2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

First 2009 Mustang Spy Shots!

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/07, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
Everyone go home, Peter has spoken and all is well.
I guess they don't listen to you either.

Haha
Old 1/28/07, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a reliable source also- one who is on Team Mustang development team at Ford and has regular access to the styling design team.

She told me she asked a styling designer at Ford what he thought of the Giugiario ( sp? ) Mustang, he cringed and said it was crap. Especially because it was Giugiario who was inspired by the Ford designer's 2010 design, not the other way around!!

He said he head of Ford design Jay Mays asked Giugiaro to do it because Giugiaro did a re-body custom of the original Mustang back in 1965. The story checks out:

Apparently Giorgetto, the father, did the car above in 1965 when working in Italy. The Ford guy said the father did many good cars in the past but it was his son Fabrizo who did the new one shown at Detroit motor show.

Something else interesting: She said the styling design for the 2010 Mustang was chosen in late 2005, and they've been doing the engineering development work to make it look the way the designers wanted. And even if her supplier couldn't do it the way the designers wanted, they wouldn't change the look, so she had to go back and fight in meetings, and the "looks" won most of the time. She said it usually takes about a year and half for the development work and another two years for prototypes and testing. She said they had to keep all the mechanical stuff underneath, so the car is designed "around" the current one.

So I guess the Giugiaro Mustang is Ford's way of showing us the "concept" version of the 2010, but hiding it because someone else did it. It certainly keeps us all guessing.

But I wouldn't put too much faith the Giugiaro Mustang, since the 1965 one didn't look like the 1967 re-style, I wouldn't expect the 2010 would look like the 2007 Giugiaro version.

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby

What he said was that the '08s had a minor front end sheetmetal change - again, very minor - and that the 2010 looked quite similar to the S197 but with front and rear treatments inspired by the Guigario. He didn't mention hips, and I don't know why.

But I nevertheless consider him a reliable source...with good vision.
Old 1/28/07, 08:52 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That would pretty much tell us what I've thought for a while,
and just like the 05...

The production car design was locked in prior to any concept car design

and...

That Guigiaro probably saw the production car, and made a concept based on the design cues
Old 1/28/07, 09:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

All good news to me!
Old 1/29/07, 02:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It wouldn't suprise me if the styling of the '10 was the inspiration of the concept car. Ford's done that many times in the past.

And if that IS the case, then perhaps this still (taken from one of the promo videos of the concept car) is close to the '10 rear end. I hope so, 'cos I think it's perfect.

Old 1/29/07, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
It wouldn't suprise me if the styling of the '10 was the inspiration of the concept car. Ford's done that many times in the past.

And if that IS the case, then perhaps this still (taken from one of the promo videos of the concept car) is close to the '10 rear end. I hope so, 'cos I think it's perfect.

I agree, this looks fantastic!
Old 1/29/07, 09:03 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjbarnet
I agree, this looks fantastic!
+ 2.

I'd sell my soul for THAT car if it made production!

Old 1/30/07, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

I would love it, if that IS the car, but the whole roofline is changed. I thought the '10 was a facelift not a model change. It is hard to amaturize the tooling to produce a new model in only 5 years.
Old 1/30/07, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

The 09/10 isn't a model change. What I've been told, the roofline remains the same. Its a facelift - front & rear, with a slight hip or change by the door and above the rear wheel. The dash is different. I don't know about the rest of the interior.
Old 1/30/07, 01:46 PM
I Have No Life

From someone in the focus group...stated the interior was new as well...

And that every panel other than the greenhouse was changed....
Meaning new hood, front, sides, rear...

If what was said... it was suppose to be a small refresh, but Mark fields sent it back saying it needed more change...hence why its pushed back a year.

I think that conceptual drawing is really cool the way the slope off the rear glass connects into the trunk. That's something really cool
Old 1/30/07, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Boomer, I agree. The way the roofline slopes all the way back and the way that drawing incorporates the rear glass is stunning. I think it would really make the mustang look long without actually lengthening the body. The back end also does not look as huge as the present model does. I particularly like the removal of the hockey stick sconce and the return of the full C sconce!
Maybe this will be incorporated into the 2012 model change. It would definitely be sweet!
Old 1/30/07, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

If all the posts from the last few weeks are correct,......we are getting a new hood and front in 2008, all new skins in 2010, and a whole new design 2012?
Seems unlikely to me, but maybe I'm missing or misreading something.
Old 1/30/07, 04:22 PM
I Have No Life

I don't think that 2009, 2012 motor trend timeline is right at all...period.

I think we'll get little..if ANYTHING till 2010 where it will be new exterior/interior.

Again, people are confusing tweak, reskin/redesign/new platform.

We are getting a possible tweak in 08 (i'll believe it when I see it, whether its all new or just more use of the GT/CS parts)

Reskin/redesign often get confused.
However you take it...2010 seems to be a reskin/redesign in that we get a new exterior and interior (much like the 98-99 exterior change... interiors were still meh..the same)
Same platform, a lot of the same parts underneath with updates... new look.

If anything in 2012 we'll get minor changes to the look... as per Mulally's new 'every 2 - 3 year bumper changes'

I cannot see the Mustang getting 'redesigned' anytime soon on a new platform/underpinning. The D2C chassis will be 5 years old at that point, and is miles ahead of its old 25 year fairmont underpinnings.
Unless for whatever unknown reason... a newer more cost effective chassis is in the works
Old 1/30/07, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Same platform, a lot of the same parts underneath with updates... new look.

I cannot see the Mustang getting 'redesigned' anytime soon on a new platform/underpinning. The D2C chassis will be 5 years old at that point, and is miles ahead of its old 25 year fairmont underpinnings.
Unless for whatever unknown reason... a newer more cost effective chassis is in the works
I totaly agree. They will get all they can out of that platform including other cars as we saw with the Interceptor

The next few years will be interesting
Old 1/30/07, 08:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Going Global...

Attached Thumbnails First 2009 Mustang Spy Shots!-mustang.jpg  
Old 1/31/07, 06:41 AM
Cobra Member

How many times do we have to go over this? Any changes on the 08 (if any) will be minimal.
The reports coming out of that Ford Employee Show up in Detroit are true. The 09/10 Mustang will have a different front end, the rear end is slightly changed(Tail lights). The side is changed. The lines are tweaked, almost giving it a "hip" appearance. I am not sure "hip" is even the proper word to use.
The dash is changed. How it was described to me, makes me think it more resembles the dashes of the late 60's -early 70's.

Sean a.k.a. Topnotch had an attachment of a drawing that was in the ball park.

It won't be too long before more spy photos are available. Ford has done a good job hiding it up to this point.
Old 1/31/07, 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

next gen body style..

the changes will probably look nice...but man....so far i cant imagine how they are going to drastically improve the body lines of current s197!
Old 1/31/07, 07:04 AM
Cobra Member

IMO, since 1982, Ford has always done a good job of tweaking the design of the Mustang. Will that trend continue? We will have to wait and see.

My Buddy who saw the 09/10 Mustang said that he likes the current body style better. But, if you are a fan of a more aggressive look, you'll like the new car.

I can hardly wait, because I really love the current design.
Old 1/31/07, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Exterior changes, or a lack thereof, don't really concern me. Ford largely got the car right the first time and not much is needed. There are some areas on the Mustang which could be improved, but they are minor and a light update could easily take care of all of these. And it appears as though these are the areas being addressed.

I am far more interested in potential mechanical upgrades within the next 3-4 years. The possible arrival of the Boss V-8, suspension tweaks, transmission and brake upgrades, etc...all interest me far more than wether the tail-lights will be made narrower next go-round.

I think the current Mustang is like the older Ferrari 348 and Porsche 928S in this respect. These were good cars that became fabulous in their trantion to the 355 and S4 respectively with what could arguably be called minor changes. The basics are all there to make a flat out world beater here as well. That is what I want to see.
Old 1/31/07, 10:57 AM
V6 Member

the front of the concept car doesnt remind me of a muscle car , it looks too european , not that there is something wrong with european cars , i think ford needs to remmeber that the mustang is a muscle car , i would hope ford will give several v 8 options for the new one in 2010 ( 302 , 351 , 390 , maybe even the mighty 429 and 427 )

Quick Reply: First 2009 Mustang Spy Shots!