2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

first oil change 2014 gt

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/14, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first oil change 2014 gt

So I took delivery of my new 5.0 on October 1st 2013 after having a 2005 for over 8 years. I was always changing my oil every 3000 miles which usually take me 5-6 months to get to. I was going to do the same for this car but the manual says 7500 miles and that my screen display will alert me when. I checked the car health report on the display today and it said oil life at 61 % and I'm at 3090 miles.

I would just like everyones opinions.... 7500 miles, or waiting for the "car" to tell me seems a little too long.

And on another note I was also thinking about lowering it, I'm just concered about how it would look with staggered 20's. My has an 01 that is lowered but it has staggered 17 Chrome bullet wheel so it looks great. He is against me lowering it, but I just feel like it's so high up, especially after the 20's... almost like the Challengers! Ha... I didn't have that feeling with 20's on my 05.

What do you guys think...
Old 3/8/14, 08:21 PM
GT Member

IMO, that is two long for change intervals. For many reasons.
Old 3/8/14, 08:21 PM
GT Member

5000 miles max
Old 3/8/14, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Definitely lower it. Springs, Shocks, PHB, LCA relocation brackets, CC Plates.

I do my oil changes every 5k miles. always have with the mustangs and never had any issue.
Old 3/8/14, 10:59 PM
Banned

here we friggin' go again.

Follow the manufacturer which RECOMMENDS 10,000 miles or 1 year.

/end thread, NO MORE REPLIES NEEDED.
Old 3/8/14, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
here we friggin' go again.

Follow the manufacturer which RECOMMENDS 10,000 miles or 1 year.

/end thread, NO MORE REPLIES NEEDED.
The manufacturer recommendations depend on driving conditions.
Old 3/8/14, 11:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by STANGIT-NV
So I took delivery of my new 5.0 on October 1st 2013 after having a 2005 for over 8 years. I was always changing my oil every 3000 miles which usually take me 5-6 months to get to. I was going to do the same for this car but the manual says 7500 miles and that my screen display will alert me when. I checked the car health report on the display today and it said oil life at 61 % and I'm at 3090 miles.

I would just like everyones opinions.... 7500 miles, or waiting for the "car" to tell me seems a little too long.

And on another note I was also thinking about lowering it, I'm just concered about how it would look with staggered 20's. My has an 01 that is lowered but it has staggered 17 Chrome bullet wheel so it looks great. He is against me lowering it, but I just feel like it's so high up, especially after the 20's... almost like the Challengers! Ha... I didn't have that feeling with 20's on my 05.

What do you guys think...
Depending on how you drive your ride will determine what's the besy oil change interval. Do you weekly track or drag strip race your car. Before people on here start shouting out answers, we don't know how the OP is using his mustang. If the OP is racing their mustang on a regular weekly on monthly basis, then 7,500 miles sounds too long.

Now, if the OP is using his mustang for a DD or nice weekend sunny day drive and not track or drag strip racing 7,500 miles is perfect. For this application of driving there is no need to change at 5,000 miles. For Pete sake , the owners manual states 10,000 mile oil change intervals and that's based on using Motorcraft 50/50 blend.

So 5,000 miles is freaking crazy to change the filter and oil based upon normal driving conditions. Your just throwing away perfectly good oil, waste of money and time.

Don't get sucked into peoples archaic, old fashion, 20 years ago way of thinking because with today's oil and technology , there is no need too waste good oil. Just stick with Motorcraft 50/50 blend or a fully synthetic oil and 7,500 will be more than perfect.

I personally use Super Tech fully synthetic motor oil. Its a base III synthetic and Walmart sells 5 quart jug for under 18 dollars. 1 quart sells for 5 dollars. Super tech fully synthetic oil is just as good as any other base III synthetic.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/8/14 at 11:20 PM.
Old 3/8/14, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
The manufacturer recommendations depend on driving conditions.
in which the computer ramps up the OLM. Case in point, first two oil changes nailed @ 10k and 20k, third one? 28k

still can end this thread.
Old 3/8/14, 11:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

in which the computer ramps up the OLM. Case in point, first two oil changes nailed @ 10k and 20k, third one? 28k

still can end this thread.
I agree with you however I don't pay attention to the oil life monitor. I'm not convinced its accurate and has any idea if someone uses a higher grade motor oil such as a base IV synthetic like Royal Purple or Amsoil..
Old 3/8/14, 11:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I agree with you however I don't pay attention to the oil life monitor. I'm not convinced its accurate and has any idea if someone uses a higher grade motor oil such as a base IV synthetic like Royal Purple or Amsoil..
ah yes, another person that believes the very people that engineered it are lying.
Old 3/8/14, 11:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
You could always have it tested and have the testers tell you how much life the oil has left...
Old 3/8/14, 11:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
ah yes, another person that believes the very people that engineered it are lying.
Mine has never notified me before 10k miles, and I typically drive under "extreme" environments - lots of short trips rarely warming up the motor, especially in cold weather.
Old 3/9/14, 12:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Not lying but the system is not accurate. I personally wouldn't rely on the oil life monitor. Its a good tool so people who are not active car enthusiasts like us , it reminds them to change the oil. My mother has a oil monitor system in her Toyota. Its designed too go off every 5,000 miles regardless of how you drive the vehicle or the type of oil used.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/9/14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 3/9/14, 04:43 AM
Cobra Member

7500 is fine, the OLM keeps track of your driving patterns. If you are constantly varying RPMs with a lot of stop and go driving, or drive mostly highway, the system will adjust accordingly. Once you start changing your own oil with the brand you like, get an Oil Analyzers test kit, and have your next fill tested at 5k miles and see how much life it has left. Then you can see if you can 'trust' the OLM reading.
Old 3/9/14, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Why do we always seem to argue over the same topic? You can change the oil every week if that makes you sleep better at night. You don't NEED to change more frequently than 7500 to 10000 miles if you use a quality synthetic oil. And when you actually NEED to change your oil the car will tell you.

When I took my car to the track the OLM would drop the remaining oil life by 2-3% after each of my sessions (30 minutes, and roughly 35 miles) . After 2 days days and ~280 track mile it dropped by 18%. That seems about right to me. 300 miles of daily driving will typically drop the oil life by 2-3% based on my experience. I'd say the OLM is doing it's job.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/9/14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 3/9/14, 12:48 PM

I was afraid this battle would happen...

It is a DD, about 15 miles a day 5x a week. I really don't drive it that much, as we have a family car that we drive on the weekends so my husband's Mustang doesn't get driven that much either.

I have been all for going with the manual, but my husband is one of those 3000 mile believers and has been giving me non stop grief for not doing it yet. Ford even called me last week to schedule an appointment, but I told them no as I don't drive it that much.

We are both car people, and mustangs are how we met, but this is one thing we just don't agree on. I think it stems from that whole life time transmission fluid thing they have going now too. We have a Mazda cx9 where we just hit 75, 000 where it said life time and oh was it horrid... runs much smoother now.

At this point I have had my thoughts reassured. I plan on waiting, but I do think I will go full synthetic at the change. I feel like since I already went all out on buying this car, I might as well keep it up... treat it a little better than my last Mustang.

Now I just have to get him to cool his jets on me lowering it...
Old 3/9/14, 02:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by STANGIT-NV
I was afraid this battle would happen...

It is a DD, about 15 miles a day 5x a week. I really don't drive it that much, as we have a family car that we drive on the weekends so my husband's Mustang doesn't get driven that much either.

I have been all for going with the manual, but my husband is one of those 3000 mile believers and has been giving me non stop grief for not doing it yet. Ford even called me last week to schedule an appointment, but I told them no as I don't drive it that much.

We are both car people, and mustangs are how we met, but this is one thing we just don't agree on. I think it stems from that whole life time transmission fluid thing they have going now too. We have a Mazda cx9 where we just hit 75, 000 where it said life time and oh was it horrid... runs much smoother now.

At this point I have had my thoughts reassured. I plan on waiting, but I do think I will go full synthetic at the change. I feel like since I already went all out on buying this car, I might as well keep it up... treat it a little better than my last Mustang.

Now I just have to get him to cool his jets on me lowering it...
If your husband is a 3,000 mile oil change interval believer , then change it at 3,000 miles. In fact like the other person posted, change your oil every week if it makes your husband happy. The 3,000 mile oil change is ancient and was around when the New Kids On The Block were popular. With that said if your husband is a believer of that, then rock out and change it evey 3,000 miles. Its your time and money. Its your guys car and can do whatever you like.

Absolutely no argument here about this thread. Lol. If your asking when is it necessary too change the oil and filter. Based on how you drive the car, every 7,500 to 10,000 miles. If you want to satisfy your husbands mental illness about the 3,000 mile oil change, change it every 3,000 miles. Lol! Its just oil people not that big of a deal! Just change it on a regular basis and your engine will love you..

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/9/14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 3/9/14, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The 3,000 mile interval was made up by quick lubes so they could keep people coming in more often and make more money. Some old people that come into my shop that still want 3,000 mile changes, everyone I drain it it looks almost did it did when I put it in. My college auto instructor has a 69 GT that he still had the owners manual for...wanna guess what manufacture interval was then? 6,000 or 6,500. 3k is just wasteful unless you track the car imo. There are some people that since they aren't dd's they just change it once a year even if they didn't drive it a lot. It's all about what you want to do
Old 3/9/14, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I do all of my cars every 5,000 mi. or every 6 months.
It doesn't matter if I use conventional or synthetic oil.
Sure I might not have too, but it is cheep insurance that every thing is perfect (oil wise) and it makes me feel better!

This is a crazy topic to debate because it really doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 3/9/14, 05:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I do all of my cars every 5,000 mi. or every 6 months.
It doesn't matter if I use conventional or synthetic oil.
Sure I might not have too, but it is cheep insurance that every thing is perfect (oil wise) and it makes me feel better!

This is a crazy topic to debate because it really doesn't matter what everyone else is doing, do what you feel comfortable with.
You go brother. You feel better at 5,000 mile oil change intervals and that's awesome bro. Its all about what you want because its your ride, money and time. I say change the oil every 1,000 miles if it makes someone happy and sleep better.

Quick Reply: first oil change 2014 gt