Sponsored By:

Ford CAN deliver on time!

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/10, 07:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ford CAN deliver on time!

Hey everyone,

So I ordered my 11 Mustang GT around August 10th or so and when I bought, the manager at the dealership told me it would take about 6 weeks to get it. I told him I really didn't want to wait long and when I asked him again for his best guess as to how long it'd take, he told me 6 weeks is average. After I made my purchased I started reviewing this forum a lot and saw that most orders took 2-3 months from order to delivery, and a handful of nightmares existed with people having to wait 4-6 MONTHS to get their car! When I saw all this, I got worried and expected to get my car at some time in mid to late October.

Anyhoo, time passed and I found Blue Oval Forum and one of the guys on there was kind enough to track my order as it went through the various stages. He really helped to keep me sane, especially when he told me the dealer ETA would be 9/14! Then this Monday I told me the ETA was bumped up to 9/10!!!

As if that wasn't enough, tonight (an hour ago) I got an email from my sales rep saying the dealership had received my car (and today is only Sept 8!). I asked if I could come get it tonight, but he said I couldn't because they still have to enter it into inventory, prep it and get me some plates for it. He also mentioned he hasn't yet received my shelby lip spoiler or GT CS front valence that I ordered. If all goes well, I'll be picking up the car first thing after work tomorrow! I can't wait!
Old 9/8/10, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the GT Performance Package?
Old 9/8/10, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome, I know you don't have the car but I will add this

Old 9/8/10, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by newpony
What is the GT Performance Package?
I am curious as well.
Old 9/8/10, 07:37 PM
GT Member

LOL at SynisterGT! I promise I will add pics as soon as I get to see the car (hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow first thing after work). I even charged my camera battery tonight.

For the other guys, the GT Performance pack (the full name is actually GT Brake Performance package...my bad) is what they call the brembo brake package up in Canada. It gives you the upgraded brakes, rims and strut tower brace.
Old 9/8/10, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fossy207
LOL at SynisterGT! I promise I will add pics as soon as I get to see the car (hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow first thing after work). I even charged my camera battery tonight.

For the other guys, the GT Performance pack (the full name is actually GT Brake Performance package...my bad) is what they call the brembo brake package up in Canada. It gives you the upgraded brakes, rims and strut tower brace.
Ah Ok cant wait for the pics. I gotta remember to charge my camera glad to know you are thinking ahead.
Old 9/8/10, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unfortunately, you are the exception, not the rule. Generally, Ford cannot deliver on time.

Congrats on the car, though!
Old 9/8/10, 10:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the members here ordered his 11 5.0L from us a few months ago. It showed up just 41 days later. Gotta say that's an exception to the rule, but it does happen sometimes.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 9/9/10 at 07:34 AM.
Old 9/9/10, 03:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still find the wait for a new ordered Mustang to be amazingly long. When I ordered my Mini Cooper five years ago, it took exactly five weeks from the time I placed my order to receive the car. The car was built in England and shipped over by boat. Hard to believe a car built a few hours from here often takes twice that long or more.
Old 9/9/10, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I placed my order with my dealer on August 5, he submitted the order to Ford on August 16th and it's not scheduled yet.
Old 9/9/10, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the post! This gives me some hope. My salesman told me mine would probably be delivered late October... hope it's early like your's!
Old 9/9/10, 11:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered mine 8/16 and it's scheduled to be built this week. I could have a turnaround in less than 30 days if it works out.
Old 9/9/10, 12:38 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was exactly 6 weeks. Just like they said
Old 9/9/10, 03:33 PM
V6 Member

Fossy,

I had placed an order for one in July and had to cancel due to lack of allocation. A week later, I placed another order and the same thing happened again. In the end, I contacted Ford Canada and they helped me locate one outside of Calgary and had it trucked in.

YOU ARE EXTREMELY LUCKY! My understanding was that for July/August, there was only allocation for 50 new Mustang orders for ALL OF CANADA as the USA was getting a big chunk of the Oakville allocation due to high demand. In July alone, there was a backlog of 900!!!!! new orders for the Mustang fighting for that allocation of 50.

So, I went from 2 cancelled orders and no hope in getting the car before November and then getting it 2 weeks later. I lucked out and it sounds like you did too.
Old 9/9/10, 09:35 PM

Nearly 9 weeks and counting for me. It should be getting here in the next week or so, but I'm not holding my breath.

The wait is frustrating. The last car I ordered, an '09 Volvo C30, got here in two months, a whole month earlier than expected. And the car before that, a 2000 Volkswagen Golf, took six months from the date I ordered it, but it got here on the exact week my dealer had promised it six months prior. And this was when they were still being built in Germany, not Mexico or Brazil.

One might think that in the year 2010 the whole process would be more efficient and delivery dates more predictable as a result, but I guess we still have a long way to go.

Last edited by jason202; 9/10/10 at 07:05 AM.
Old 9/10/10, 12:13 AM
Banned

Unfortunately, the Ford plant that makes the Mustang is also shared with Mazda, and the sales of the Mazda 6 have tapered off to the point that they went to one shift at the plant, just as the launch backlog is clearing up. Unfortunately, Mustang sales are more cyclic than most cars -- nobody wants to order a sports car in the winter.
Old 9/10/10, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Banffsnow guy: I don't understand why you would cancel an order due to lack of allocation? Isn't it the earlier your order is in, the earlier you would get an allocation? So if you ordered, cancelled and reordered, wouldn't you be delaying your eventual allocation?
Old 9/10/10, 05:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by banffsnowguy
Fossy,

My understanding was that for July/August, there was only allocation for 50 new Mustang orders for ALL OF CANADA as the USA was getting a big chunk of the Oakville allocation due to high demand. In July alone, there was a backlog of 900!!!!! new orders for the Mustang fighting for that allocation of 50.
Anyone have further details on this?