2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

First oil change on my 11 GT today

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/11, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the dealer quoted me $60 for full synthetic change, and being that it takes 8 quarts, that was a bargain, I thought. I get there, and they want $80 because they didn't realize the amount of oil it needed. Put my foot down, and came out with quoted price. But they tried a couple of things that I'm not sure about:

1. Wanted to rotate my tires for $30 extra. Putting aside the steep price, there's only 5,700 miles on the clock. They said it was time to do it. I've had many a car in my life, and I've never rotated so soon. I told the guy no, just like the additives and other stuff he wanted to sell me.

2. They put on the windscreen sticker that my next oil change should be at 10,000 miles or in 4 months from today. They used Motorcraft Full Synthetic. I thought this was good for 6,000 at least? Now, that sticker is going to contradict the computer system that tells you when to do it, no doubt. For caution's sake, I'll change too early than too late, though.

3. It was down on about a quart of oil. They told me this was normal and some engines burn the oil and that's fine. He said that It is normal for a perfectly Healthy engine to burn a quart every 2,000 miles. Now, I'm no automotive guru, but as a shadetree amateur, I'm calling bull**** on that one. I don't know how an engine that's not even fully broken in is burning oil. If everything works as it should, the oil should be lubricating and not getting consumed. Could it be that this is part of the break-in process? Could they have put 7 quarts at the factory?

4. They also forgot/didn't know to reset the computer's oil life percentage. It was at 66%, so I reset it back to 100% by holding the reset button. Is there anything else I need to do to make sure the computer's oil life sensor is completely reset, or no?

Anyhow, hate the dealership, but they tell me that in order to avoid any possible warranty issues in the future, it's good to get it all done there for the first 3 years or so. Makes sense. Oh, last thing, no ticking after the oil change--I heard people were having problems with that.

Last edited by Gaspi101; 1/8/11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 1/8/11, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaspi101
1. Wanted to rotate my tires for $30 extra.

2. They put on the windscreen sticker that my next oil change should be at 10,000 miles or in 4 months from today. They used Motorcraft Full Synthetic.

3. It was down on about a quart of oil. They told me this was normal and some engines burn the oil and that's fine.
1. Sure they wanted to recover the $20 they lost on the prior quote. Do it
yourself and save $30.

2. The fact that it's full syn and has 8 quarts is the reason for the 10k interval. Depending on the type of driving you do, 8 to 10k on full syn should be just fine. It takes that long for the additive pac in the oil to get used up. The more oil is in the engine, the longer the OCI. It should be 10k or 1 year for full syn, not 4 mos. That is a waste. Even the semi-syn is 10k and 6 mos.

3. New engines can consume oil as they are breaking in. As long as the consumption stops, it should be OK. Edit: 1 Qt in 5700 mi is fine.

Last edited by 825LTRGT; 1/8/11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 1/8/11, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT

1. Sure they wanted to recover the $20 they lost on the prior quote. Do it
yourself and save $30.

2. The fact that it's full syn and has 8 quarts is the reason for the 10k interval. Depending on the type of driving you do, 8 to 10k on full syn should be just fine. It takes that long for the additive pac in the oil to get used up. The more oil is in the engine, the longer the OCI. It should be 10k or 1 year for full syn, not 4 mos. That is a waste. Even the semi-syn is 10k and 6 mos.

3. New engines can consume oil as they are breaking in. As long as the consumption stops, it should be OK. Edit: 1 Qt in 5700 mi is fine.
No, it's not a 10,000 interval that they told me--they gave me a 4,300 mile interval. I'm at 5,700 miles now. Good to hear about the consumption. This is my first new new car, you know....by when should the oil stop being consumed. And why is it being consumed? Burning? Absorbed by the seals, gaskets, etc?
Old 1/8/11, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Look in your owners manual for the OCI. It's 10k I believe. It's 7500 for my '08. Less than that is a waste and more $$ for the dealer on an easy job.

The oil consumption is due to the rings seating etc. Expect it to stop soon but a small amount of oil blowns through the PCV. That's why oil catch cans are so popular. It may be fine now..at 5600 the motor is broken in.
Old 1/8/11, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Owners Manual states, 10,000 miles, or one year between oil changes or when the monitor indicates it is due. I did my first one at 3000 miles, as I have always done with a new car. No oil consumption at all. I have 6000 miles on it now and still no oil consumption. The dealer should read the guidelines from Ford. It sounds as if they are still in the "make money" mode as far as oil changes go. Simply follow the manual and keep your records. If you feel uncomfortable with the 10,000 mile changes you can move it to 7500, but anything less is a waste of money with full syn.
Old 1/8/11, 02:39 PM
GT Member

New engines do consume oil. The VQ37VHR from the 370Z was notorious for burning oil during break in. However, as mileage increased, oil consumption decreased.
Old 1/8/11, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Disagree w/the 10k argument. Maybe it's in my head but I'm in tune with my vehicle and I just don't feel comfortable pushing it past 6-7k on Mobile 1.
Old 1/8/11, 03:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by essque
Disagree w/the 10k argument. Maybe it's in my head but I'm in tune with my vehicle and I just don't feel comfortable pushing it past 6-7k on Mobile 1.
It has a lot to do with how you drive and the quality of the oil you pick. Extended oil changes are very much possible nowadays. But you are right, its ultimately up to you and what you are comfortable with.

Last edited by Liquid; 1/8/11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 1/8/11, 04:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by essque
You know, I think we are all led by what we "feel" too often when it comes to oil change intervals. What do you mean you are "in tune" with your car? Does it tell you, "hey, I'm feeling like I need my oil changed...". No. Well, maybe the new ones do, literally, with the computer. And that solves everything, according to the manual.

The manual says change it within 500 miles of receiving the notice of "change oil soon" in the Message Center, and that this interval may be up to 10,000 miles or one year, BUT that if the system is prematurely reset or not functioning, do it every 5,000 miles. see pic attached in next post.

To the guys that say "it's how you drive it that makes a difference in intervals," how the hell would you know that it should be 4000 this time and it was 7,000 last time? You somehow know that your driving caused 3,000 miles of additional wear to the oil? No way to know that.

So the question is: how smart is the mustang's message center? The manual suggests that it does reflect actual oil life rather than simply provide a countdown until the next fixed interval, by saying it could be as much as 10,000 miles, but if it's been messed with, do it at 5,000.

And if that's the case, is the stealership just living up to its name by telling me my next oil change is in 4,000 miles or in 4 months?

Great responses all, by the way. Thanks.

Last edited by Gaspi101; 1/8/11 at 05:35 PM.
Old 1/8/11, 05:35 PM
GT Member

Page from manual
Attached Images  
Old 1/8/11, 05:37 PM
GT Member

From iPad. Blurry?
Attached Images  
Old 1/8/11, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

FWIW, I ran Mobil 1 in my car from 1k till 15K. Switched to Motorcraft Semi and use that now. It likes the MC better. Runs better. MC has really good base stock.

As far as when to change. Look at the dip stick. If it's dirty..change it. But the MC in my car never gets dirtier than an amber color. I usually change it between 5500 and 6k.

If you beat the snot out of the car, change it early. If not, when you feel like it. The days of the 3m/3k oil change are over. The oil additives are much better now.
Old 1/8/11, 08:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
8 quarts. I thought I saw it was 6. I bought 2 jugs of the 5 qt jugs anyhow. I bought Valvoline's SynPower.
Old 1/8/11, 08:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
FWIW, I ran Mobil 1 in my car from 1k till 15K. Switched to Motorcraft Semi and use that now. It likes the MC better. Runs better. MC has really good base stock.

As far as when to change. Look at the dip stick. If it's dirty..change it. But the MC in my car never gets dirtier than an amber color. I usually change it between 5500 and 6k.

If you beat the snot out of the car, change it early. If not, when you feel like it. The days of the 3m/3k oil change are over. The oil additives are much better now.
The color of an oil is no indication of when it should be changed. If its brown, it only means its doing its job.
Old 1/8/11, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Liquid

The color of an oil is no indication of when it should be changed. If its brown, it only means its doing its job.
Well, not necessarily true. It means that there is not enough carbon deposits and other contaminants in the oil. My wife has driven her 2010 rav4 for 14 months, and put less than 5,000 on the clock, and the oil coming down from the pan looked brand new when we changed it recently. That doesn't mean that her oil hasn't been doing it's job, only that she drives it very gently and that 4 cylinder variable timing engine is well built.

Last edited by Gaspi101; 1/8/11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 1/8/11, 11:32 PM
GT Member

Well, not necessarily true. It means that there is not enough carbon deposits and other contaminants in the oil. My wife has driven her 2010 rav4 for 14 months, and put less than 5,000 on the clock, and the oil coming down from the pan looked brand new when we changed it recently. That doesn't mean that her oil hasn't been doing it's job, only that she drives it very gently and that 4 cylinder variable timing engine is well built.
I apologize for not being clear. I should have said that just because it is brown, doesn't mean it should be changed. Regardless of what color the oil actually is, the color is not an indicator of when it should be changed.
Old 1/9/11, 01:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Liquid

I apologize for not being clear. I should have said that just because it is brown, doesn't mean it should be changed. Regardless of what color the oil actually is, the color is not an indicator of when it should be changed.
I completely agree with that. :-)
Old 1/9/11, 02:24 AM
Bullitt Member

for me, I always notice a slight drop in performance when it's time. It may be ever so slight or psychosomatic, but the car just doesn't feel as responsive when it's pushed to the limits as it would be with a reasonably recent oil change. just my .02 cents

You know, I think we are all led by what we "feel" too often when it comes to oil change intervals. What do you mean you are "in tune" with your car? Does it tell you, "hey, I'm feeling like I need my oil changed...". No. Well, maybe the new ones do, literally, with the computer. And that solves everything, according to the manual.

The manual says change it within 500 miles of receiving the notice of "change oil soon" in the Message Center, and that this interval may be up to 10,000 miles or one year, BUT that if the system is prematurely reset or not functioning, do it every 5,000 miles. see pic attached in next post.

To the guys that say "it's how you drive it that makes a difference in intervals," how the hell would you know that it should be 4000 this time and it was 7,000 last time? You somehow know that your driving caused 3,000 miles of additional wear to the oil? No way to know that.

So the question is: how smart is the mustang's message center? The manual suggests that it does reflect actual oil life rather than simply provide a countdown until the next fixed interval, by saying it could be as much as 10,000 miles, but if it's been messed with, do it at 5,000.

And if that's the case, is the stealership just living up to its name by telling me my next oil change is in 4,000 miles or in 4 months?

Great responses all, by the way. Thanks.
Old 1/9/11, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1. Wanted to rotate my tires for $30 extra. Putting aside the steep price, there's only 5,700 miles on the clock. They said it was time to do it. I've had many a car in my life, and I've never rotated so soon.
Am I the only guy around that NEVER rotates tires? I've gotten incredible mileage out of tires the past 10 years or so since I stopped rotating and raised the PSI to somewhere between what Ford recommends and the stated max inflation on the tire.
Old 1/9/11, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use amsoil and change around 10000 miles.filter change and add I quart at 5000ish Good to go.

Quick Reply: First oil change on my 11 GT today