Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Gauges arrived- time to drill the dashboard!

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/14, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gauges arrived- time to drill the dashboard!

I ordered some Speedhut gauges a few weeks ago- along with the bezel for the Ford Racing Laguna Seca gauge pod. The gauges arrived today!

Now I just need to figure out how to mount them in the pod. The Speedhut gauges are cool because they can be customized (I had them add the Ford Racing logo- I have a feeling that's a trademark violation, but...). Unfortunately, they are intended to be mounted as a "screw in" (while the gauge pod is intended for gauges with mounting studs on the back). I think I'm going to try putting some weatherstripping foam in the pod and screw the gauges into the foam- we'll see. If anyone has installed Speedhuts into a Ford Racing pod- I'd love some advice!

I'm really impressed with the Speedhut gauges. The wiring looks like it will be super easy to install (there are clip connectors that daisy chain everything). For the oil pressure and temp senders, I ordered an oil filter adapter that provides four mounting points for senders. I could have ordered the brushed aluminum gauge rings (same price- just an option), but I thought I'd keep it lower key with the black. But, the rings are shiny- which may stand out a bit more than I like.

Also, I ordered some gauge angle rings (thinking I might be able to tilt the gauges towards me a bit). However, it would require quite a bit of customization to make them fit- so I'll go without them. Plus, the gauges seem like they will be easy to see in their factory position.

Now I just have to screw up the courage to drill through my dashboard!

Old 9/25/14, 11:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks really cool! Please do take some photos when install is complete... also some showing off the red dash trim if you can!
Old 9/26/14, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I didnt want to put a hole in my dash so I just heat shrunk mine together and tuck them between the dash and windshield.
Attached Thumbnails Gauges arrived- time to drill the dashboard!-20140926_151030.jpg  

Last edited by Blown CS; 9/26/14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 9/26/14, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There has to be some kind of double sided industrial strength adhesive that you can apply to prevent any drilling. permanent or not, that's a scary feeling...
Old 9/26/14, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
There has to be some kind of double sided industrial strength adhesive that you can apply to prevent any drilling. permanent or not, that's a scary feeling...
I used 3M double sided tape, the same thing that you use for emblems.
Old 9/26/14, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good ideas- thanks! I think the shrink wrap could work- although the adhesive on the dash is probably going to cause damage if the pod is ever removed. If the worst should happen, I take comfort in having a "fallback option." Basically, if I ever have to cover the holes, I would order a Diode Dynamics dash plate... http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/a...ash-plate.html

Any ideas for how to mount the gauges in to the pod (since the gauges have rings that they screw in- but the pod is designed for gauges that have posts on the back)?
Old 9/26/14, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is the issue I had with mine and I cut the mounting surface away to enable the cobalt gauges to sit flush. Since they were snug in the pod, I just added a little jb weld to keep them from moving. As far as the interceptor, I just extended the posts.
Attached Thumbnails Gauges arrived- time to drill the dashboard!-20140514_180548.jpg