Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 vs GT?

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/10, 09:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 vs GT?

I currently own a 10' Infiniti G37 sedan w/auto and am possibly looking at trading it in. When I bought my car, I was aware of the 11' Mustang 5.0 coming back, but didn't realize that I'd get this caught up in all the hype for the car.

My question is would or have any of you traded a car after only a couple 1000 miles? I know I will take a pretty big hit, but right now I cannot get the 5.0 out of my head. I am on this forum all the time, and on youtube looking at vids of it. So what are your thoughts?
Old 5/1/10, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

IMHO, no car is worth that hit. Wait a few years and buy a used 5.0 at a huge discount for a "fun car" and use the G37 as a awesome Daily Driver. I have a 07 GT that I love but am looking for a 2nd car as a daily driver/utilitarian car that I can actually put bikes on, snowboards, etc.
Old 5/1/10, 10:03 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You're going to lose a lot of money. Only you can make the decision. I always do lots of research before i buy a new car. I came to this forum researching the 2014 Mustang. Then i started reading about the new engines and transmissions for 2011, my 2011 V-6 should come in any day.
Old 5/1/10, 10:15 AM
GT Member

See what you can sell it for, and if you can get an acceptable price, do it. If not, then keep it. We almost bought a G37 too, but just before doing so, I realized that it was the hype and not the car's performance that was selling us on it, so we lost interest in it. One other thing: This is how you buy a car: "I've got to say that I believe I scored the deal of the century having purchased a 2009 KR, black/black for half of the MSRP brand new last November from a dealer in Milwaukee. I'm glad I pulled the trigger! It's a great car." This from a credible source on another site. And guess what? From what I understand, this guy could have afforded to pay sticker or even a premium for a 2009 Shelby KR but chose to find the best deal possible.

Last edited by PaulVincent; 5/1/10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 5/1/10, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1badmax
I currently own a 10' Infiniti G37 sedan w/auto and am possibly looking at trading it in. When I bought my car, I was aware of the 11' Mustang 5.0 coming back, but didn't realize that I'd get this caught up in all the hype for the car.

My question is would or have any of you traded a car after only a couple 1000 miles? I know I will take a pretty big hit, but right now I cannot get the 5.0 out of my head. I am on this forum all the time, and on youtube looking at vids of it. So what are your thoughts?
Definitely don't trade it for a Mustang...a G37 sedan is a very nice car...if you're serious about wanting to replace it with a Mustang GT, then sell it. You have plenty of time to find a reasonable buyer, especially with the warmer months coming. You're still take a hit, but not a bad as trading it in.

Another option is to have someone take over your payments. Depending on your initial down payment, this could be a viable option.

Last option...PATIENTS. Maybe this is just a phase you're going through and it will go away with time. Like I said, the G37 sedan is a VERY NICE car...maybe if you added some personal touches to the car (rims & tires, etc) you would have a better connection to it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 5/1/10, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Another good point someone brought up, ALWAYS something better coming. 2011 is awesome and seems like the "end-all-be-all" of Mustangs, but I remember when I thought the 05 GT was as good as it get. 2012 = Boss?, then before you know the 2014 refresh will be announced which has rumors of IRS, 100-200 lb diet and possibly DI for the 5.0.
Old 5/1/10, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PaulVincent
See what you can sell it for, and if you can get an acceptable price, do it. If not, then keep it. We almost bought a G37 too, but just before doing so, I realized that it was the hype and not the car's performance that was selling us on it, so we lost interest in it. One other thing: This is how you buy a car: "I've got to say that I believe I scored the deal of the century having purchased a 2009 KR, black/black for half of the MSRP brand new last November from a dealer in Milwaukee. I'm glad I pulled the trigger! It's a great car." This from a credible source on another site. And guess what? From what I understand, this guy could have afforded to pay sticker or even a premium for a 2009 Shelby KR but chose to find the best deal possible.
Wow, are you a finance genius or something? That's best advice I've ever heard... 'if you get an acceptable offer - do it'. All this time I've been looking for the worst possible deal.
Old 5/1/10, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I'd say unless you get a really good deal it'll be more worth it to wait. 2012s and 2013s might have the advantage of more stock tweaks for the Coyote to make it better, and then there's the looming possibility of a 2012 Boss 302. And then remember, if you can wait out until 2014... 50th Anniversary Edition. Nothing else but the Corvette has that title, and of all American sports cars, the Mustang is the only one that can take that distinction and claim the same history as a Corvette. Everything else has been out of production at some point. I mean we can forgive the Corvette for only having 40 prototype models for the 1983 and no mass produced model, but the Mustang will truly be the first to reach the 50th anniversary with a yearly mass produced model.
Old 5/1/10, 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Nope, I wouldn't do it. You're going to pay the price of the Mustang AND the loss on the G37 (20-25%???) just to have the new car. If you're a recent lottery winner, go for it. If you're a working class stiff, probably best to pass. Most cars take the biggest depreciation hit in the first 2 years. And it IS big. The Mustang has done pretty well, however. A 6-year old Mustang GT still sells for $15k or more. Not bad considering how much they were new.
Old 5/1/10, 02:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VAiN
Wow, are you a finance genius or something? That's best advice I've ever heard... 'if you get an acceptable offer - do it'. All this time I've been looking for the worst possible deal.
Well, since you're publicly confessing your stupidity, I'll take you at your word. By the way, have your keeper cinch up the straps in your strait jacket, VAiN!

Last edited by PaulVincent; 5/1/10 at 02:37 PM.
Old 5/1/10, 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by PaulVincent
Well, since you're publicly confessing your stupidity, I'll take you at your word. By the way, have your keeper cinch up the straps in your strait jacket, VAiN!
Maybe he just forgot a smiley. . . (let's hope...)
Old 5/1/10, 03:57 PM
V6 Member

If I do decide to go forth with it, I'll be private selling my G37 to try and get the most money. I actually got a good deal through USAA when I bought the car and right now I only owe $17500 on the car. If I could sell it for $30000 - $32000, I'd strongly think of getting the 11' 5.0; if not then it's a no go.
Old 5/1/10, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1badmax
If I do decide to go forth with it, I'll be private selling my G37 to try and get the most money. I actually got a good deal through USAA when I bought the car and right now I only owe $17500 on the car. If I could sell it for $30000 - $32000, I'd strongly think of getting the 11' 5.0; if not then it's a no go.
People will be very tempted at that price, so I'll guess that you'll be able to sell it. We're in a similar position with a 2008 STI; I've been offered a fair price for it (local dealer wants it even if I don't buy a vehicle from them), but right now we're going to wait for a variety of reasons.