Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Gibson offroad x pipe, torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/13, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibson offroad x pipe, torque converter

Hey everyone,

I've picked up my 2013 and it's been stock almost 2 weeks now, so it's time to start modding I think. Pretty sure my only mods on this thing for starters are going to be an offroad x pipe, circle d torque converter, tune and wheels/tires.

First off, coming from the 96-04 stangs I see the offroad pipes are almost all double in price... any ideas why? I did find the gibson offroad xpipe that seems to be close to what I'd expect a pipe to be - at 170 bucks shipped. Anyone have any experience with it? I would like to pull the trigger soon on one, however only see 2 reviews on amazon. Any other x pipes you've had good luck with - that aren't the $500+ like the magnaflow? I see a bunch in the 300 dollar range, any ones you've particularly had good or bad luck with? Should I just bite the bullet and get the gibson?

Last but not least, on the torque converter, I hear Circle D is the way to fly. The car will sit n/a with minor boltons until I get bored with it in a few years, and then it'll likely get a blower. I'm going back and forth between 3c and 4c; which one did you get and what are your thoughts on daily driving a car with a 4c? I know lots dd their cars with a 3c in it; I plan on keeping the 3.15 gears for a while. Is the 4c better off with these gears, and still well mannered on the street?
Old 11/29/13, 09:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cheaper off road pipes are mild steel not stainless, that is the biggest difference.

As to the converter, call Chris at Circle D, he's the owner and he will set you up with the best recommendation for the proper converter.

The other thing you are going to need on this car will be upper and lower control arms.
Old 12/1/13, 09:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fosters

Last but not least, on the torque converter, I hear Circle D is the way to fly. The car will sit n/a with minor boltons until I get bored with it in a few years, and then it'll likely get a blower. I'm going back and forth between 3c and 4c; which one did you get and what are your thoughts on daily driving a car with a 4c? I know lots dd their cars with a 3c in it; I plan on keeping the 3.15 gears for a while. Is the 4c better off with these gears, and still well mannered on the street?
I like really big converters, and Circle D's 5C wasn't even big enough (4000-4200 rpm's) for my liking, so Chris at Circle D suggested their 4E converter for me built for 4500 rpm's. Actually flashes to about 5000 rpm's in my car and I absolutely love it! Very well mannered on the street; doesn't rev too high in normal driving at all. Makes the car accelerate much brisker at part throttle and doesn't need to downshift as much to get accelerate from a roll. At the dragstrip, it's a beast! Improved my launch and short times by 3 tenths and 1/4 mile ET's improved 6 tenths! Awesome bang-for-the-buck.