Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Finally drove my `11 GT last night..

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/10, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally drove my `11 GT last night..

After 125 days, I finally got to see my new `stang. Ordered back in January. Build 4/13. Been sitting at AAI ever since. You could tell, this thing was dirty as hell. I got it in white, so there was all kinds of dirt and dust on it.

Dealer called me late yesterday and said the car was in. I went up there as soon as I got home from work.

I was so **** excited to finally see it that I walked right past it, until the dealer started with with the remote start. Thing sounds awesome.

Took it for a quick drive around the block and it felt great. All the plastic was still on everything and the tank was almost on E, so I didn't get to do much, but just to actually start it up and drive it finally felt awesome. Even on that short little drive around the block, more than a few people took 2nd glances and even asked about the car at red lights. This is going to be a conversation piece, I can see it already.

I got the appearance package that a lot of you won't like, but after seeing it in person, I'm glad I got it. Yeah, it's all plastic and non functional, but it looks cool, IMO. The hood scoop makes it hard as hell to see out the front. That'll take some getting used to after driving an SUV for the last 6 years. The pedestal spoiler also makes it a bit difficult on the rear view, but nothing too bad.

It's an auto, and I could only get it up to around 40 on the little streets around my dealer, but it still seemed very responsive and I can't wait to get it out on the highway this weekend. Can't pick it up until Saturday because I have things to do for work during the next three nights, so it's killing me knowing that the car will be sitting there just waiting for me.

It already has 19 miles on it, so I guess they did a little bit of extra test driving to make sure whatever needed to be fixed got fixed. Oh well. My 94 Explorer has 198,000 miles on it. I think I can handle a car with 19.

The gf took pictures, so I don't have them yet. Hopefully she'll send them to me during the day so I can update the thread. If not, i'll just update it with one giant picture thread over the weekend.

This place has been great to help pass the time since I ordered the car. First new car I've bought, so it's been a fun experience.
Old 5/26/10, 06:18 AM
Cobra Member

Congrats!!
Old 5/26/10, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 5/26/10, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

IF you would have read the post, you would have seen that I don't have the pictures yet. I'll update when I get them.
Old 5/26/10, 07:09 AM

Congrats! Looking forward to the pics.
Old 5/26/10, 07:18 AM
V6 Member

GREAT!!!
Mine was built a week after yours.
Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned on!
I also ordered the hood scoop and ped spoiler.
Again, Congrads!
Old 5/26/10, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats, glad to hear your wait is finally over too, can't wait to see pics.

Doug
Old 5/26/10, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldwing
GREAT!!!
Mine was built a week after yours.
Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned on!
I also ordered the hood scoop and pedo spoiler.
Again, Congrads!
Youre sick!!!!
Old 5/26/10, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Forgot to mention one thing.

The remote start is kind of bull****. You can start the car with it, but once you open the doors, the engine shuts off. Then you have to turn the key to start it again.

I thought I'd just be able to get in the car and put the key in the ignition and I'd be good to go. Oh well.
Old 5/26/10, 08:03 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kierankelly

The remote start is kind of bull****. You can start the car with it, but once you open the doors, the engine shuts off. Then you have to turn the key to start it again.

I thought I'd just be able to get in the car and put the key in the ignition and I'd be good to go. Oh well.
I ordered a 6 speed so I won't have to worry about that, but that is the craziest thing I ever heard of! Are all remote starts like that?
Old 5/26/10, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Usually with remote starts, you have to put your foot on the brake before turning the key to "On" then you can shift into Drive and be on your way. I don't know how the Ford one works, but that's how the aftermarket ones do. Ask your dealer. They will know. But I've done that before. When I used to work at a stereo shop, the boss would send me on errands in his Jeep. It has a Clifford alarm/remote start. You would press the remote start button, unlock the doors, get in, foot on brake then turn key. If you turned the key without pressing the brake it would shut off.
Old 5/26/10, 08:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kierankelly

This can't be right. Not saying you are wrong, I am just saying that if this is correct then Ford must be doing something wrong. I have installed Clifford/Viper in many cars and never had an issue like that. It's just weird that it would even happen. I can't really see any danger in keeping the car running while the door is open. Clifford/Most remote start systems have an ignition protection relay that won't let you grind the starter upon trying to start the car while it's already started. I'm sure everyone knows all of this but I am boggled by what you have said.
Old 5/26/10, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
If you turned the key without pressing the brake it would shut off.
The Clifford I used in my GMC was the opposite, foot on brake and no key in the ignition, the engine shut down, otherwise, key in ignition with acc on then foot on brake and you were good to go. This shut off when opening the door is just bizarre.
Old 5/26/10, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I was confused as well. The dealer started the car with the remote start and then he opened the door and it shut off. I don't know if he was doing something wrong or not, but that's what happened.

I was too excited about the rest of the car to further investigate, but I will definitely do that when I pick up the car on Saturday.

I fully expected to be able to just get in and drive off, but apparently I'll have to re-start my car before driving
Old 5/26/10, 08:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
The Clifford I used in my GMC was the opposite, foot on brake and no key in the ignition, the engine shut down, otherwise, key in ignition with acc on then foot on brake and you were good to go. This shut off when opening the door is just bizarre.
Haha crap. See even now I get it wrong. You're right. I didn't drive it that often and I would forget the sequence every time. Yes turn key, THEN foot on brake.

But I agree, opening the door should NOT shut the engine down. That's retarded.
Old 5/26/10, 08:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
Haha crap . See even now I get it wrong. You're right. I didn't drive it that often and I would forget the sequence every time. Yes turn key, THEN foot on brake.

Old 5/26/10, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Haha crap . See even now I get it wrong. You're right. I didn't drive it that often and I would forget the sequence every time. Yes turn key, THEN foot on brake.

Congrats!!! Re remote start, I've never heard of one working like that.
Old 5/26/10, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

It's probably to prevent theft. It makes sense if you look at it that way.
Old 5/26/10, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still a good option to heat up the engine---
Old 5/26/10, 09:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Try this:
1. Lock car with key fob
2. Start engine with remote start
3. Unlock car with key fob
4. Open door - does the engine still shut off?

Quick Reply: Finally drove my `11 GT last night..