2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Glass roof, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/14, 08:54 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
My car is white as you can see. The glass roof has a fairly dark tint on it from factory. I was gonna add more tint to it but the shop did not recommend it and wouldn't do it without a waiver saying it would possibly hold heat or something and break the glass. I'm glad I didn't its dark enough. I have limo tint on the rear glass and with the black metal strips it comes of as one large piece of black glass from a distance which is what I was after. The stripes are black so I think they work for the car. I wanted an all white/black car and to me at least it pulls it off. I switched from a DIB to white mostly for this reason. I would have gotten black but I already have a black Mustang and didn't want to duplicate any colors.
Old 2/24/14, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i think it looks great with sterling gray and the darkish brembo wheels which makes it harder
Old 2/25/14, 04:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Definitely metal. Black gloss clear coat painted metal. Knuckle test confirms.
Whoops! I thought I remembered them being plastic. Sorry y'all!
Old 2/25/14, 04:19 AM
Cobra Member

Yea it's def. metal.
Old 2/25/14, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

My wife plans on getting a new 2016 GT once her '11 is paid off and she's insisting on getting another one with the glass roof. Ironically the OP decided not to get one, but there sure are a lot of thumbs up in this thread.

On a side note, the money spent on the 'Shaker Pro' should really have gone toward a glass roof, the quality of the speakers from the factory is about as cheap as it gets... Much better off adding your own powered sub later.
Old 2/25/14, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the glass roof. I wanted one but they didn't have one in with it so I did with out and now I wish I had it and I've only had mike for ten months.
Old 2/25/14, 10:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
thanks for being a pal!

plastic would definitely kill it, metal has me considering it...i cant decide still but need to soon since its been nearly a week since i ordered.
Still waffling?

Look, if your waffling now, then I can tell you will regret it if you don't have it. If this is a long term car, then get all the options you want in it now. Or you'll be retrofitting everything like I have been which is a pain. And you can't retrofit the glass roof.

Take the jump and you'll be happier.

Last edited by jim010; 2/25/14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2/25/14, 10:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
My wife plans on getting a new 2016 GT once her '11 is paid off and she's insisting on getting another one with the glass roof. Ironically the OP decided not to get one, but there sure are a lot of thumbs up in this thread. On a side note, the money spent on the 'Shaker Pro' should really have gone toward a glass roof, the quality of the speakers from the factory is about as cheap as it gets... Much better off adding your own powered sub later.
From the threads in the '15 section and a article I read I don't think they are offering a glassroof on the S550 platform. IIRC It's because the way the roof is shaped it can't accommodate a glassroof.
Old 2/25/14, 11:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If they were to offer it, I imagine that they would just fit a smooth glass roof on and not worry that the steel roof has a angled dip in it.
Old 2/25/14, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
From the threads in the '15 section and a article I read I don't think they are offering a glassroof on the S550 platform. IIRC It's because the way the roof is shaped it can't accommodate a glassroof.
They said, specifically, no "fixed glass roof." I take that as marketing speak for "in a year or two we'll offer a sliding panoramic roof."
Old 2/25/14, 11:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sliding roof would be really cool. Saleen did that for the S197, didn't they?
Old 2/25/14, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
Still waffling?

Look, if your waffling now, then I can tell you will regret it if you don't have it. If this is a long term car, then get all the options you want in it now. Or you'll be retrofitting everything like I have been which is a pain. And you can't retrofit the glass roof.

Take the jump and you'll be happier.
Thanks, I think of it the other way...if I'm still waffling, I don't absolutely love it and the price is insane.

I opted not to get it and I think I'll be happier without (and the wallet definitely will). My old '98 was just fine as a regular hard top, and I know exactly what the glass roof is like a la my wife's Beetle and to me it just isn't worth that kind of money. I think really though I just don't think it looks as clean as a hardtop, since it's split into three pieces (glass roof plus the fore and aft trim pieces) and I don't want to have to worry about possible issues down the road with the glass roof.

Thanks for all the input! Even though most said get it and I decided not to, I needed to waffle and explore for a few days before making a final decision so it's appreciated.

EDIT: The saleen sliding roof mentioned above that slides all the way back over the rear windshield would be INSANE and I would pay $2k for that all day errrryday.
Old 2/25/14, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My car is white as you can see. The glass roof has a fairly dark tint on it from factory. I was gonna add more tint to it but the shop did not recommend it and wouldn't do it without a waiver saying it would possibly hold heat or something and break the glass. I'm glad I didn't its dark enough.

Interesting... I've always wished the glass had less tint. I tried to drive the whole way to work with the shade closed this morning (to experience the car without the glass roof), but unfortunately that drive ended up being 2 hours long today (I-35 sucks) and I only made it 30 minutes before flinging back the shade.

The glass roof just brightens the entire interior (and makes my red seats pop a bit more). I will keep bugging Saleen till they offer their Frost Touch glass as an independent option (no replies thus far, so it may take a while :^)... Want the Frost Touch!
Old 2/25/14, 06:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Fair enough, I did notice the new platform had a new roof style. Oh well, that will reduce the option list to Nav, Comfort, and backup cam.
Old 2/25/14, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Glass Roof, Yay
Old 2/28/14, 11:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
My car is white as you can see. The glass roof has a fairly dark tint on it from factory. I was gonna add more tint to it but the shop did not recommend it and wouldn't do it without a waiver saying it would possibly hold heat or something and break the glass. I'm glad I didn't its dark enough. I have limo tint on the rear glass and with the black metal strips it comes of as one large piece of black glass from a distance which is what I was after. The stripes are black so I think they work for the car. I wanted an all white/black car and to me at least it pulls it off. I switched from a DIB to white mostly for this reason. I would have gotten black but I already have a black Mustang and didn't want to duplicate any colors.
Besides which, if you'd have gotten a black one with the glass roof, you'd have lost your best friend in SA. I'd have hated your ***.
Old 2/28/14, 03:13 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Besides which, if you'd have gotten a black one with the glass roof, you'd have lost your best friend in SA. I'd have hated your ***.
But mine would still be slower
Old 2/28/14, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
But mine would still be slower
For now. I'm sure you'll be adding plenty of go-fast parts when you get some time, or when your kids stop spending your money at universities, or...hm...
Old 3/25/14, 05:10 PM
V6 Member

I dont have one, but ive seen a few with them, and wish i did now...
Old 3/26/14, 06:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
After looking @ posts on several sites, the ( 2 ) biggest regrets are:
1. Not ordering the glass roof.
2. Ordering the Shaker Pro Audio.

Quick Reply: Glass roof, yay or nay?