Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

gear install prices

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/13, 10:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
gear install prices

Thinking about doing gears for my next mod and looking to get a rough idea of what people have been paying to get there gears installed. I know its going to be different but i can atleast get an idea.

also should i get everything that american muscle seems to think i should get?

-install kit
-LOK rebuild
-pinion bearing?
Old 4/11/13, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer
Thinking about doing gears for my next mod and looking to get a rough idea of what people have been paying to get there gears installed. I know its going to be different but i can atleast get an idea.

also should i get everything that american muscle seems to think i should get?

-install kit
-LOK rebuild
-pinion bearing?
The install on gears is usually always different per shop. It shouldn't cost you more then a few hundred bucks though. I've installed a ton of sets myself, with a experienced mechanic it's not that difficult of a job! I would recommend calling around and getting a few quotes.

Those are the parts I always recommend when installing gears, the Pinion bearing is a must on the 11+ Mustangs. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the future!

-Dan
Old 4/11/13, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Install prices should be between $400-600, depending on whether your buying gears from the shop doing the install or not.

You might come out better buying the parts you need separately, but ask the shop your planning to use for a quote with and without the parts and supplies.

Those installations kits are not needed unless you have a high-mileage Mustang. On occasion you might need a shim, but if you go to a shop that does gear installations in Mustangs, they will likely have tons of shims already lying around if there's a need.

The only gears you should use for street use are Ford Racing gears, as these are made and machined with the same tooling, right along side the OEM Ford gears installed in your Mustang now. The installation can usually be done by reusing all the stock shims in their stock locations, typically yielding ideal gear mesh with no extra work.

The only parts you'll need are the Ring/Pinion Gear, Crush Sleeve, Inner Pinion Bearing, and 3qts of 75w190 Royal Purple Max Gear oil. You will not need to replace the Inner Pinion Bearing Race, nor the Outer Pinion Bearing and Race, Axle Bearings, Axle Shaft Seals, or Pinion Seal, as long as a qualified and experienced person is doing the work.

The differential cover does not use a gasket. From Ford, the OEM installation is completed with RTV Sealant.

Royal Purple Max Gear oil comes Friction Modifier pre-added to the oil, so do not let anyone add additional Friction Modifier to the oil being pumped back in.

Good luck.
Old 4/12/13, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by kn7671
Install prices should be between $400-600, depending on whether your buying gears from the shop doing the install or not.

You might come out better buying the parts you need separately, but ask the shop your planning to use for a quote with and without the parts and supplies.

Those installations kits are not needed unless you have a high-mileage Mustang. On occasion you might need a shim, but if you go to a shop that does gear installations in Mustangs, they will likely have tons of shims already lying around if there's a need.

The only gears you should use for street use are Ford Racing gears, as these are made and machined with the same tooling, right along side the OEM Ford gears installed in your Mustang now. The installation can usually be done by reusing all the stock shims in their stock locations, typically yielding ideal gear mesh with no extra work.

The only parts you'll need are the Ring/Pinion Gear, Crush Sleeve, Inner Pinion Bearing, and 3qts of 75w190 Royal Purple Max Gear oil. You will not need to replace the Inner Pinion Bearing Race, nor the Outer Pinion Bearing and Race, Axle Bearings, Axle Shaft Seals, or Pinion Seal, as long as a qualified and experienced person is doing the work.

The differential cover does not use a gasket. From Ford, the OEM installation is completed with RTV Sealant.

Royal Purple Max Gear oil comes Friction Modifier pre-added to the oil, so do not let anyone add additional Friction Modifier to the oil being pumped back in.

Good luck.
Good to know as two shops in my area, the west suburbs of chicago, including the dealers want 660.00 for labor only and me supplying the ring and pinion.
Old 4/14/13, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is a good topic. When I bought my car the dealer wanted like $850 to swap out the gears and set the speedometer (including parts). I was shocked, as the gears are <$200 and swapping them out seems pretty straight forward.
Old 4/14/13, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by skramblr
This is a good topic. When I bought my car the dealer wanted like $850 to swap out the gears and set the speedometer (including parts). I was shocked, as the gears are <$200 and swapping them out seems pretty straight forward.
That's on the high side, but installing gears correctly is a science.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 4/14/13 at 03:32 PM.
Old 4/14/13, 07:13 PM
GT Member

I'm having my gears changed out Friday, Shop said $485 labor.
Old 4/18/13, 04:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
That's on the high side, but installing gears correctly is a science.
On the high side? I'd say that's closer to a ripoff. There's a mustang performance shop down the street from my house that will do it for $225 if I supply my own gears, and $400 if I don't.
Old 4/18/13, 07:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
On the high side? I'd say that's closer to a ripoff. There's a mustang performance shop down the street from my house that will do it for $225 if I supply my own gears, and $400 if I don't.
reasonable price for an upgrade. Tried calling this performance shop that is highly rated but no one picked up, will try again today to get an idea of price.
Old 4/23/13, 09:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Found a place that is a bit of a drive but they mostly do work on mustangs (Lidio). 360$ if i supply the stuff. or 565$ if i get it all through them, also said another 90$ probably for the bearings and stuff.
Old 4/23/13, 10:07 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The Ford dealership I work at charges $440 for labor for a gear swap. There are independent shops around us that charge as little as $250 for labor, but you get what you pay for. Our shop has fixed other shops' botched jobs more than a few times and our guys do the job right the first time. I've had shop do gear swaps on my own personal cars 4 times now, including the 4.56's in my '11 5.0L. Always done quickly (same day) and perfect.
Old 4/23/13, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to wherever everyone else goes for gears. I went to my local ford dealer. Got raped and the gears were whining after one night at the track.
Old 4/23/13, 10:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
Go to wherever everyone else goes for gears. I went to my local ford dealer. Got raped and the gears were whining after one night at the track.
YOUR local Ford dealer did a bad job. Many Ford dealers do a great job at a reasonable price.
Old 4/24/13, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

YOUR local Ford dealer did a bad job. Many Ford dealers do a great job at a reasonable price.
The point was go wherever the most gear swaps are done. Idgaf that it was a ford dealer, they did a **** poor job and ill keep everyone I know from going there
Old 6/22/13, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hope my dealer will do a good job at installing my gears and other parts