Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Glass roof, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/14, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass roof, yay or nay?

Was looking to order my car today but my sales guy didn't call me back, must've been his off day so hoping to do the deal tomorrow.

I was all set on options and color (sterling gray with black 401A), and was set not to get the glass roof, but am thinking about adding it now in the final hours. Can't decide though, so I made a list of pros and cons. This is for a daily driver, not a summer toy so keep that in mind:

Pros:

-Looks good from inside and out
-Natural light is always welcome...I have a T-Top Camaro and my current car has a sunroof, even if the glass isn't open the natural light is always appreciated and I always get a sunroof if offered

Cons:

-Price! Even invoice is probably like $1600 on this and this might stretch the budget
-Mesh shade won't keep out all light or heat which will suck in the summer when out in a parking lot, not worried about winter...I know the glass probably claims to block 90% of heat or whatever but still
-Leather is more likely to fade over time from light exposure
-Worry about delaminating or future leaks...I want to keep the car for probably 6-8 years

Neutral:

-Adds 28 lbs, and adds it to the very top of the car; the weight is a neutral point since I only weigh 135 lbs anyway so even with the added weight I still come in lighter than many/most.
-Car is more rigid...neutral since I won't track the car, and probably cancels out with the raised center of gravity and tiny decrease in handling anyway
-No steel roof means less to wax which is a pro, but the tradeoff is contorting myself to clean the inside of the glass which I always hate on sunroof cars so this is a wash.

So really the cons list is longer, and the biggest con is the price. Not sure why this is sooo expensive when most cars/SUVs can have a larger panoramic sunroof that opens for half the cost. Right now I'm 75% no, 25% yes. As to loving it, I know I would but all the other cons that go with it could kind of soil the experience.

Thoughts?
Old 2/18/14, 10:25 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I have a glass roof garage queen I guess.

Had it for about 13 months now. I can't answer on the pros and cons really but I do know that after having it I'd sure regret not having it.
Old 2/19/14, 12:10 AM
Cobra Member

GET IT! I love my glass rood and if I was to order another one this is one option I wouldn't do without. It's like having the best of both worlds and with the shade close I barely remember it's there sometimes. I haven't seen or heard of anyone who got this option and was dissatisfied with it and I have not heard of the OEM glass leaking. For me it's not a pain to keep clean, if any thing it kinda helps as that's a huge portion I don't have to polish and wax as I am ocd about my cars being clean. Keep your leather conditioned and you won't have a problem with fading. Hope this helps! The only option I regret not getting is the Recaros but I don't think I knew it was an option at the time.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 2/19/14 at 01:28 AM.
Old 2/19/14, 12:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Get it. Totally not worth it....until you drive one with it. Then there's no going back. It's literally better than sliced bread. I won't buy another car without glass over my head.
Old 2/19/14, 12:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I have a glass roof garage queen I guess.

Had it for about 13 months now. I can't answer on the pros and cons really but I do know that after having it I'd sure regret not having it.
This. Had mine for about the same time and my one regret is the lack of a glass roof.
Old 2/19/14, 01:56 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,117 Likes on 803 Posts
Get it.

I have one and love it. Sure would miss it if I did not.

Check my car out, it sounds like the one you are about to order. Plus the Roush mods.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/19/14 at 01:57 AM.
Old 2/19/14, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

You know the one thing I regret not getting is the glass roof.

And recaros.

But I'd rather have gotten the glass roof.

At the time I didn't think it was important and would be a waste of money, but now I wish I had just done it.
Old 2/19/14, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Best option I purchased. Even more valuable than my leather recaros and track pack. Ive never used the sunshade even once and havent ever been bothered by excessive heat or brightness. The tint is perfect. Looks fantastic from the outside and sophisticates the inside aswell. Everyone has positive comments towards it when they see it. I went on a ton of dates last year before settling down with one and every girl (besides getting a little moist that I drove a brand new 5.0) absolutely loved the glass roof.

Pretty sure I paid $1900 for the option so $1600 is a steal.

Listen, if ur questioning it now, ur REALLY gonna regret not getting it later.
Old 2/19/14, 06:57 AM
GT Member

Do it! I wish I would have got that for mine. And if your financing your car you won't even notice the few dollars it adds to your payment. You'll be sorry if you don't.
Old 2/19/14, 09:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO
Best option I purchased. Even more valuable than my leather recaros and track pack. Ive never used the sunshade even once and havent ever been bothered by excessive heat or brightness. The tint is perfect. Looks fantastic from the outside and sophisticates the inside aswell. Everyone has positive comments towards it when they see it. I went on a ton of dates last year before settling down with one and every girl (besides getting a little moist that I drove a brand new 5.0) absolutely loved the glass roof. Pretty sure I paid $1900 for the option so $1600 is a steal. Listen, if ur questioning it now, ur REALLY gonna regret not getting it later.
Old 2/19/14, 09:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like my Glass Roof .. I'd get it again.
Old 2/19/14, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have the glass roof. It seems like a cool concept, but how safe is it? I would be worried about a roll over accident with all that glass.
Old 2/19/14, 10:05 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Mustang Mama
I don't have the glass roof. It seems like a cool concept, but how safe is it? I would be worried about a roll over accident with all that glass.
Well considering the windshield is glass and all the other windows what's a little more?

I just hope that 20-30 years from now if something happens to it they will still be a source for them.
Old 2/19/14, 10:15 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't think safety is an issue. You've still got a steel frame around it, and it's not exactly like glass you'd use for a table, it's pretty thick stuff.

To the OP, absolutely get it. It's an awesome option, a bit unusual, and great for all around. Even driving at night would be awesome, get out on a country road, and you could see all the stars. I wish I could get one for my Mustang!
Old 2/19/14, 10:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I don't think safety is an issue. You've still got a steel frame around it, and it's not exactly like glass you'd use for a table, it's pretty thick stuff. To the OP, absolutely get it. It's an awesome option, a bit unusual, and great for all around. Even driving at night would be awesome, get out on a country road, and you could see all the stars. I wish I could get one for my Mustang!
That last part is exactly why I was going to get it when I was in the market. I'm hoping to do a custom glass roof on my 03 eventually.
Old 2/19/14, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I don't think safety is an issue. You've still got a steel frame around it, and it's not exactly like glass you'd use for a table, it's pretty thick stuff.

To the OP, absolutely get it. It's an awesome option, a bit unusual, and great for all around. Even driving at night would be awesome, get out on a country road, and you could see all the stars. I wish I could get one for my Mustang!

Yeah, but I would still be concerned. I feel safer with a regular roof.

Well considering the windshield is glass and all the other windows what's a little more?

I just hope that 20-30 years from now if something happens to it they will still be a source for them.

Sometimes that little more may not be a good thing. lol.
Old 2/19/14, 11:02 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Mustang Mama
Sometimes that little more may not be a good thing. lol.
I thought more was better

Especially for a w.....

Nevermind
Old 2/19/14, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought more was better

Especially for a w.....

Nevermind

Lol.

Old 2/19/14, 11:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

when ever i drive my wife's car. the only think i always like about it is having sunroof.
Old 2/19/14, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It's laminated glass, just like the windshield. It isn't going to shatter if it's cracked. There's nothing to worry about, and in reality it's thicker than the thin piece of sheet metal that makes up the regular roof.

Quick Reply: Glass roof, yay or nay?