2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

FORD RECOMMENDS BP

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/10 | 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gene K
If you are pinging on anyones 93 (and it is 93) its your tune not the fuel. If a simple change in detergent package is enough to trip you over the edge you are to close.
Yeah, my tune is a little too aggressive, but that doesn't change that fact that I don't ping on Chevron and I ping excessively on Exxon.

I used to get Exxon gas exclusively, because it was the cheapest, and I pinged CONSTANTLY. I tried other stations on a whim, and realized it made a huge difference.

Chevron's the best.
Old 5/19/10 | 12:22 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Centurionusa
Anything but CITGO.
Originally Posted by Lou_n_Ada
Old 5/19/10 | 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Centurionusa
Anything but CITGO.
+1 My friend! Thats all the 7-11 stations and how funny that after the fall out over Chavez, 7-11 changed their signs on the pumps from Citgo to 7-11..

I wish we could get 93 here bit only 91 and I go to Fry's/Kroger or Costco for our gas...
Old 5/19/10 | 07:46 PM
7up

Chevron was the recommended choice by the service manager at my dealer. If there's a Chevron around, I use it. If not, I use some other known 'branded' fuel.

Gasoline at a 7-Eleven location may suffice just fine; but I haven't filled there with my current vehicle.
Old 5/19/10 | 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
ps: another reason for our american friends to forgo arab and deep sea oil...and invest in canadian tar sands...100 + year supply up here
But, but Greenpeace is against it...
Old 5/22/10 | 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

As to the original Topic:

2011 Owners Manual still recommends BP (Although its not on the gascap.... What's a gascap?)
Old 5/23/10 | 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

sunoco 93, i would of though there would be more using sunoco.
Old 5/23/10 | 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

No Sunoco around me.

My '08 runs best on Shell or Citgo (duck, roll )
Old 5/23/10 | 10:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Kahdir
I remember hearing about mid year 2005 Mustangs having a "BP Recomemded" note on either the fuel door or gas cap and I see it's also listed in the 2011 Owners manual (page 293).

With BP's recent PR hit, will you use BP fuel in your 2011 Mustang?

Do you think Ford's recommendation will have an affect on them in any way?

I haven't used EXXON since the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska and I'll never use BP again either.
Old 5/23/10 | 10:55 AM
GT Member

Hey guys,

I work in the oil industry and am actually a Petroleum Engineer.

As far as gasoline brands, its all the same. It all comes from the same refineries, and they all have the same additives! Companies just give these additives different names, and some cut the bull**** and dont even mention them. Techron is the same thing as what another company advertises as a detergent or fuel saver. Its ALL marketing. Literally at the refinery you will have a Chevron, Exxon, Shell, Mom n' Pop, and ConicoPhillips gasoline 18 wheeler lined up in a row getting filled up with gasoline coming out of the same process tank.

That being said, the ONLY things you need to be concerned about when chosing where to fill up is this: If you see a truck unloading fuel into the ground tanks at the station, DO NOT fill up at that station! This means their tanks are low and the pumps are drawing from lower levels in the storage tanks...gasoline floats on water and you have a MUCH higher chance of getting bad fuel. Stations are supposed to regulate this but its impossible to keep all water out. I guarantee you that anyone here who has ever gotten a batch of bad fuel was filling up at a station who was running very low on gasoline.

Do your wallet a favor and just pick the cheapest station. Other than Octane, all gasoline comes from the same, and very limited amounts of refineries in the US.

Last edited by raidernixon; 5/23/10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 5/23/10 | 11:03 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
BP believe it or not is sold through ARCO....well at least it is here in S.Cali.

Dave
The BP's in my area have Amoco on the side of the pump.
Old 5/23/10 | 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by raidernixon
Hey guys,

As far as gasoline brands, its all the same. It all comes from the same refineries, and they all have the same additives! Companies just give these additives different names, and some cut the bull**** and dont even mention them. Techron is the same thing as what another company advertises as a detergent or fuel saver. Its ALL marketing. Literally at the refinery you will have a Chevron, Exxon, Shell, Mom n' Pop, and ConicoPhillips gasoline 18 wheeler lined up in a row getting filled up with gasoline coming out of the same process tank.

That being said, the ONLY things you need to be concerned about when chosing where to fill up is this: If you see a truck unloading fuel into the ground tanks at the station, DO NOT fill up at that station! This means their tanks are low and the pumps are drawing from lower levels in the storage tanks...gasoline floats on water and you have a MUCH higher chance of getting bad fuel. Stations are supposed to regulate this but its impossible to keep all water out. I guarantee you that anyone here who has ever gotten a batch of bad fuel was filling up at a station who was running very low on gasoline.

Do your wallet a favor and just pick the cheapest station. Other than Octane, all gasoline comes from the same, and very limited amounts of refineries in the US.
A Texan talking oil; definitely worth listening to. Thanks for the info!
Old 5/23/10 | 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Old news..........My 07 GT I bought in 2006 said the same thing on the cap.

Means nothing............
Old 5/23/10 | 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys,

Been trying to tell people this for years. I worked at a Gulf station for a few years and there would be a different truck in there all the time. Station owner just went with whatever was the cheapest that week or whatever.

All of the gas comes from the same refineries, so the branding means nothing.
Old 5/23/10 | 01:32 PM
Post *****

From an end user following that advice:
I finally said the heck with it and somewhere in the late 90's I quit name brands and went to the 'cheap station' locally. It is a very high volume station - way busier than any of the 'brand name' stations. I have not had one single fuel issue. I occasionally add a bottle of fuel system cleaner for good measure.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/23/10 at 01:34 PM.
Old 5/31/10 | 08:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Something tells me Ford won't recommend BP anymore....lol!!
Old 5/31/10 | 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

lol!

I just wish it was as easy as dropping a bunch of boulders on the pipeline to clog it up...
Old 6/2/10 | 08:43 AM
V6 Member

I abandoned discount fuels a while ago thinking that my older cars would probably get some benefit out of the detergents in the "Brand Name" fuels. But for my new Mustang, I'm considering going back to the cheaper stations. I don't plan on keeping this car until it gets too old (plan on trading up to a GT!), and I'm not gonna be racing this car or taking it to the track, so I figure the gas I put in the car wouldn't really make a difference to me.

Have any of you guys noticed any differences in performance or fuel economy using E10 vs regular gasoline in these new Mustangs? I know the regular vs premium grade fuels discussion has been had, but I didn't find any talk on E10. So far, I've been using E10 (Sunoco) and I've been getting 18 mpg. I'm not sure if there's any station with regular gasoline around me (central NJ), but I'm gonna see if I can find one.
Old 6/2/10 | 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

If stations do what their supposed to (I know they dont always) Toptier means more detergent than the EPA minimum.
So given a choice I will go with a Toptier rated fuel. Otherwise you are guaranteed to get EPA minimum.
Old 6/2/10 | 01:05 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by PodLite
Have any of you guys noticed any differences in performance or fuel economy using E10 vs regular gasoline in these new Mustangs?
My Bullitt (has the Adaptive Spark Ignition like the 10/11 V8's) dropped about 1mpg all around mileage with corn oil.