2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Finally drove my `11 GT last night..

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/10, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the delivery! About time you got it, too!
Old 5/26/10, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Try this:
1. Lock car with key fob
2. Start engine with remote start
3. Unlock car with key fob
4. Open door - does the engine still shut off?
That's definitely what I want to try, but I won't see the car again until Saturday morning. Was a little too excited with other things.

I'll post up an answer as soon as I get one.
Old 5/26/10, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kierankelly
Forgot to mention one thing.

The remote start is kind of bull****. You can start the car with it, but once you open the doors, the engine shuts off. Then you have to turn the key to start it again.

I thought I'd just be able to get in the car and put the key in the ignition and I'd be good to go. Oh well.
Mayhaps the dealer accidentally hit the remote start button on the keyfob, thinking he was unlocking the doors and shut it off....?
Old 5/26/10, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Qrazy
Mayhaps the dealer accidentally hit the remote start button on the keyfob, thinking he was unlocking the doors and shut it off....?
I don't think so. As soon as he opened the door, the engine shut off. It was crazy.

Really hoping I was just imagining things or the dealer was doing something he didn't realize.

It's not a big deal to have to start the car again, but not what I was imagining.
Old 5/26/10, 09:55 AM

19 miles on a car you order thats not right...hope the dealer was not beating on it
Old 5/26/10, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Travis64
19 miles on a car you order thats not right...hope the dealer was not beating on it
19 isn't too bad. 50 is where I'd start getting upset.
Old 5/26/10, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's encouraging that you got your car, kierankelly. I also ordered a GT in January and my build date is two days later than yours. Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 5/26/10, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Travis64
Pretty sure mine was part of the hold that kept cars at AAI for so long, so I'm assuming that the car was tested a bit extra before being shipped.

I know the dealer didn't drive it at all. I went up there right after he said the truck was there and everything was still in place (plastics, cardboard, etc)

He put the car in the back lot so no one will test drive it between the time it gets detailed and cleaned and the time that I pick it up.
Old 5/26/10, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
It's encouraging that you got your car, kierankelly. I also ordered a GT in January and my build date is two days later than yours. Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
For your sake, I hope so. Seems like they're finally getting to the cars that have been sitting for a while.
Old 5/26/10, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Congrats!

Look forward to seeing pics of your Stang in white (my second color choice) this weekend.
Old 5/26/10, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF you would have read the post, you would have seen that I don't have the pictures yet. I'll update when I get them.
You misunderstand. We all read the post, it's just kind of an unofficial rule here at TMS that if you have a "I got a new car" thread with no pictures, you get that response. Doesn't matter if you say you'll post them later or not. We've all been doing that for years around here, think of it as an initiation. Welcome to the club!

Oh by the way...
Old 5/26/10, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, yeah...I know. I haven't been posting much here, but I've been reading for a bit.

I'll definitely get the pictures up as soon as I can. The GF has the camera and hasn't emailed them to me yet. I knew I should have taken pics on my phone.
Old 5/26/10, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I was confused as well. The dealer started the car with the remote start and then he opened the door and it shut off. I don't know if he was doing something wrong or not, but that's what happened.

I was too excited about the rest of the car to further investigate, but I will definitely do that when I pick up the car on Saturday.

I fully expected to be able to just get in and drive off, but apparently I'll have to re-start my car before driving
My remote start works the same way. Dealer says its the way it works on the 2011. It is odd that it shuts off as soon as the door is opened. I even read the manual, says it should stay running - maybe new to the 2011?
Old 5/26/10, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Try this:
1. Lock car with key fob
2. Start engine with remote start
3. Unlock car with key fob
4. Open door - does the engine still shut off?
Mine does the same thing, already tried your suggestion, still shuts off as soon as the door is opened.
Old 5/26/10, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

My dealer said it was a new "feature" on the 2011s. I'm not happy about it at all, but I can live with it. Just doesn't make sense to start the engine twice.

Glad to see I wasn't imagining things yesterday.
Old 5/26/10, 03:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

My new F150 does same thing where it shuts off when you open door. I haven't messed with it yet too see if there is something I'm doing wrong, as I will only use it in the winter.
Old 5/26/10, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Starting to look like it's a "feature" of the 2011 model year
Old 5/26/10, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was confused as well. The dealer started the car with the remote start and then he opened the door and it shut off. I don't know if he was doing something wrong or not, but that's what happened.

I was too excited about the rest of the car to further investigate, but I will definitely do that when I pick up the car on Saturday.

I fully expected to be able to just get in and drive off, but apparently I'll have to re-start my car before driving

i used to install aftermarket remote starts..

try pulling the emergency brake up.. some remote starts require a "safety".. esp if its a stick..

here is one vendors.. remote start proceedure "IF" it was on a stick..

engage brake. ( emergency, or safety )
press button activate remote (while car already running)
take keys out of ignition.. get out of car ( should still be running )
close door..

shut off car through remote..

that ensures the car is saftly running after you got out of it.. telling the "brain" its safe to start..

now.. if u opened the door.. prior to remote starting the car.. without doing the sequence again.. the car will not start..
Old 5/26/10, 03:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by monkeystash
It's probably to prevent theft. It makes sense if you look at it that way.
Originally Posted by silverbull271
still a good option to heat up the engine---
. I think the whole idea of it is to be able to warm up your car while getting that last cup of coffee, and preventing some one to just break in and your baby is gone bye-bye with out them having a key or anything. This way if some body does see your car running and tries to steal it, as soon as they open the door, no engine.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 5/26/10, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by IT_Guru
Mine does the same thing, already tried your suggestion, still shuts off as soon as the door is opened.
I had the same problem on mine. After doing a little research, I found out it's because of the MYKEY feature. It's an extra "safety feature". The reason it shuts off is because the remote starter is not tied to the MYKEY. So an example would be, you give your kid or someone a MYKEY(meaning you have set the speed limit, radio volume, etc.) if they were to use the remote start to start the car, they could just get in and put the key in and the system never checks to see if a MYKEY is being used. The car shuts off so that it can verify what key is being used to start it. Hope that makes since.

I talked to my dealer and they were clueless of course. They sent me to a local tint and alarm place who programs the cars for their dealership. The install guy knew exactly what I was talking about and reprogrammed it in 5 min and charged me $10, which was well worth it to me. It's just a matter of a few button presses on the remote start key fob, the remote start override button which is located on the driver side under the dash against the door panel(you don't have to remove any screws or panels, it's in the open), and a few brake presses. You can also change the length of time between 10 and 15 min intervals that the car will stay started before you get in it, and also turn off the horn chirps. From what I have read some dealers will do it if they know about it, but they are discouraged to from Ford because of the liability issues.

These are the directions that I found on another site if you want to do it yourself. I was going to do mine myself if I wasn't able to get it done at the dealership/tint shop.

Programming the Module

1: NOTE: If the remote start options (Key-in sense polarity, door ajar polarity, or tach mode) are not programmed correctly, vehicle will not remote start or operate properly.
NOTE: Make sure that the hood and doors are closed before proceeding.
NOTE: The LED on the remote start harness must be visible to complete module programming.
NOTE: The remote start override button must be accessible.

2: See chart below for programming information.

Program Bank 2 Chart (5 Honks)
BANK - OPTIONS - DESCR - LED
2 - 7 - My Key - Off

3: Press and hold the brake pedal.

4: Turn the ignition key to the RUN position.
The dome light will turn off.

5: Press and hold the remote start system override button for at least 10 seconds.
After 10 seconds the horn will honk 3 times, indicating the system is now in the learn mode. Release the brake pedal and the RMST override button.

6: Press and release the override button. The horn will honk 4 times indicating the system has entered the first program bank.

7: Press and release the override button again. The horn will honk 5 times indicating the system has entered the second program bank.

8: Press and release the brake pedal.
The horn will honk 1 time indicating the system has entered the option 1 of the second program bank. Press and release the brake pedal until you get 7 honks this is option 7 of the second bank.

NOTICE: When turning LED on or off using remote start fob button quickly press and immediately release the remote start button.

Failure to quickly release the remote start fob button will result in system defaulting to the factory options.

9: The LED must be off for option 7. Allows vehicle to stay running---But it also circumvents MYKEY operation.

Last edited by twohitta; 5/26/10 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally drove my `11 GT last night..