Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Ford and GM have to pull thru.
Old 10/10/08, 07:17 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrnT
Ford and GM have to pull thru.
Not really. There's no guarantees in life, and nothing lasts forever.

But, I expect the Federal government would step in to lend another hand before things got too bad...assuming the Feds have any money left themselves, that is.
Old 10/10/08, 07:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I expect one of the 2.8 to go down in the next 5 years, not sure which one though.
Old 10/10/08, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Honestly, I don't see them filing for bankruptcy. They certainly dont look like theyre doing well right now, but if anything, the Gov will step in similarly to how they did for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. They would nationalize the company and essentially take away any remaining value to the stocks. Again, IF the worst happens, this is what it would be. I seriously hope Ford GM and Chrysler all pull through as this would kill any of the companies.

But each day watching the market just lowers my hopes. I personally have no idea what is going to happen and it scares the hell out of me to imagine what is certainly a reality.
Old 10/10/08, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

As for the talks about GM and Chrysler merging........I thinks its absolutly a terrible idea. Putting two bad companies does not make a good one. ****, this is crazy stuff guys. I hope you all know how serious this all is......Ford guys, Chevy guys, and Mopar guys, were all in for some intense problems in the next few months.
Old 10/10/08, 08:41 PM

i have quite a bit of money in F stock so I certainly hope this isn't the case!
Old 10/10/08, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i talked to a stock broker the other day. yes, i know you cant hold them to anything but i was going to buy some ford stock. if you have seen the stock is down around $2 a share, and just about 2 weeks ago it was over $10. he told me they were going to file, and that the stock holders would be hit hardest, especially the ford family. yes, GM is in the same boat, their stock has dropped also, and as you have stated the economy is not well. it doesnt mean that they will shut the doors, but of course all their liquidations will go out the window, they will still make cars but we might not have the development that we should have from them in the coming years. we might have "lean" cars across the board. and yes when i posted this i did have what i just told you above, so that is all i have to go on. just look at the stock for yourself, you will see im not pulling anyones leg. i was willing to invest into ford so they could keep going. just doing a little part. i guess i should, ive bought 9 cars from them in the last 15 years!
Old 10/10/08, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SINBUSTER007
i talked to a stock broker the other day. yes, i know you cant hold them to anything but i was going to buy some ford stock. if you have seen the stock is down around $2 a share, and just about 2 weeks ago it was over $10. he told me they were going to file, and that the stock holders would be hit hardest, especially the ford family. yes, GM is in the same boat, their stock has dropped also, and as you have stated the economy is not well. it doesnt mean that they will shut the doors, but of course all their liquidations will go out the window, they will still make cars but we might not have the development that we should have from them in the coming years. we might have "lean" cars across the board. and yes when i posted this i did have what i just told you above, so that is all i have to go on. just look at the stock for yourself, you will see im not pulling anyones leg. i was willing to invest into ford so they could keep going. just doing a little part. i guess i should, ive bought 9 cars from them in the last 15 years!

I don't know what brokers your talking to man but Ford stock hasn't been over 10 dollars in about 3 years. And to be honest, now IS the time buy stocks, just not and of the big 3 unfortunatly.
Old 10/10/08, 09:08 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
They just announced on the news GM in official merger talks with Chysler.
Old 10/10/08, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Very true, but try working at a Ford dealership. Its scary right now as no one is coming in the store and no one wants to buy anything. People are worried about the market and they have every right to be.
let me help you out, i will take a 09 gt500 for 5k under invoice!
Old 10/10/08, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sgt d
let me help you out, i will take a 09 gt500 for 5k under invoice!
Cute sgt! You think I'm kidding? TRUST ME, I'M NOT!!!
Old 10/10/08, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

neither am i..lol..

i can only imagine, i did the car sale thing before and even in a good economy it can be sparatic. it was too seasonal for me plus i can bs well but sales is not my thing.
Old 10/10/08, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

But, I expect the Federal government would step in to lend another hand before things got too bad...assuming the Feds have any money left themselves, that is.
Buddy, the Gov is so freakin' poor right now. We owe trillions, let me say that again, TRILLIONS. We don't have 700B to give away, much less more money to more companies. It's sad but true. We are calling in all our debts from other countries trying to stay afloat ourselves. At some point the dollar may reach a value of nothing, much like it did in 1929. It won't be worth the cost of the paper it's printed on. I hope we never see those days again.

Being over here it's difficult to get a full understanding of what the world's going through - this place is already a third world country. It's only going to get better for the people over here. That may not be so for us in the US. God bless America!
Old 10/10/08, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

should have bought into these guy's currency..lol.. it will be worth more then ours
Old 10/10/08, 10:56 PM

Sadly, that might one day be true. The old Dinar is crazy freaking low. A 10,000 paper bill is worth about $8 bucks. Yeah, EIGHT DOLLARS. So hopefully we don't get that bad! Scary.
Old 10/11/08, 12:32 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
I said Ford was in trouble before the summer started but no one believes me and thinks Ford is stronger than the GM. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford go under.
FYI, Ford is stronger than GM. As GM lost 15.5 billion during the second quarter of 2008, compared to Ford's second quarter 8.8 billion dollar loss.

Therefore, not only are the big domestic 3 affected by the global economic meltdown. But so is everybody else, including Toyota, Nissan, VW, Mazda, ect.

That being said, if anybody's going under. Chrysler will be the first to go under, then followed by GM. Which will then leave Ford standing alone as the only domestic automaker to survive !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/11/08 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10/11/08, 02:42 PM
Cobra R Member

GM might have lost more money- but they have more assests than Ford. GM is a much bigger corporation. So because of GM's assests they can weather the storm much better than Ford. Ford is on pretty shaky ground.
Old 10/11/08, 03:09 PM
V6 Member

Ford has more cash reserves than GM does even though Ford is a much smaller company. GM would probably run out of cash first since their operating costs are much higher.
Old 10/11/08, 04:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
GM might have lost more money- but they have more assests than Ford. GM is a much bigger corporation. So because of GM's assests they can weather the storm much better than Ford. Ford is on pretty shaky ground.
Ford still has assets with both Mazda and Volvo, along with Ford of Europe, Australia, S. America, and also Ford of India.

I also agree with Mossberg's post, in which Ford also has more cash reserves than GM.

That being said, Ford can also weather the storm just as well as GM. As everybody's on shaky ground, as a direct result of the global economic meltdown !
Old 10/11/08, 05:37 PM
Cobra R Member

It will be very interesting to how all this is going to play out.

Quick Reply: Future of the Ford family and the 2010?