Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Good outdoor car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/10, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Good outdoor car cover?

Can anyone offer a suggestion for a quality...but reasonably priced outdoor car cover that will protect the finish in the case that some poor bastard is forced to store his car outside for the cold winter months??

Any suggestions or tips would be massively appreciated!!
Old 8/18/10, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in an apartment complex so I will have to store my car outside. I planned on getting this car cover when I store the car. OEM Car Cover This is what Ford would sell to you but at a cheaper price.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's made by Covercraft which is a reputable brand for car covers and is one of their top of the line covers.

Last edited by WildPony619; 8/18/10 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Update
Old 8/18/10, 11:41 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've ordered twice thru Costco (CoverKing). Great price great custom fit for my B and my brand x winter car. They run them on sale about every 6 mos for about $119.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...US&Sp=C&topnav=

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/18/10 at 11:44 AM.
Old 8/18/10, 11:46 AM
GT Member

I use a California Car Cover, works great, fits the car perfect! I have the Stormweave and has held up great against, rain, bird droppings and berries that fell on it.

"Stormweave's dense construction cushions against parking lot dings and is resistant to tears and punctures. Stormweave is highly water resistant and blocks 99% of ultraviolet rays from the sun and has a 180 UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor); while other cheap imitation fabrics may have a UPF rating of only 40. This is important because UV rays are what damage both the interior and exterior of your vehicle; block the UV rays…protect the vehicle! Stormweave can help protect your vehicle's interior and finish from sun, rain, snow, dew, industrial pollutants, tree sap and animal droppings. This unique four-layer fabric construction includes two center layers made of short, dense fibers that act as a moisture barrier to repel water, yet allow the passage of air. 4-year limited warranty. Available in Grey, Tan and Blue. Made in the U.S.A."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30023725@N07/4679692276/

Last edited by mustang1979; 8/18/10 at 11:50 AM.
Old 8/18/10, 11:53 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I've ordered twice thru Costco (CoverKing). Great price great custom fit for my B and my brand x winter car. They run them on sale about every 6 mos for about $119.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...US&Sp=C&topnav=
ok charlie, what is your 'Brand x' winter car? I've seen you mention it numerous times and curiosity has gotten the best of me. PM if necessary
Old 8/18/10, 12:03 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
ok charlie, what is your 'Brand x' winter car? I've seen you mention it numerous times and curiosity has gotten the best of me. PM if necessary
LOL America's version of "the bug". (PT )
I needed a 4 banger that I could put chains on & haul ranch stuff in the winter. Ford didn't have anything in my price range and the Focus doesn't have enough clearance - ground or wheel - and no hatchback. So went Chrysler. It has turned out to be a fun little car and works great up to about a foot of snow. Then its F150 4x time.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/18/10 at 12:05 PM.
Old 8/18/10, 12:06 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL America's version of "the bug". (PT )
I needed a 4 banger that I could put chains on & haul ranch stuff in the winter. Ford didn't have anything in my price range and the Focus doesn't have enough clearance - ground or wheel - and no hatchback. So went Chrysler. It has turned out to be a fun little car and works great up to about a foot of snow. Then its F150 4x time.
thanks for sharing man that was killing me lol
Old 8/18/10, 12:08 PM
Cobra R Member

http://www.partscheap.com/2010_Ford_...z-19a412-b.htm
Old 8/18/10, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, another poor bastard here who has no garage and lives in New England
Old 8/18/10, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Thanks for the info guys, another poor bastard here who has no garage and lives in New England
I am the same boat, in CT...Trying to find a garage to rent since my motorcycle is stored in my mothers garage now and cant fit the car in there with the workshop in there.
Old 8/18/10, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustang1979
I am the same boat, in CT...Trying to find a garage to rent since my motorcycle is stored in my mothers garage now and cant fit the car in there with the workshop in there.
Originally Posted by Bert
Me too. I need to find a garage for the winter too. If it becomes too much of a hustle or expensive I'll sell my Honda and buy winter tires for the Mustang.
Old 8/18/10, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustang1979
I use a California Car Cover, works great, fits the car perfect! I have the Stormweave and has held up great against, rain, bird droppings and berries that fell on it.

"Stormweave's dense construction cushions against parking lot dings and is resistant to tears and punctures. Stormweave is highly water resistant and blocks 99% of ultraviolet rays from the sun and has a 180 UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor); while other cheap imitation fabrics may have a UPF rating of only 40. This is important because UV rays are what damage both the interior and exterior of your vehicle; block the UV rays…protect the vehicle! Stormweave can help protect your vehicle's interior and finish from sun, rain, snow, dew, industrial pollutants, tree sap and animal droppings. This unique four-layer fabric construction includes two center layers made of short, dense fibers that act as a moisture barrier to repel water, yet allow the passage of air. 4-year limited warranty. Available in Grey, Tan and Blue. Made in the U.S.A."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30023725@N07/4679692276/
Where did you buy this cover? I like this one because it protects against dings.
Old 8/18/10, 01:33 PM
Post *****

I just don't see spending several hundred dollars. Costco/CoverKing's is waterproof, breathable, custom fit, USA made, and affordable. I use it outdoors in the summer and indoors too in the garage when the B is in storage.

A few weeks back got a hard hailstorm for 20 mins. Marble sized hail was pounding down (and I was prayin hard!!). Thankfully not one dent!
Attached Images    
Old 8/18/10, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys rock... thanks a million!!

cdynaco,
I love the price on that Costco cover!! It looks like the hail was pretty nasty there... but it might not be as bad as the local acorns... is there any padding to it at all?

There are a lot of New England folks on here!! Nice to see some neighbors on the forums. I'm in the CT/Hartford area...not the best part of the country for Mustang ownership but at least there are some nice winding country roads around.
Old 8/18/10, 05:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by MRGTX
cdynaco,
I love the price on that Costco cover!! It looks like the hail was pretty nasty there... but it might not be as bad as the local acorns... is there any padding to it at all?
No its not a 4 layer like storm weave. The underside is smooth - but not a cotton liner. However, I'm pretty sure a chunk of ice falling from a 10,000' thunderhead hits harder than an acorn... I know the horses sure weren't happy!

Here's the factory link for their pitch. The 'Material' link in the upper right goes in to detail. I was told by Coverking the one from Costco Online is the 'Silver Guard Plus'.

http://www.coverking.com/c-1-custom-car-covers.aspx
Old 8/18/10, 05:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've had 2 Covercraft car covers and have been very happy and satisfied with them. My car stays inside though.
Old 8/18/10, 05:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just don't see spending several hundred dollars. Costco/CoverKing's is waterproof, breathable, custom fit, USA made, and affordable. I use it outdoors in the summer and indoors too in the garage when the B is in storage.

A few weeks back got a hard hailstorm for 20 mins. Marble sized hail was pounding down (and I was prayin hard!!). Thankfully not one dent!
Is that a shovel i'm seeing there on the porch !
Old 8/18/10, 06:00 PM
Post *****

LOL eyeyup! No reason to move em. Especially when all hail breaks lose and the temp drops from low 90's to 52 in 30 mins in the middle of the day in July, anything can happen!
Attached Images  

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/18/10 at 06:02 PM.
Old 8/19/10, 07:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by newpony
Where did you buy this cover? I like this one because it protects against dings.
http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_find.aspx

Came in about a week. Fits perfect for the car (see my previous post with picture). Has yet to scratch my vehicle and fits in the trunk folded up every time. Every morning, I take a microfiber and just wiped down the car after taking the cover off.

The company is good also, they have live chats for help, and when I ripped the cover (because I opened the trunk and got the cover stuck in the trunk without realizing, went to pull the cover off and got a quarter sized rip. They sent me a free patch kit within two days to adhere to my cover (same color and style). So they were good for customer service.

I went by word of mouth for them, and everyone recommended them or http://www.carcoverusa.com/NOAH-Car-Cover.html .. I physically saw the California Car Cover (of all places in California) and decided to go with them.
Old 8/19/10, 07:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
You guys rock... thanks a million!!

cdynaco,

There are a lot of New England folks on here!! Nice to see some neighbors on the forums. I'm in the CT/Hartford area...not the best part of the country for Mustang ownership but at least there are some nice winding country roads around.
I am down in Wallingford! Not too far from ya.

Quick Reply: Good outdoor car cover?