their questions politely, sign the ticket, then thank them for the job they do. You might need one of them one day.
Old 9/9/10, 01:49 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eric n
Like any profession, I'm sure there are some good and some bad personalities. And I can totally believe the content of the post you listed - police in the US have a far far more difficult job in the States than they do in Canada. I totally respect and empathize with the dangers with the people they have to deal with. I imagine even a simple traffic stop could be a life and death situation.

But up here in Canada, I have to agree with DaSFGiants4Life and ireallycare. Most are a-holes.

I know a lot of police up here (through family and friends), and this covers municipal cops like City of Vancouver/City of Edmonton as well as RCMP... and by far the majority are, for lack of a better word, a-holes. Yes these are family and friends so I do know their personalities/families/etc.

It's almost like the job attracts a-holes. Harder and harder to find the "I'm doing this to help society" type. Most are the "I want to be the big man and push people around" type.

Of course YMMV. Just my 2 cents from my experiences.
Old 9/9/10, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
I can't. Maybe it's because so many people (like you, maybe?) have a chip on their shoulder for some reason. The cop that pulls you over probably has a reason, but nobody wants to hear that... he/she should be out chasing real bad guys and not writing traffic tickets.

Sit quietly with your hands on the wheel when they approach your car, answer their questions politely, sign the ticket, then thank them for the job they do. You might need one of them one day.

I have no problem with getting a ticket at all especially, if I was doing something where I deserved one. I DO have a problem while giving me a ticket they do not treat you with the respect and courtesey you treat them with.
Old 9/9/10, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My experience has been along the lines of that famous Mark Twain statement:
When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
When I was young I often felt that police were ******** that had nothing better to do than harass young people in cars. For the past 15 years or so, I have been heavily involved in local motorcycle groups and charity events that bring me into regular contact with LEOs all over the state. Every last one of them has been helpful and courteous with the exception of one traffic sergeant who warned us not to get in the way on "his" roads.

Yes, every profession has its jerks. But for the most part, I've found that our police will respond with courtesy and respect if treated that way themselves.
Old 9/9/10, 02:38 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Honestly, I have yet to meet a douchebag cop. Every one I've ever talked to has been respectful to me, and seemed like a nice guy just doing his job.

Though you still freak out a bit when you're at your neighborhood park at 11pm, and 1 shows up, sits you and your buddies down for your information and withing 2 minutes there's 4 more cars

I'm soon to be 18, never been pulled over or anything, just a couple run ins being asked to leave somewhere
Old 9/9/10, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

Same thing happened to me here in Winnipeg today too. The police asked me if I had an opportunity to burn the tires and run it through the gears yet and my response was" I value my license and the tires are too expensive." We all had a good laugh...
Old 9/9/10, 04:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Old 9/9/10, 04:51 PM
V6 Member

I have never really had an experience with a cop who was an a-hole. I have dealt with some that were short or curt but that is not unprofessional or disrespectful. I always approach a police officer with respect and civility. You never know what type of situation they are just coming from. They may be all jacked up from some earlier event or be in an unpleasant mood because they had to deal with something horrific.

The key is to be respectful and don't try to lie to them or BS them. When I get pulled over, I don't make up stories or argue. Usually, if I get police attention, it's because I earned it in some way. I have been let go twice recently for speeding (80mph) and I think it is due to my attitude primarily.

I didn't always feel this way...it has come with age and a better understanding of the big picture.

I'm not saying there aren't douchebag police out there. There are...just like there are d-bag doctors, lawyers, fireman, accountants, etc, etc, etc.

This officer was obviously cool and a car enthusiast. My pleasant exchange with him may help him perceive Mustang owners in a more positive light in general and that is a good thing.

Jim
Old 9/9/10, 04:55 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cops are people! some are dicks and some are people would like to be friends with.
Old 9/9/10, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Great story. What wheels do you have?

I just got some CS69 Limited Editions in 20x8.5 and 20x10 shod in Nitto Invos 255/35/20 and 295/35/20

Love them and they look great. I will take pics as soon as the rain stops and I can clean her up some.
Old 9/9/10, 06:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jimb05
I just got some CS69 Limited Editions in 20x8.5 and 20x10 shod in Nitto Invos 255/35/20 and 295/35/20

Love them and they look great. I will take pics as soon as the rain stops and I can clean her up some.

Sorry, had to do it!
Old 9/9/10, 06:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jimb05
I was stopped at a light and an unmarked unit rolled up next to me with a uniformed officer inside. He honks, looks at me and motions for me to roll down the window. I am thinking dammit, was I speeding... Anyways, I roll down the window and he says "How do you like it?"
i would be temped to respond...none of your business,and don't you have anything better to do then signal me to ask about my car! whats your badge number and who's your commander...
Old 9/9/10, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I interact with police officers on a daily basis. Good guys : tough job.

Quick Reply: Got some police attention today...