2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ford Extended Service Plan

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/12, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Extended Service Plan

Just wondering what you guys think about Ford ESP, if anybody has it and what plan did you get? Im thinking with all of the tech in the car that Premium Care is the way to go. Thoughts anyone? Thanks..
Old 5/17/12, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Partswiz
Just wondering what you guys think about Ford ESP, if anybody has it and what plan did you get? Im thinking with all of the tech in the car that Premium Care is the way to go. Thoughts anyone? Thanks..
Depends on how long you plan on keeping it. I'm trading in an 27 month old Mazda Speed 3 with only 21,000 miles

Last edited by Jellowood; 5/17/12 at 06:16 PM.
Old 5/17/12, 07:38 PM
GT Member

I did opt for the Premium ESP and got it directly from Ford (but I think you can get a better rate through a Ford dealer). I took it for 7 years and 60k miles. I haven't tested it yet, but I covered bumper to bumper for the duration.

Originally Posted by Jellowood
Depends on how long you plan on keeping it. I'm trading in an 27 month old Mazda Speed 3 with only 21,000 miles
And the "other" big reason I took it is because it goes with the car. I can only imagine it would help the resale value.
Old 5/17/12, 07:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I bought extended powertrain coverage to 7/100K for an extra $500 when I got mine used last September. Figured it was peace of mind in buying a car with a brand new engine + transmission this model year.
Old 5/17/12, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the ESP Premium, purchased on line from a Ford Dealer. He was the cheapest by far for the 7/100,000 mile package. If you plan on keeping the car, it is "piece of mind" thing.

This is a personal decision, based on what you plan to do with the car. So, long story short, shop around before you decide.

Here is a link to Flood Ford, where I purchased mine:

http://www.floodfordesp.com/
Old 5/17/12, 08:40 PM

I am interested in this as well as I will put 33k miles/yr on my car. My main concern is the engine/tranny, so I'm thinking maybe I should just go for the powertrain care. Do those online sites like Flood Ford work regardless of state? I didn't realize you could purchase something like that online. Good to know as i can compare those prices to what my dealer offers.
Old 5/17/12, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

i voided my warranty already on the boss...... i laughed at the dealer when he asked if i wanted the extended warranty followed by i cant order my long tube headers from you can I
Old 5/17/12, 10:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the 7yr at a decent price but $500 is a steal. Figure Ill do exhaust/appearance mods first, then suspension & then see what I can get away with at my dealer after that, a few years in. Theyll tell me what theyll cover & theyre more lenient if they do the install, which seems common from what I read.

Shoulda gotten the Simoniz for the leather interior warranty, but I was trying to keep the monthly down. I did get both the paint protection & leather treatment in the end but no warranty so no leather replacement if I eff it up.
Old 5/18/12, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It was a no brainer for me. I bought the 5 year bumper to bumper. Because of that the interest on the loan was lower and if I end up not needing to use it, they cut me a check for the full amount at the end of five years. Now how can you go wrong with that?

John
Old 5/18/12, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no. i plan on voiding the warranty.
Old 5/18/12, 12:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffL
no. i plan on voiding the warranty.
^^^ This ^^^
Old 5/18/12, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have never heard of getting all of your money back on one of these at the end of the term if you don't use it..better read that contract again...they sell these because they make a ton of money on them..they wouldn't sell them if they didn't....most "experts" say don't buy them just put the amount you would have paid into a savings account and use it if something happens down the road. Most things that are going to go wrong ( if you happen to get that "lemon", go wrong while still under warranty. I personally never buy them.
Old 5/18/12, 01:47 PM
GT Member

I've got one mainly for the piece of mind having bought the car used. As it's from the manufacturer, I'm comfortable buying it but I would never buy one from a third party.
Old 5/18/12, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Steven
I've got one mainly for the piece of mind having bought the car used. As it's from the manufacturer, I'm comfortable buying it but I would never buy one from a third party.
Used is a different story. IMO a must if buying used. Friend at work bought a used Mazda Tribute off a Volvo lot with no warranty and 8 months later blew a head gasket. Dealer wanted to charge $2700!!
Old 5/18/12, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
I have never heard of getting all of your money back on one of these at the end of the term if you don't use it..better read that contract again... they sell these because they make a ton of money on them..they wouldn't sell them if they didn't....most "experts" say don't buy them just put the amount you would have paid into a savings account and use it if something happens down the road. Most things that are going to go wrong ( if you happen to get that "lemon", go wrong while still under warranty. I personally never buy them.
I have a refundable one (non-Ford). Bought an ext warr because I was unsure of ECU stuff since I'm an 'old school' mechanic. And one good repair will cost a hell of a lot more than the warranty did.

The refundable contract didn't cost more than the non-refund. In fact, they gave me the wrong contract initially, so the sales mgr called the company and got it corrected on a new contract for a full refund if I don't use it. I knew they were making a fat commish, but the warranty goes to the 2nd buyer, I got extended coverage, and there's a good chance I'll get refunded.

Course I'll believe it when the check clears.

Lke all insurance, most of their money is made by investing your premiums over a number of years.

With what I've learned about ECU stuff I wouldn't buy one on a new car again - but prob on a used car if the price was right.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/18/12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 5/18/12, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I sold cars and warranties with them for many years. The bottom line is this,
If you have savings to cover repairs if something major arises I'd say skip the warranty. If you are on a tight budget and would struggle to get by if say you had a $3000 repair bill then I would get the warranty. For every person that gets their money back out of a warranty there are ten that do not. It just comes down to if you want to assume the risk or not.
Old 5/18/12, 04:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
I have never heard of getting all of your money back on one of these at the end of the term if you don't use it..better read that contract again...they sell these because they make a ton of money on them..they wouldn't sell them if they didn't....most "experts" say don't buy them just put the amount you would have paid into a savings account and use it if something happens down the road. Most things that are going to go wrong ( if you happen to get that "lemon", go wrong while still under warranty. I personally never buy them.
You never get what you paid for it, back when you cancel it. Its all pro-rated by Ford based on what was used and what is left. And the check does not come from the dealership where you cancel it, but from Ford in the mail.
Old 7/24/12, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Jeff,

Can you tell me how the refund amount is calculated when the warranty is cancelled before the termination date?

Thanks!
Old 2/19/13, 06:02 PM

Hello, I love this site.

I just purchased a 2013 Grabber Blue GT 6SPD. It came with 4700 Miles ( the owner had to sell it to the dealer ) lost it as i heard due to financial issues. So I ended up picking up for 26.904, and 0 down and financing it for 72 months @ 537 a month... Yeah i know it comes out to 38K... which brings me down to question what i get my self into.

the car was 26,906
Pursuit Security 300
ETCH PP1 3000 179 ? is it worth it?
DENT and WHEEL STD 120 ?
PAINT & INT Protection 199.00 >? ( thought this was included in my limited warranty from ford )

Now the car total is 27,704
+ tax ( got to pay uncle sam )
License FEE

documentation fee...

now comes the fun part.

GAP INSURANCE 400
and 2800 for EXTENDER BREAKDOWN agreement.

Do i really need these two?

The total price is 34.422. and some change, but here is where my dilemma kicks in..

I know i need GAP. I found trough FORD ESP PLANS on FLOOD FORD way cheaper... this one has 50 dollar deductible and 2800.. LAME

I plan on keeping my car.

Last edited by Aleksandar Dragosavljevic; 2/19/13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 2/19/13, 08:55 PM

Congrats on your new ride.

My thoughts on your questions (others please chime in to correct me or offer different opinions):

Gap insurance is important if you are financing the car. In the unlikely event the car was totaled it will pay the difference between the actual cash value of the vehicle and the amount due on the lease or loan(this could be thousands of dollars). Some gap insurance will also pay for the insurance deductible.

Pursuit Security sounds like a security system/remote starter add-on when I Googled it. Tell your insurance company if that is the case. You will likely get an insurance discount if this is an active security system (on top of the passive security system on all newer Mustangs; rfid key, etc.). Have seen aftermarket remote starters with installation for a bit less, but it's on par with the factory install Ford remote starter cost. Remote starters are really nice to pre-heat or pre-cool your car.

Etch PP1: guessing this is VIN number etching on the window glass. Some glass places, police departments or insurance agencies will do this for free or a reduced cost so you could do this for cheaper if you call around. If it's glass etching like I think, this also would qualify you for a discount on the comprehensive part of your insurance policy. This is purely optional (don't have it myself) but might deter theft and reduce insurance premiums slightly.

Ask on the paint and interior protection. Sounds optional. Could be fabric protectant and exterior detailing. May or may not be worth it depending on the amount of work they are doing. Your call on this; you could likely do this yourself for less (I have a Chilton's Auto Detailing book; probably still available or a library would have it; or a good auto parts place can walk you through what you need).

Extender Breakdown/Ford ESP: Assuming they are one and the same but suggest you ask. Service contracts are entirely optional but sometimes they come in really handy...my father once blew an engine on a 92 Crown Vic out of warranty but in Ford ESP coverage...we wound up with a '95 Crown Vic engine paid by Ford ESP. If you decide to buy this (from whatever source), get coverage in terms of years/miles/deductible/extent of coverage that is appropriate for your budget and what you think you'll need for coverage.

Don't have a clue what the DENT and WHEEL STD 120 is. Maybe someone else knows..

Quick Reply: Ford Extended Service Plan