Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Going Bigger with Rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/13, 06:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
I will need to get new tires soon but will not go back to the crappy Pirelli's. I am thinking the Conti Extreme Contacts DW (had nothing but good results with these in the past on other cars), but want to go 285/35/19. Question is will my BBP wheels take the 285? Don't want to have to go and get new rims just so I can have tires I feel comfortable with.
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I will also be looking at the 285/35/19 size for my BBP wheels for summer, anyone out there tried that size on the Brembo wheels?

Yes, they will, lots of people running that size on those rims ... the pics below show how they fit (a fellow member's car, not mine)

Name:  tires_285-35-19_c_zps4613487a.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  268.3 KB
Old 1/3/13, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent, thanks Gabe.
Old 1/3/13, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm tracking this thread, as I have similar interests - ordered a 2014 GT/Track.

In my limited experience with fitting wider tires to stock wheels, the increases in the car's aesthetics and launching ability were met with a decrease in cornering stability (read: you can feel the rear end rolling around as the tire's sidewalls are flexing over the rim of the wheel).

I typically choose my tires based upon end user consensus, manufacturing specs, and reviews – in this order. I love a stiff sidewall with great wet and dry traction – who doesn’t.. When I replaced the stock 245s on my S2000 with some 255s, I noticed only marginal sidewall bulging, so I thought it would work out fine.

In reality, the car began to push around corners - engaging traction control as the front tires scrubbed and an unsettling feeling of floating around corners, which was unnerving and required moderate amounts of steering correction to keep my car planted.

This may not be the case with you! I have no experience with Mustangs aside from driving a few around town; the bulk of my experience lies with MR/FR Jap’nese sports cars, but the physics should be the same. I exceeded the maximum recommended tire width by one size and these were my results. I’d definitely do more research before I followed suit and mounted those 285s on the stock Brembo wheels. I wouldn’t be surprised if you were directed to use SVT/Boss wheels – the course I will take when it’s time.

As always, your mileage may vary and it comes down to how you will be using the car. I love hammering corners, so having a stiff sidewall with no flex is key for me.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 1/3/13 at 09:44 AM.
Old 1/3/13, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I will also be looking at the 285/35/19 size for my BBP wheels for summer, anyone out there tried that size on the Brembo wheels?
If i could roll with 275's on 8" wide rears, you'll have no issue with a 285 on a 9" rear
Old 1/3/13, 08:49 PM

I can't wait for my rears to wear out now!
Old 1/3/13, 09:52 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
Now obviously I'm losing some diameter and that will mean more rotations per mile. But the significantly larger footprint should aid in launch. Another option is the 285 35 19 which which is about half way between each of the others.
Contact patch is more a function of weight X air pressure rather than the physical size of the tire.

And grip is determined by how the contact patch is applied, typically going with a shorter/wider tire enhances lateral road holding capability where a taller/wider tire enhaces the longitudal grip.

The above is essentially what your looking at in terms of bias when altering the height of the tire. Those two boxes represent the same amount of surface area but demonstrate how it effects the bias.

Not a big deal in a static environment but as the tire is tasked with work and the contact patch changes it can effect overall grip depending on how the load is applied.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bob; 1/3/13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 1/11/13, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Went with the 285 35 19. Looks meaty and serious. As a note I received fantastic customer service from American Muscle.
Old 1/11/13, 07:58 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
[IMG][/IMG]

Went with the 285 35 19. Looks meaty and serious. As a note I received fantastic customer service from American Muscle.
---
Looks good!