Sponsored By:

Ford's new SYNC 3...

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/14, 10:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's new SYNC 3...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/11/m...-infotainment/

And the 2015 Mustangs just got MyFord Touch...

Still prefer the SYNCv1 design, I think SYNCv3 is so bright/white it's hideous, and MyFordTouch was never able to display a map along with a decent amount of info like SYNCv1..

By the way, where is that promised AppLink update?
Old 12/12/14, 04:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From the linked article... Ford is promising everything you would expect from Sync 3, including faster response time, better voice-command integration, easier controls and a more useable interface.

Lost me at 'Ford is promising'.

Hopefully they'll get the new stuff to actually WORK as advertised before they make the switch.

Last edited by wannabe; 12/12/14 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12/12/14, 05:30 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
We got a letter form Ford yesterday saying our SYNC now has a 5 year warranty on our 2014 Edge. It works good as long as my wife doesn't hook up her ipod. If she does everything locks up and we have to do a master reset
Old 12/12/14, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The big change is that Ford finally gave Microsoft the axe and the new Snyc 3 uses QNX for the operating system. QNX is much more stable than anything Microsoft EVER wrote. You never hear much about QNX but the mars rovers run on it among other things.
Old 12/12/14, 08:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by gjcavana
The big change is that Ford finally gave Microsoft the axe and the new Snyc 3 uses QNX for the operating system. QNX is much more stable than anything Microsoft EVER wrote. You never hear much about QNX but the mars rovers run on it among other things.
I've never had a single problem with SYNCv1 on my Mustang. From what I was told, and what the Internet speculated, SYNCv1 was developed by Microsoft, but MyFordTouch only used the underlying MS platform with a load of crud on top that was written by Ford. I'm wondering how much of SYNC 3 is written by Ford and how much by Blackberry.
Old 12/12/14, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Pressed enter too fast, but I still can't believe no one else has commented on how jarringly bright and white and ugly the new UI is.
Old 12/12/14, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Not true.

The lower end Sync systems will still be Microsoft. Only the touch screen displays will be changing over to QNX.
Old 12/12/14, 09:41 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey everyone!

I see you've already checked out the blogs and news articles, but here's a link to more SYNC 3 info:

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync3/

Originally Posted by David Young
We got a letter form Ford yesterday saying our SYNC now has a 5 year warranty on our 2014 Edge. It works good as long as my wife doesn't hook up her ipod. If she does everything locks up and we have to do a master reset
Sounds like she may have some files that aren't compatible with MyFord Touch, and/or a bad cable. Make sure the files types are .mp3, .wma, .wav, and .aac. If that doesn't fix it, try a different cable, and make sure it's from Apple. Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 12/12/14 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12/12/14, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
its gonna have pinch zoom capability along with free wifi updating
Old 12/12/14, 12:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
Not true.

The lower end Sync systems will still be Microsoft. Only the touch screen displays will be changing over to QNX.
Not true, the core operating system is QNX
Old 12/12/14, 12:27 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
Not true.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/11/for...tech-platform/

A quote from the article "Gone is the Microsoft Auto platform of old and in its place is a QNX operating system running on Texas Instruments hardware."

and

"the biggest change is under the hood: Sync 3 is powered by QNX instead of Microsoft Auto.
Old 12/12/14, 12:35 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I have a 2011 GT Premium with the EP (so I don't know exactly what version 'V' I have). The SYNC system, the screen, the Nav, all work great, because they are simple. Even the display is simple - but I really like that. It works pretty good, I like it. I don't want a complex user interface. Probably because I'm simple!
Old 12/12/14, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

While I don't have the time to go look up the articles. There are three out there that state that the lower tier Sync systems will remain Microsoft driven after the QNX rollout to the 8 inch LCD displays.

And also that older systems will not be upgradeable.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 12/12/14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12/12/14, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
is this a software update? Or is it something that will only be availbe in new cars? Will my SYnc in my 2014 be able to upgrade to it?

I dont have Nav just plan sync.
Old 12/12/14, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
is this a software update? Or is it something that will only be availbe in new cars? Will my SYnc in my 2014 be able to upgrade to it?

I dont have Nav just plan sync.
From what I have read, there will be no upgrades from Microsoft Sync to QNX.

And I haven't seen a software update for the version of Sync that I have since June 2nd. It's at version 4.3.1 or 4.3.6 or something like that and has been since I bought the car.
Old 12/12/14, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msqr
I've never had a single problem with SYNCv1 on my Mustang. From what I was told, and what the Internet speculated, SYNCv1 was developed by Microsoft, but MyFordTouch only used the underlying MS platform with a load of crud on top that was written by Ford. I'm wondering how much of SYNC 3 is written by Ford and how much by Blackberry.
Hi, I lived the MFT nightmare on the 2012 ford focus. My 2012 mustang had the older sync and worked pretty stabile (only has issues with some voice recognition). The MyFordTouch nightmare was caused by Ford awarding the SW writing to a company called Bsquare. They made the most unstable product ever - kept trying to fix it - then FINALLY Ford gave them the boot and Microsoft stepped in to rewrite the code and fixed 90% of the problems. Took 2 years to make the MFT work well on the Focus.The problem didn't really seem to be the Microsoft OS (or Microsoft), it was the crappy code from the contractor. Although... it seems once Ford got a stable code they've stopped sending out any updates. Been over a year now. Maybe they're gun shy about breaking it again.
Old 12/13/14, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

QNX was designed/developed from the ground up for mobile devices. Windows was not. When MS starting pulling stuff out of Windows that didn't make sense on a mobile device, stuff started breaking. To be honest, I'm surprised MS ever got a toe-hold in any automotive (touch-screen) system.
Old 12/13/14, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
QNX was designed/developed from the ground up for mobile devices. Windows was not. When MS starting pulling stuff out of Windows that didn't make sense on a mobile device, stuff started breaking. To be honest, I'm surprised MS ever got a toe-hold in any automotive (touch-screen) system.
Not true. Should check your facts before posting misleading information. the MS auto platform is based off of Windows Embedded, which shares little resemblance with the copies of Windows running on the majority of machines you're familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Embedded
Old 12/13/14, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Exactly. Plus before Blackberry bought QNX I believe it was used almost exclusively for high end auto makers infotainment units just like this. Plus military applications.

It's super stable and reliable. Should be pretty nice. I love that you can update via Wifi in your garage.

Last edited by typesredline; 12/13/14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12/13/14, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by msqr
Pressed enter too fast, but I still can't believe no one else has commented on how jarringly bright and white and ugly the new UI is.
I like it. It's fresh and clean. Nothing wrong with bright. Plus it's the first car UI I've seen that is like a smartphone. Swiping, a static bottom ribbon, pinch to zoom, etc.

Quick Reply: Ford's new SYNC 3...