Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Going to the Dealer soon, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/10, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to the Dealer soon, advice?

Whats good guys?

Ive been lurking for a few months now and Im getting serious about making a purchase.

Im currently looking at a GT premium, Brembo, security, MAYBE electronics package..

ford side quoted roughly 38k with the electronics and 35.8k without, im still debating whether its worth it.

anyways, im considering giving a good size down payment, 7500 - 10k depending how much difference it makes.

i would obviously like to pay under sticker (who wouldnt?) but i wanted some advise as to what i should stay away from and what i sould look for at the dealer. i read a post a while ago about a similar question and the guy that posted was giving some really good advice, unfortunately i cant find the **** post!!!

any help?

btw, im a chevy man at heart, but i cant hate on what ford has done with the Pony.. and the camaro cant touch it!

thanks
Jonny
Old 9/5/10, 03:58 PM
GT Member

Try to get the X-plan, that helps a lot.
Old 9/5/10, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are dealer price sheets on these forums. You should be able to get a car at invoice price. X-Plan is roughly the same as invoice, but saves you the trouble of haggling. Line up your financing before you go to the dealership. Capital One and Bank of America both have free online applications. Get your best rate then give the dealer a chance to beat it.
Old 9/5/10, 04:58 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Join the Mustang Club of America for $50 and when you get your membership you can get a x-plan pin.

Not only gets you a good price, it also limits the amout of the fees the dealer can charge you.
Old 9/5/10, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Join the Mustang Club of America for $50 and when you get your membership you can get a x-plan pin.

Not only gets you a good price, it also limits the amout of the fees the dealer can charge you.
+1

A $349 Doc fee was whittled down to $75.
Old 9/6/10, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
How's it going fellow bay area dude? Like they've said, X-plan is your easiest way to pay under msrp up here. Frontier Ford seems to be advertising big discounts on the 2011s though. Sales tax in CA is what kills us, so keeping the purchase price as low as possible is key. Good luck and welcome to TMS!
Old 9/6/10, 09:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jetlag
+1

A $349 Doc fee was whittled down to $75.
Also, read up on the threads here in TMS regarding 3.73 vs. 3.31 vs. 3.55 rear diff gear. There is no "best" choice, it depends on your wants/needs.

I will say that even though I care about gas mileage (my '11 is my DD), I don't like the 3.31; I wish I'd gotten a coupe with 3.55 (LOL, like THAT was available anywhere). The 3.31 is just so dang TALL in everyday driving; forget about 5th gear unless you're going above 40 or 45, and 6th is a bogging waste unless you are doing 50 to 55.

Definitely do what it takes to get the X-Plan (join MCA). The $75 max "processing fee" was worth an additional $424 for me (my dealer's normal PF was $499, total robbery). Not to mention all coupons, and rebates are applicable on top of the X-Plan deal. It's very stout, and saves a lot of bother, because you get the same price independent of which dealer you go to, so you can pick your favorite and/or closest Ford dealer.
Old 9/6/10, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

I got mine from Galpin for 750 under invoice by the time I added my rebates. Call Carlos in internet sales and tell him Eric from Bakersfield referred you. PCH would be a great drive home.
Old 9/6/10, 01:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Go to blue oval forums and ask for an X plan pin- the Ford employees on there give them to you for FREE. I did it a few years back and it was super easy to do.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...mployee-forum/

Last edited by Whammer; 9/6/10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 9/6/10, 03:14 PM

alright, so i signed up for MCA, still pending my membership... i guess ill go from there after it goes through. gonna test drive a car tomorrow since i havent done so yet. i will not be signing anything however, since i dont plan on making the purchase until next month.. ill let you guys know how it goes

Thanks a for all the replies!
L8er
Jonny
Old 9/6/10, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys for sharing the MCA info! I am going to join today!
Old 9/7/10, 01:21 PM

most ford dealers want 500 over invoice. I think in some states the cash rebate is 500 or 1000. go with the edmunds lowest price. that doesn't include the dum dum 40 something fuel charge. and of course the 500 ford advertising fee you must pay. good luck!

I would wear them down week after week on the phone for a in stock car. don't get stuck at the dealership for hours talking them down on the price. good luck!

Last edited by stangout; 9/7/10 at 01:28 PM.
Old 9/7/10, 04:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by stangout
most ford dealers want 500 over invoice. I think in some states the cash rebate is 500 or 1000. go with the edmunds lowest price. that doesn't include the dum dum 40 something fuel charge. and of course the 500 ford advertising fee you must pay. good luck!

I would wear them down week after week on the phone for a in stock car. don't get stuck at the dealership for hours talking them down on the price. good luck!
X-plan puts you at about $120-$150 over invoice with the above mentioned limits on dealer fees.
Old 9/7/10, 09:49 PM

so i went to the dealer (Hilltop Ford) today...

went inside and saw a GT500 with some sick looking rims.. "nice.." I told ppl i was there for the vip appointment and the first two guys looked at me crazy, then someone figured out what i was talking about. i then met adam. i had spoken on the phone with him a couple of days ago and was set to speak with him today but he had to go pick up his kids last minute so he left me with another salesmen, mohamed

mohamed showed me a california special 6speed, black. clean car, but not what i was looking for. took it for a test drive and was caught off guard because it was not what i expected. i guess i just havent fully let go of Shirley (78 vette).

anywho, the car was clean. i liked the interior a lot. i was actually considering the california special just because of the interior, but after i found out you couldnt get the brembos with it i lost interest.

other things i liked:
shifter
clutch
engine sound

things i didnt like:
back seats looked really cramped, but thats the least of my worries
i felt small in the car (again, i drove a 78 vette for 8 years of my life)

i soon realized i knew a lot more about the car mohamed, who didnt even know what the brembo package was.

after the test drive i asked if we could talk some numbers, figuratively. i made it clear that i was not looking to buy at the moment, merely checking the car out. we sat down and before going inside i took a peak at the window sticker on the cs and the msrp was 37k. it had 373s, comfort package and security package

i started by simply asking how much it would be, out the door, for the cs if i put 5k down. he started, as i had read about and expected, how much i wanted to pay a month. i quickly said i was more interested in the out the door price, and tried to make his job a little easier by saying i would be financing 32k for 60 months at 4.8% apr. i guess i overwhelmed him a bit because he quickly calculated taxes for me.... ...

after going back and forward like this for a few minutes i decided to mix things up a little by saing i wanted to pay 37500, with taxes and fees for the cs with 5,000 down, with a monthly of 500 on the cs. he quickly quit the bs and said he could fight for the price and maybe get me a lower monthly, not gonna lie, i got a little excited because i thought (and i might be wrong) that it was a great deal, and it was basically how much my car would be with the options i wanted (- the electronics package).

i kept composed and said it sounded like a good deal, but at the end of the day i was looking for a white 5.0 with brembos. he said he could talk to his manager and see what he could do for me or look around for a white 5.0 (a yes, the good friend routine), but i said id rather not take up any more of his time. i told him id rather go over it with Adam through email or something.

so howd i do? i smiled as much as i could before actually walking in and felt like i was pretty composed during the visit, poker face.

im planning on saying i want to put 5k down, see where that puts me with the price of the car and the monthly payments, then see how much the price will go down if i double my down payment.
what do you guys think?
Old 9/7/10, 10:11 PM
GTR Member

I think you didn't do well at all.

Why, why, would you say you wanted to pay 37.5 for a car with a 37 sticker??????????????????

Are you going to get the Mustang Club of America membership and get a x-plan PIN so you can get the car for just a hair over invoice?

The window sticker is not invoice, that's RETAIL price, x-plan will be probably 2500 or more less than sticker.
Old 9/7/10, 10:32 PM

LOL again i was just spitting numbers, and my xplan hasnt kicked in yet so i didnt even mention that. i dont plan on making a purchase till next month. thats why im asking questions. this is the first time i buy a new car, so this is all new to me.

the price i was asking for was out the door price, so after taxes and fees, not sure if i made that clear. 37000 - 2500 = 34500 x 9.5% tx = 37,777.5...

AAAAAany who.. like i said, i might have been mistaken.
Old 9/7/10, 10:37 PM
GTR Member

Go here: http://www.cars.com/go/configurator/colors.jsp and configure the car like you want it and it will give you the invoice price including the holdback.

Invoice plus .4% will get you the approximate x-pan pricing.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 9/7/10 at 10:49 PM.
Old 9/7/10, 10:56 PM
GTR Member

Cars.com Buy a Car Sell a Car Research a Car Car Finance Information Car Shopping Advice

Change Make | Model
2011 Ford Mustang (Change Year: 2010)
Save this Vehicle | See Saved Vehicles (0)
CITY
MPG
HIGHWAY
MPG
2011 Ford Mustang
GT Premium 2dr Coupe
Warranty | Standard Equip. | Specifications

MSRP1 Invoice2
Base Price $32,845 $30,265
Destination $850 $850
Gas Tax — —
Colors | Add — —

Options | Edit $3,080 $2,681

Total $36,775 $33,796

What is this?
$35,338*

* Price does not include customer cash-back incentives
Select Style Add Colors Add Options See Vehicle Summary Get a Quote 2011 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe pictured
Summary for the GT Premium 2dr Coupe MSRP1 Invoice2
Base Price $32,845 $30,265
Destination $850 $850
Colors
Options
400A Rapid Spec 400A N/C N/C
Engine: 5.0L 4V Ti-VCT V8
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Tires: P235/50WR18 BSW AS
Wheels: 18" x 8" Wide Spoke Painted Aluminum
Leather Bucket Seats
Radio: Shaker 500 AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CD/MP3

99F Engine: 5.0L 4V Ti-VCT V8 INC INC
44X Transmission: 6-Speed Manual INC INC
PAINT Monotone Paint Application STD STD
4 Leather Bucket Seats INC INC
912 Radio: Shaker 500 AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CD/MP3 INC INC
SIRIUS Satellite Radio

SIRIUS SIRIUS Satellite Radio INC INC
43S Security Package $395 $344
Active Anti-Theft System
Wheel Locking Kit

14A Active Anti-Theft System INC INC
17L Wheel Locking Kit INC INC
53B Comfort Package $595 $518
6-Way Power Passenger Seat
Heated Front Seats

POWER 6-Way Power Passenger Seat INC INC
65A Heated Front Seats INC INC
55D Brembo Brake Package $1,695 $1,475
Unique Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Tuning
Wheels: 19" x 9.0" Dark Stainless Painted Aluminum
Tires: P255/40R19 Performance
Tire Mobility Kit

ESC Unique Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Tuning INC INC
NONWL1 Wheels: 19" x 9.0" Dark Stainless Painted Aluminum INC INC
NONTR2 Tires: P255/40R19 Performance INC INC
KIT Tire Mobility Kit INC INC
457 3.73 Limited Slip Rear Axle $395 $344
13D Spoiler Delete N/C N/C
Total Price $36,775 $33,796

This car would be about $33,931 on x-plan
Old 9/8/10, 10:38 AM

wow, so yeah i was wrong.. hahaha.. thanks a lot
Old 9/8/10, 10:42 AM

so im active on MCA, what do i do next to get the x plan pin?

Quick Reply: Going to the Dealer soon, advice?