Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

First Ever Test Drive of 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/13, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I don't think that gears are really necessary. 3.15 may seem tall, but as others have mentioned, together with the transmission's steep gear ratios, the low gears are equal to something 4.10ish.
As a matter of fact, I think that first gear runs out pretty quickly and wouldn't want it to run out even earlier.

It really is a thing of getting the engine to make more torque at low rpm's, and a tune takes care of that. That and getting rid of throttle lag.
Old 2/22/13, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
It really just showed me that with the incorrect gear ratio for the vehicle, how the manufacture sets the throttle response and shift points really makes a huge difference on the driving experience even with a 400 plus HP car.

Certainly the 5.0 has a huge amount of potential for power gains given the coyote engine. You really understood what I was trying to convey in my impression of my test drive. In base raw form the 5.0 really lacked that wow, omg factor for me that I really was expecting from this 420 HP monster machine. Had I gotten the base 5.0 model I would of been feeling very empty and not happy with a 7.5k more purchase than my sixer. One would need around $2,500 additional dollars to spend on aftermarket mods to make that 5.0 awesome like I was thinking it was going to be. At minimum a performance tuner, lower gears, CAI, exhaust system, headers and off road x pipe would have to go on if I was ever in the future thinking of buying a 5.0.

When a buddy of mine took me out in there 400 HP, twin turbo, AWD, 911 Porsche now that was scarey. Now that's what the omg, crap my pants feeling I was looking for with the 5.0 test drive.
You are just trying to justify your purchase of a V6 car by running down the 5.0. Your comment comparing a 5.0 to a 911 shows that you really don't have a clue. It's called horsepower to weight ratio.

Last edited by TheReaper; 2/22/13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 2/22/13, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper

You are just trying to justify your purchase of a V6 car by running down the 5.0.
Zinnnnng
Old 2/22/13, 01:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LLZuB
Im surprised no one has mentioned that you really feel the power of the 5.0 in the upper revs....it's not like the old V8's...you have to rev this one to feel how fast it really is. 420 HP @ 6500 rpm's and 390lbs @ 4250....rev it all the way up and you'll think differant.
Right. OHC's take some rpm's to reach the power band. Starting off from idle in traffic is not the best comparo.

It's also how they gear the trans to match the rear end ratio. For my brand x winter car I compared a stick with the auto. The auto is way peppier off the line and in traffic though the engines were the same. It's how they geared the auto. I went with the auto as it suits my needs for the winter, and is really fun to drive around town.

So perhaps the 6 is geared different to compensate for the lower hp & torque. It may feel slightly quicker off the line and at lower rpm's, but that's where it ends. Plus your tune changes throttle lag compared to factory settings.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/22/13 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2/22/13, 01:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mikeship911

What's that price on the Porsche?
He bought it used for around 29k. Point being my buddies Porsche is a 400 HP car and I was expecting something similar or close to that feeling from the 5.0. There just was no wow factor in that particular 5.0 with the 3:15 gearing. I was expecting more from the car I test drove.
Old 2/22/13, 01:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You are just trying to justify your purchase of a V6 car by running down the 5.0. Your comment comparing a 5.0 to a 911 shows that you really don't have a clue. It's called horsepower to weight ratio.
I'm not trying to justify my purchase at all. This thread was never to justify any purchase of anybody. This thread was to give my impression on my first test drive in a 5.0 Mustang. The only comparison that I am giving about the Porsche is the impression that I got when my friend took me for a ride, there was that wow factor when he floored it. I am NOT downing the 5.0 Mustang or any Mustangs for that matter. I am just expressing a point of view of a test drive that I had.

Clearly I have not test driven every 5.0 with all the different options including manual and different gears. I am only expressing what I test drove and what my perception of it was compared to what I own now.
Old 2/22/13, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

He bought it used for around 29k. Point being my buddies Porsche is a 400 HP car and I was expecting something similar or close to that feeling from the 5.0. There just was no wow factor in that particular 5.0 with the 3:15 gearing. I was expecting more from the car I test drove.
It's apples to oranges man, that Porsche is 200lbs lighter, awd, and its makes max torque around 1900 rpms. It's gonna hit you like a sledgehammer.
Old 2/22/13, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

I've owned a 5.0 with 3:15 gearing for 2 years and the wow factor is definitely still there. My previous car was a bolt on and tuned 2007 GT.
Old 2/22/13, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Well, respectfully, the 11 plus v6's with a 87 performance tune will run 13.7 in the 1/4 mile. A factory, non modded 11 plus V6 with 3:31 gears can run 5.1 0-60 on factory issued tires and that's with not one single mod. 3k can get you a whole bunch of mods. Performance tuner, Cai, Exhaust system, 3:73 gears, one piece aluminum driveshaft, headers and off road X pipe. All bolt on mods that will run around 3k. You take those mods and run against a factory, non mod 5.0 with 3:15 gears and that V6 may just take the win. I'm not saying a big margin win but I think that sixer gets the win and for 4k less.

Again I'm not saying the 5.0 is not a great car just really didn't grab me by the ***** the way I thought it would. It left me rock hard and no happy ending when the ride was over. It was like being back at my prom with my date. She said, is that it, is that all you got.
you have to be joking if you think the 5.0 needs all that. your car must feel its tied to a stump. as for the the porsche i have driven a 997 turbo quite a lot and yes its faster but it feels much faster than it really is because of the way the torque is delivered. your friend im guessing has a 996 turbo and it not that much faster than a 5.0 and with the mods your talking about the 5.0 needing would be faster. im happy you like the v6 but i starting to think you dont no what you are talking about.
Old 2/22/13, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've owned a 5.0 with 3:15 gearing for 2 years and the wow factor is definitely still there. My previous car was a bolt on and tuned 2007 GT.
I can certainly respect that opinion of your 5.0 with 3:15 gears. If your happy with your set up, then that's all that matters. I personally didn't care for the set up on the one 5.0 I tested. Perhaps I needed a manual and tent would be all the difference. I can only speak of my experience on what I test drove. My experience may be completely different than someone else's experience with the same exact car and set up. It wasn't about why the V6 mustang is a better choice for the world.
Old 2/22/13, 03:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by blackbullitt

you have to be joking if you think the 5.0 needs all that. your car must feel its tied to a stump. as for the the porsche i have driven a 997 turbo quite a lot and yes its faster but it feels much faster than it really is because of the way the torque is delivered. your friend im guessing has a 996 turbo and it not that much faster than a 5.0 and with the mods your talking about the 5.0 needing would be faster. im happy you like the v6 but i starting to think you dont no what you are talking about.
It's a 911 twin turbo, AWD 400 HP Porsche. Maybe it just feels faster when in reality its not. But whatever that feeling was that's what I was hoping to experience the same or similar with the 5.0 . It's not a matter of me liking my v6 better. It was the 5.0 I test drove did not live up to what I thought it should be for 37k. I felt that my tuned v6 pulled almost as hard as the 5.0 tested with a much better throttle response to boot. For 37k and a 420 HP car I wanted to be scared $hitless and feel that I need to trade my v6 right now and can't live without a 5.0. That model left me feeling like a night at the stripe bar. Fun, but is that it and I was expecting more.
Old 2/22/13, 04:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
You can get "approximately" 115 more horses for roughly 8 grand more. (Who cares about the interest during the term of the loan, its a V8!) "caveman growl"

As an added bonus Ford will even throw in boring rims, quiet exhaust, plastic steering wheel, and cloth seats.

This thread went nowhere real fast

Last edited by Getportfolio; 2/22/13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 2/22/13, 04:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
This thread proves that everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is, as long as I agree with it. I found the write up interesting.
Old 2/22/13, 04:43 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by steven46746
It's apples to oranges man, that Porsche is 200lbs lighter, awd, and its makes max torque around 1900 rpms. It's gonna hit you like a sledgehammer.
Right. Maybe OP should put his tune back to stock and drive around for a week, then try another test drive on the 5.0. Because a tune eliminating throttle lag and changing the torque curve for the 6 banger sets up an apples to oranges comparison to the factory settings of the 5.0 - esp when compared off the line and at low rpm range. Hell the 5.0 isn't even breathing yet - esp with the tune and the TiVCT set to factory specs to pass emissions and so forth - settings that no doubt where modified in the tune for the 6 pot.
Old 2/22/13, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Right. Maybe OP should put his tune back to stock and drive around for a week, then try another test drive on the 5.0. Because a tune eliminating throttle lag and changing the torque curve for the 6 banger sets up an apples to oranges comparison to the factory settings of the 5.0 - esp when compared off the line and at low rpm range. Hell the 5.0 isn't even breathing yet - esp with the tune and the TiVCT set to factory specs to pass emissions and so forth - settings that no doubt where modified in the tune for the 6 pot.
I definitely would not want to set back the car to factory stock settings. That performance tuner really makes a huge difference on how the car performs. I actually forgot how bad the delay was until you drive it with the factory settings. It is very noticeable on the delayed throttle response along with how the car shifts without it tuned. The leather seats were freaking awesome and wished I had them instead of the cloth seats. After having my car tuned I could never not have another mustang that was not tuned. I really wish I could test drive or ride in a tuned 5.0 with 3:73 gears.
Old 2/22/13, 05:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Get you some take off leather seat covers! They are inexpensive and well worth it. Cloth seats suck more than an untuned car. Lol
Old 2/22/13, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
You can get "approximately" 115 more horses for roughly 8 grand more. (Who cares about the interest during the term of the loan, its a V8!) "caveman growl"

As an added bonus Ford will even throw in boring rims, quiet exhaust, plastic steering wheel, and cloth seats.

This thread went nowhere real fast
Get the Premium......................
Old 2/22/13, 05:33 PM
V6 Member

2011 Kona Blue = the nicest person ever!!! For people who love mustangs we can eat our own in a moments notice. This dude should negotiate between the Israelies and "Palestinians".

And oh yeah. My '06 GT would throw you back in the seat when it was stock. (3.55 5 spd. Even more now.
Old 2/22/13, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Get you some take off leather seat covers! They are inexpensive and well worth it. Cloth seats suck more than an untuned car. Lol
After sitting in those leather seats I can now see how crapy my cloth seats really are.
Old 2/22/13, 05:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mikeship911
2011 Kona Blue = the nicest person ever!!! For people who love mustangs we can eat our own in a moments notice. This dude should negotiate between the Israelies and "Palestinians".

And oh yeah. My '06 GT would throw you back in the seat when it was stock. (3.55 5 spd. Even more now.
Maybe the issue was the automatic in the car. Would of the sport mode, shifting the gears myself made a difference. I didn't test drive a manual.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/22/13 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: First Ever Test Drive of 5.0