Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Glass roof, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/14, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
It's laminated glass, just like the windshield. It isn't going to shatter if it's cracked. There's nothing to worry about, and in reality it's thicker than the thin piece of sheet metal that makes up the regular roof.

Okay. I reckon if it was unsafe, it would not be an option. lol.
Old 2/19/14, 12:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Mama
Okay. I reckon if it was unsafe, it would not be an option. lol.
Exactly
Old 2/19/14, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP, you can check out YouTube which has videos showing what it's like. This helped me decide when I ordered mine. I would suggest you go check one out but from what I understand it's very rare to find mustang with a glassroof on the dealer lot. Mostly only a special order option as dealers aren't ordering with the stock vehicles. This may help resale value in the future!
Old 2/19/14, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One of my favorite features on my '14 is the glass roof. When I took delivery, the sales guys were all checking it out (they'd never sold one with the glass roof- and they sell a lot of Mustangs).

When I was shopping, a number of dealers tried to talk me out of the glass roof- claiming Texas sun made them impractical. That's complete baloney. Took delivery on 21 May last year, went through a roasting Texas summer, and the car was no hotter than any other car. I've closed the shade maybe twice (and once was just to demonstrate it).

On one of the Mustang sites, there was a picture of a 2' diameter tree limb that had crushed a Mustang- well actually it crushed the hood- but the window was still pretty much intact (broken- but not caved in). From what I understand, the glass roof option actually adds rigidity over the metal roof (but it is 24 pounds heavier).

Love it, love it, love it (now I wish Saleen made their "Frost Touch" window an option to purchase... you hit a button and it goes from clear to frosted).
Old 2/19/14, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You will regret not getting it. In fact I think that option is one of the major reasons my wife let me buy my car. I will tell you it will be a special order only. My Dealer tried to do a nationwide locate on a Sterling Gray Glass Roof... There was not a single one in the country. And if you go Sterling Gray that option will also be the most overlooked of any other option. I have taken it to several shows and I bet only 1 in 10 people notice it.
Old 2/19/14, 06:05 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,115 Likes on 802 Posts
I was waffling on the top too, but after seeing one at the dealer it was "I got to have this" just, way too cool. Get a lot of ooo's and aaah's when they see it. Nice having the top open, but no wind.

To me it is something nice to have but also makes the car unique. Not a lot of them out there. Kinda like the difference between the 400a and the 401a chassis. Saw a different stang that had the 401a update and decided that was a must have. Love the pony lights, metal accented dash, illuminated thresholds, aluminum shift ****, and the little differences the 401a car has. You are going 401a, glass top is the piece that completes it.

Do kinda wish I had the Recaros at times, but not available on the 401a. May have to add on my own some day. But, I kinda like having the power heated seats, not wanting to step back to a manual seat. Wife and I are not same height. Wish they offered driver memory settings. Don't like my knees into the dash...

Last edited by shaneyusa; 2/19/14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 2/19/14, 06:11 PM

Hey, Glassback, like the car. Looks very familiar...
Old 2/19/14, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What can I say?!... Great minds think alike!
Old 2/19/14, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Absolutely get it if you can swing it. Best option I ordered besides the leather Recaro's and track pack. Would have ordered a Boss but couldn't get the glass roof.
Best way to decide for yourself is drive a hardtop then drive the glass top. A completely different experience. After doing this my mind was made up.
Old 2/19/14, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

So guy's, I'm excited as hell! I just came home from the dealer and put my order in after three years of drooling. Thanks for all your input.

So I decided to skip the glass roof. It IS nice, and they had a CS on the lot with one, but at the end of the day it just isn't that big of a deal to me when I have a Camaro with T-tops to play with and my wife's '12 Beetle (the cool new redesigned one) has a panoramic roof which is basically the entire roof…so I do know what I'm missing, and it IS nice, but at the end of the day I wanted to stick to my budget and I just couldn't justify a whopping $2k (or really whatever the invoice price is since I got my car for invoice) for it. At $600-$800, I might have done it, but I feel like the price is insane considering like I mentioned that you can get a panoramic moonroof in most SUVs that opens for half the price…not sure why the glass roof is so **** expensive.

So anyway, here's what I got!

-2014 GT Premium Coupe
-Sterling Gray Metallic
-401A (Black/Cashmere)
-Automatic
-Brembo Package
-Comfort Package
-Shaker Pro Audio

I cannot WAIT to get it! I know a lot of people here would probably swap the Shaker Pro for the glass roof, but I like my tunes and hate having to go aftermarket for a stereo; I know the Shaker Pro gets mixed reviews, but I think I'll be happy with it for a factory system.
Old 2/19/14, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you did the right thing for you...plus, what will be available in a few years when you have to change your cracked roof
Old 2/19/14, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats on the order- and welcome to the Sterling Gray club (it IS the fastest color, you know- Ford throws a few extra horsepower in the Sterling cars, they just don't advertise it to keep the other colors from feeling cheated ;^).
Old 2/19/14, 07:48 PM

^^ +1. Congrats! Hey, we each have our own choices and desires. Otherwise they would all be built the same. You will really enjoy the car. SGM really is the fastest color, made to fly incognito...

Now for the wait, that has to be the hardest part.

Post a lot of pictures when it gets here!
Old 2/19/14, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

will do!!!
Old 2/19/14, 08:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Oh my goodness. The Shaker Pro is so not worth it compared to the Glass Roof. Have you listened to the Shaker Pro? I know you have the other cars with the roof options, but if that were the case, skip the GR *and* Shaker Pro and build an amazing (yes aftermarket) system for $3500!!
Old 2/20/14, 12:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
Congrats on the order- and welcome to the Sterling Gray club (it IS the fastest color, you know- Ford throws a few extra horsepower in the Sterling cars, they just don't advertise it to keep the other colors from feeling cheated ;^).
That's because it's slower than all the other colors. Especially black .
Old 2/20/14, 03:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had the glass roof for close to 3 years now and I'm very happy with it. The only negative thing I can say is that it wouldn't look good with LeMans stripes, and the sliding shade could be of better quality. Even that is not a big deal because I leave mine open all the time. As for heat, cold, weight, and other things I have no issues with the glass roof.
Old 2/20/14, 05:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Oh my goodness. The Shaker Pro is so not worth it compared to the Glass Roof. Have you listened to the Shaker Pro? I know you have the other cars with the roof options, but if that were the case, skip the GR *and* Shaker Pro and build an amazing (yes aftermarket) system for $3500!!
Agree with this 1000% It's not that bad but I was a little disappointed with the sound considering the price for the option.
Old 2/20/14, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I checked just about every single box that could be checked when ordering my '14 GT... I had the Shaker 1000 box checked, then looked up the differences between the 500 and 1000 systems and discovered the only real difference is a subwoofer.

So, I unchecked that box, upgraded the front door speakers and figured I would add a sub on my own... Haven't felt the need- the Shaker 500 packs enough bass for me (especially when playing Pandora- the quality of the sound file seems to be higher on Pandora than it is on iPod or SiriusXM).

So, I would have opted for the glass roof over the Shaker 1000 as well- but hey, that's why they're called "options-" everyone can order the stuff that means the most to them.
Old 2/20/14, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
So, I unchecked that box, upgraded the front door speakers and figured I would add a sub on my own... Haven't felt the need- the Shaker 500 packs enough bass for me (especially when playing Pandora- the quality of the sound file seems to be higher on Pandora than it is on iPod or SiriusXM).
Sirius quality is so bad... wonder y people pay money n stick to it.

Quick Reply: Glass roof, yay or nay?