Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Future of the Ford family and the 2010?

Old 10/10/08, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Future of the Ford family and the 2010?

to all,
not sure if this is a good place to put this thread, but i got from and inside source that FORD will be filing for bankruptcy in the near future....now from what i understand it will hit the stock holders pretty hard, and i think the Ford family ownes over 50% of the stock. this might also mean that money for research will not be there for future cars and engines...to streamline, they might also cut back on certain model lines to offset the losses....
lets hope they dont get too drastic in what they cut out.
Old 10/10/08, 06:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very unlikely. Ford isn't that close to insolvency, at least not yet.
Old 10/10/08, 07:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SINBUSTER007
to all,
not sure if this is a good place to put this thread, but i got from and inside source that FORD will be filing for bankruptcy in the near future....now from what i understand it will hit the stock holders pretty hard, and i think the Ford family ownes over 50% of the stock. this might also mean that money for research will not be there for future cars and engines...to streamline, they might also cut back on certain model lines to offset the losses....
lets hope they dont get too drastic in what they cut out.
TOTALLY UNLIKELY, as jsaylor mentioned above. Do you realize how many people and how many companies depend on Ford? Its not like a small company closing shop. You have tens of thousands of Ford employees, and then the suppliers and their employees. The Big 3 need each other, and the government wouldn't let it happen. If your going to come on here and post something like this, have SOLID proof that its gonna happen, instead of speculation.
Old 10/10/08, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just remember that there is lots of speculation running wild today. Most of them dont know what they are talking about.
Old 10/10/08, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

Speculation is putting everyone on edge! And why shouldn't ANY company worry about their future!
Look what is going on across the street at GM. Heck, their stock just fell to $4.85 yesterday. The Dow is at @8000. that's 5000 points off from a year ago! There is too much anxiety now. Last reports I heard say that GM has enough cash for a year! Why should FORD be any different! The whole economy is in the toilet and I mean GLOBALLY not just here at home. Bad business decisions and greed are going to be the demise of many. It's a vicous circle and we're going to be stuck in it for a while. Consumer confidence is way down so we don't spend. Banks are scared cause they don't have enough cash due to the housing loan debacle! So now Banks aren't lending money to businesses so businesses can't get loans to expand or meet payroll. No buying means companies begin to lay off workers. How much can the government help? Sure they can keep printing money, what good does it do if it isn't worth anything? We are in a heap of trouble. Good luck to whichever candidate gets elected!

Sorry for the rant and slightly off topic nature of post.

Last edited by runningwild4.6; 10/10/08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10/10/08, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Its very scary right now, but the key is to not get sucked into the hype.
Old 10/10/08, 10:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Its very scary right now, but the key is to not get sucked into the hype.
Very true, but try working at a Ford dealership. Its scary right now as no one is coming in the store and no one wants to buy anything. People are worried about the market and they have every right to be.
Old 10/10/08, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

It's hard not to get sucked into the hype.....It's plastered all over the news and web. But you are correct. People must not panic during these times

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Very true, but try working at a Ford dealership. Its scary right now as no one is coming in the store and no one wants to buy anything. People are worried about the market and they have every right to be.
Old 10/10/08, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

The ones hurting the most right now are the retired folks. Those retirement accounts are really shrinking and killing them. My folks are in that boat
Old 10/10/08, 10:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
The ones hurting the most right now are the retired folks. Those retirement accounts are really shrinking and killing them. My folks are in that boat
Not that this will help you folks- but when you're getting close to retirement you have to take you money out of stocks, funds, etc. and put it into straight interest accounts, GIC's, etc.

I said Ford was in trouble before the summer started but no one believes me and thinks Ford is stronger than the GM. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford go under.
Old 10/10/08, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

If Ford goes under, likely Chrysler & GM will, too, in that order.

Were that to happen, we'd see an economic crisis that'd make the Great Depression look like a picnic. I suspect our "leaders" would go to extremes to attempt to prevent such, regardless of whatever future mess their actions would incur. (Which is basically what got us to this point to begin with!).

It's like catching a cold: you can not take any medication, be completely non-functional and miserable for three or four days, and then it's over. Or you can medicate so that you remain semi-functional and only semi-miserable, but it'll last for a week or two. Neither is particularly attractive, but by the time you've got the cold, your choices are limited. Prevention techniques are useless at that point. And the risk of NOT medicating is that it could become pneumonia & kill you.

Scale that up a couple 1000% and that's kinda where we're at economically right now. Medicate & prolong the recovery process? Or tough it out to speed the recovery but risk never recovering?
Old 10/10/08, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Sorry to hear that Jeff. For the last month here, its been cash deal after cash deal. Its starting to dry up though. If I was still in sales, I would be calling my previous customers that had great experiences and just talk to them personally. If they are remotely in the market, they will tell you. I always like to talk to them about what they have been up to, not about their vehicles. Makes them think of you as a friend, not just a salesman. I know that I am not telling you anything new, just helps to be reminded.
Old 10/10/08, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

wrong thread, delete this

Last edited by paradigm1220; 10/10/08 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10/10/08, 02:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
If Ford goes under, likely Chrysler & GM will, too, in that order.
If any of the big 2.8 need financial reparation, I think it would be Chrysler.
Old 10/10/08, 04:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
If any of the big 2.8 need financial reparation, I think it would be Chrysler.
Yes and No, Cerebus is not in great shape but they're also not currently public. They look bad but we have no idea how near or far they are from anything because they don't have to tell us. Of the two we DO know details on, Ford and Gm, The General is relatively speaking in worse shape. They're way behind Ford in regards to reducing costs associated with R&D, Operations, and Manufacturing.
Old 10/10/08, 05:41 PM
Closet American

No bankruptcy for either Ford or GM...yet.

But make no mistake, both are on tender hooks right now. They were in tough shape before this current financial meltdown, and will have a hard time weathering it. Government aid is very likely.

The worldwide credit crunch has stalled car sales, made it virtually impossible for GM and Ford to borrow money and plunged their stock prices to near pocket-change levels.

On the other hand, of course Ford and GM are going to issue statements of denial: They know consumers won't buy cars and trucks from bankrupt automakers.

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 10/10/08 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10/10/08, 05:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Aren't other automakers feeling it? What about the Japanese and Koreans?
Old 10/10/08, 05:56 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by WaltM
Aren't other automakers feeling it? What about the Japanese and Koreans?
Toyota sales are expected to be down 40% globally next quarter.

So to answer your question: yeah.
Old 10/10/08, 05:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Not to mention that foreign markets and stock markets are doing even worse than ours.
Old 10/10/08, 07:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Toyota sales are expected to be down 40% globally next quarter.
Good. Let 'em suffer a bit...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future of the Ford family and the 2010?