Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

FINALLY test drove a 2011 GT!

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/11, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FINALLY test drove a 2011 GT!

And all I can say is WOW! I went to the local Chevy dealership, and test drove an 2011 Camaro SS right before I went to Ford.

The Camaro was a 1SS with the hurst 6spd in it. Drove okay, but you cant see a **** thing out of it. Additionally, I did not like the shifter. Very notchy, and just an overall mediocre driving experience.

The Mustang was a base GT auto. They only had 4 stangs on the lot. 2 mt v6's, an auto v6, and an auto GT.

I really loved the car. So easy to see out of, and feels exponentially smaller then my current 03 bonneville. Very easy to see this as my daily driver. And the sweet sound of the 5.0 was enough to push me into making my decision. I was unimpressed with the auto. It seemed to hunt for gears too much. Not a problem since I'll be ordering a MT anyways.

I will be ordering a 2012 within the next week or two. The dealer is giving me x-plan pricing without having to join MCA, which saves me 50 bucks.

2012 Premium GT 6spd
Performance White w/ black stripes
HID
Brembo
Security
Ebony Interior
Comfort
Electronics
Pedestal Spoiler

I can't wait to order this thing! It's gonna kill me to have to wait until it gets built!
Old 1/26/11, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

The wait will be worth it!
Old 1/26/11, 08:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations. I've driven several 2011 Mustangs, all GT's including a Roush stage 2, BBP car, and an auto. The Roush had the best ride, firm yet compliant, and the BBP car was similar but a bit harsher. I've also driven a Camaro SS and Challenger SRT 8. I liked both and surprisingly liked the Challenger better than the Camaro. I did not like the dash or the view out in the Camaro although it rode nice and was fast. Much to my surprise I think the fit and finish along with the looks made the Challenger come very close to the Mustang 5.0 but I was always going to buy a Mustang. Of course I think the looks of the Boss 302 tops them all and that's what I ordered.
Old 1/26/11, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Get the reverse camera too. It's only like $300 if you sweet talk the dealer and I hear it's cool as hell.
Old 1/26/11, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Congratulations. I've driven several 2011 Mustangs, all GT's including a Roush stage 2, BBP car, and an auto. The Roush had the best ride, firm yet compliant, and the BBP car was similar but a bit harsher. I've also driven a Camaro SS and Challenger SRT 8. I liked both and surprisingly liked the Challenger better than the Camaro. I did not like the dash or the view out in the Camaro although it rode nice and was fast. Much to my surprise I think the fit and finish along with the looks made the Challenger come very close to the Mustang 5.0 but I was always going to buy a Mustang. Of course I think the looks of the Boss 302 tops them all and that's what I ordered.
I came REALLY REALLY close to buying an SRT challenger but man alive the weight and terrible handling just... yuck.. it ruined the experience for me. It felt like a C300 with a body kit.

Now, I do think that the challenger is hands down the best looking car on the road that is built on american soil but from a pure driver's perspective, it's too much of a boat and didn't have NEAR the precision and poise that the mustang had.

If I were getting a car do to long cruises in though, I think that the challenger would be a cool ride though.
Old 1/26/11, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

FYI: I was reading Sam Strano's "Shocks" thread, and he mentioned he likes the 3:55's better than the 3:73. Just a thought.

Ummm... FastRed- the Challenger is built on *Canadian* soil.
Old 1/26/11, 09:00 PM

IMO Chrysler did a great job with the Challenger. It's an awesome cruiser but I want a sports car. Reminds me of the 1969 Chevelle SS my dad had. The sports seats in the Challenger I drove were really nice. But it's no match for a 2011+ 5.0.
Old 1/26/11, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ronin38
FYI: I was reading Sam Strano's "Shocks" thread, and he mentioned he likes the 3:55's better than the 3:73. Just a thought.
If I was going to order a GT I might opt for the 3:55's as well. Got the link to that thread?
Old 1/26/11, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

If I was going to buy the car all over again I probably would have opted for 3.55s as well. In stock form the car doesn't have enough tire for a 3.73, IMO.
Old 1/26/11, 09:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
Get the reverse camera too. It's only like $300 if you sweet talk the dealer and I hear it's cool as hell.
I want the pedestal spoiler, which eliminates the reverse camera from the running. I am debating on the new backup sensing system on the 2012's. Its $700 though.

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
If I was going to buy the car all over again I probably would have opted for 3.55s as well. In stock form the car doesn't have enough tire for a 3.73, IMO.
From what I've gathered, the 3.73's will be the best for me. They're the same price as well, and with the Brembo tires, it should be a bit better.
Old 1/26/11, 09:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
From what I've gathered, the 3.73's will be the best for me. They're the same price as well, and with the Brembo tires, it should be a bit better.
Just making sure you thought about it. I know it's very difficult to find traction in 1st and 2nd with the 3.73s in stock configuration, and hitting the limiter in 4th gear at the trap on the 1/4 is kind of annoying.
Old 1/26/11, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

Just making sure you thought about it. I know it's very difficult to find traction in 1st and 2nd with the 3.73s in stock configuration, and hitting the limiter in 4th gear at the trap on the 1/4 is kind of annoying.
I defiantly appreciate you playing the devil's advocate. In a perfect world, I'd be able to drive them both back to back, but clearly the stock of mustangs is so low, that isn't an option.

I'm so excited for this car though. I graduate from Purdue in May, so this is my first car that will actually be mine, and I'm getting it just the way I want it. I don't want to compromise on anything to save a little bit off my monthly, and then regret it down the road.
Old 1/26/11, 10:02 PM
Cobra Member

I defiantly appreciate you playing the devil's advocate. In a perfect world, I'd be able to drive them both back to back, but clearly the stock of mustangs is so low, that isn't an option.

I'm so excited for this car though. I graduate from Purdue in May, so this is my first car that will actually be mine, and I'm getting it just the way I want it. I don't want to compromise on anything to save a little bit off my monthly, and then regret it down the road.
That's awesome. Congrats on your upcoming graduation! Compromise on a big purchase like this sucks because you WILL regret it if you chose to leave something out in the name of savings.
Old 1/26/11, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

That's awesome. Congrats on your upcoming graduation! Compromise on a big purchase like this sucks because you WILL regret it if you chose to leave something out in the name of savings.
Thanks man! It's been a tough 4 years, but stuff like shopping for a pony car makes it all worth while!
Old 1/26/11, 10:17 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks man! It's been a tough 4 years, but stuff like shopping for a pony car makes it all worth while!
I hear ya. When I graduated and got my first job I decided to go and buy a loaded 370Z as a treat to myself. That first "big" car purchase is always a great feeling.
Old 1/26/11, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

When I graduated from UC Irvine, I was driving an '85 Mercury Cougar (In 2001). After the head gasket went on that, I got the Toyota Celica that eventually caught on fire (fuel line burst) . Now I am married with soon to be 2 kids, I am finally getting my first new car, a 2012 GT. It is going to be great. If I could have had one just out of college, that would have been great, but better now than never.
Old 1/27/11, 03:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Beware of the dealer saying they are giving you X-Plan pricing without a real X-Plan PIN . . . they might be matching the "price" but the extra fees they can charge might be a lot more than that $50 your are supposedly saving . . . X-Plan also limits the fees that the dealer can charge, I think it is $75 under X-Pla, where some dealers charge $500 for "documentation fees" if left to their own devices.
Old 1/27/11, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
If I was going to order a GT I might opt for the 3:55's as well. Got the link to that thread?
Here ya go: https://themustangsource.com/f800/wh...matter-486829/

There's some comments kind of mixed in there. Post #76 has one reference to it.
Old 1/27/11, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Beware of the dealer saying they are giving you X-Plan pricing without a real X-Plan PIN . . . they might be matching the "price" but the extra fees they can charge might be a lot more than that $50 your are supposedly saving . . . X-Plan also limits the fees that the dealer can charge, I think it is $75 under X-Pla, where some dealers charge $500 for "documentation fees" if left to their own devices.
Thanks for the heads up. I will defiantly be looking into that when the final deal is worked out. I'll make sure to look into the x-plan fee limitations before I go in.
Old 1/27/11, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove a pair of GT's back to back with the 355's and 373's and slightly preferred the 373's though the difference in acceleration is marginal at best. I didn't mess with traction control (left it on) so I didn't experience full wheel spin on either car.

Ummm... FastRed- the Challenger is built on *Canadian* soil.
Eh, close enough

Quick Reply: FINALLY test drove a 2011 GT!