Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A few minor "issues" with the 11' GT

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/10, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow A few minor "issues" with the 11' GT

Alright, it's time to do a small review on all the issues on the mustang so far (had the car for 2 weeks now).

1. I have the Brembo Package. When I drive over certain bumps or for example when the road is being paved and I drive through the rough patch with no asphalt, it feels as though I have a handful of quarters in my glove compartment and they all rattle. Just sometimes, this rattle occurs and I'm not sure if I'm missing some dampers/suspension or it's just normal.

2. I have the Shaker 1000. When I turn up the Bass on it, I can hear rattles coming from the rear. It seemed like it was the seats, the belts but I tracked it back to the trunk. The trunk itself was rattling (I have no spoiler). I put a small towel between the sub and the plastic near the tail light to see if the rattle would go away. For now, it seems to be fine.

3. I had a Mustang before, 2006, so I'm a bit familiar with the rear noise while driving with your radio off. However, in my GT now, I can hear this sort of whistling sound of the wheels when the car is moving, coming from the trunk area. It sounds like a machine spinning constantly at a high rate and it makes that whirling sound. During the night and during the day even, if the radio is off, you can hear it pretty noticeably. You can hear it A LOT when the rear seats are down. It sounds like a tank. A bit annoying but that's fine for now.

4. The transmission in this car just sucks. I had my tranny replaced first day I bought the car. New tranny, new clutch, new shifter. Why? Because my first gear kept popping back out and wouldn't stay in place. However, now that I drove it for 2 weeks, I can see that it's still crappy. It's not very smooth from 1st to 2nd. It seems like you have to put a bit of force to get it into 2nd and it goes smoothly from 2nd to 3rd. I guess Ford just don't know how to develop a good tranny that doesn't suck. This is especially when it gets cold outside.

5. The heated seats are pretty shoddy. They don't warm up the bottom well, the back is pretty decent. Nothing too special here.

6. I don't know if it's just me being paranoid and reading what others are experiencing with their cars, but sometimes I get the feeling that the car isn't as fast as other times. It feels like it accelerates differently at different times. It doesn't feel as fast going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, it feels just adequate. But sometimes, it freaking roars and takes off like a rocket. I have the 3.73 gears so I'm not sure if it's just in my head or not. I put 93 octane in it.

7. When the motor is idle and I go outside of the car, I can hear this sort of ticking/chirping sound of the motor/timing belt spinning. I know the sound of the engine but this is different. When I first bought it, you could notice it quite easily. Now, you can still hear it but it's not as loud. The car now has 1500 miles.

Not sure if I should take it to the dealer for any of these things since they might mess it up even more.

Otherwise, I love the **** car. I think it's just me being paranoid and picking a little too much on it but I wanted to see if others are in the same boat or not.
Old 10/5/10, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to the dealer... sounds like you got a problem child there.
I take my car to the dealer for EVERYTHING (luckily nothing major), get the most out of your warranty and your purchase.
Old 10/5/10, 06:45 PM
MOTM Committee Member

ALL of these topics have been discussed in detail. Do a quick search man and you'll get all the opinions/info you need. Some are real issues, others are just natural quirks of the car.
Old 10/5/10, 06:59 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Judging by your previous laments, and now this one, I don't think you would comment positively about any Ford - whether it was perfect or not. Just go get a government motors Camaro and be done with it.
Old 10/6/10, 04:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Judging by your previous laments, and now this one, I don't think you would comment positively about any Ford - whether it was perfect or not. Just go get a government motors Camaro and be done with it.
No, No, No... not the "C" word!
Old 10/6/10, 05:25 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yes the C word
Old 10/6/10, 06:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the "C" word will work here. OP, I think you might be good in a new or newer 3 series. Not bashing. Just the Mustang is still rough around the edges on purpose.
Old 10/6/10, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
ALL of these topics have been discussed in detail. Do a quick search man and you'll get all the opinions/info you need. Some are real issues, others are just natural quirks of the car.
It's not as easy as you say it is
Old 10/6/10, 06:58 AM
Banned

And which ones are real issues??
Old 10/6/10, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

#4 is most likely the skip shift. It seems to partially engage as you get close to the parameters that will make it engage. Get any tune that eliminates this feature and that will go away.
Old 10/6/10, 07:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Alright, it's time to do a small review on all the issues on the mustang so far (had the car for 2 weeks now).

1. I have the Brembo Package. When I drive over certain bumps or for example when the road is being paved and I drive through the rough patch with no asphalt, it feels as though I have a handful of quarters in my glove compartment and they all rattle. Just sometimes, this rattle occurs and I'm not sure if I'm missing some dampers/suspension or it's just normal.
Dunno, but it probably has something to do with 19" wheels, low-profile tires and a slightly stiffer suspension.

2. I have the Shaker 1000. When I turn up the Bass on it, I can hear rattles coming from the rear. It seemed like it was the seats, the belts but I tracked it back to the trunk. The trunk itself was rattling (I have no spoiler). I put a small towel between the sub and the plastic near the tail light to see if the rattle would go away. For now, it seems to be fine.
Every car I have ever been in does this. I usually turn the bass/volume down until it no longer rattles the trunk. Or the fillings in my teeth.

3. I had a Mustang before, 2006, so I'm a bit familiar with the rear noise while driving with your radio off. However, in my GT now, I can hear this sort of whistling sound of the wheels when the car is moving, coming from the trunk area. It sounds like a machine spinning constantly at a high rate and it makes that whirling sound. During the night and during the day even, if the radio is off, you can hear it pretty noticeably. You can hear it A LOT when the rear seats are down. It sounds like a tank. A bit annoying but that's fine for now.
It sounds like gear noise from the rear. You might want to take this to the dealer to have them check it out.

4. The transmission in this car just sucks. I had my tranny replaced first day I bought the car. New tranny, new clutch, new shifter. Why? Because my first gear kept popping back out and wouldn't stay in place. However, now that I drove it for 2 weeks, I can see that it's still crappy. It's not very smooth from 1st to 2nd. It seems like you have to put a bit of force to get it into 2nd and it goes smoothly from 2nd to 3rd. I guess Ford just don't know how to develop a good tranny that doesn't suck. This is especially when it gets cold outside.
I had a JK Wrangler that had a problem with shifting when it was really cold. My RX-8 also did not have a smooth 1-2 shift. An aftermarket shifter might help you with more positive shifts, although I don't know how it will handle when it's cold outside. Usually when the fluid warms up the car should shift normally.

7. When the motor is idle and I go outside of the car, I can hear this sort of ticking/chirping sound of the motor/timing belt spinning. I know the sound of the engine but this is different. When I first bought it, you could notice it quite easily. Now, you can still hear it but it's not as loud. The car now has 1500 miles.
Several people have complained of this. Apparently some of the engine parts are not seating properly after break-in. You should take it to the dealer to have it looked at.
Old 10/6/10, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

On 4 the roughness your experience may be the skip-shift. Right around the time that activates it'll go into 2nd but it'll seem very rough, I believe this is just the mechanics of the skip-shift getting in the way. If ever you get a tune, I'd suggest getting that turned off, see if it helps.

On 6, it probably depends on what revs you take off with. It doesn't have as much low end torque as other comparable cars, but it does like to rev, and it really shoots off at around 4500 RPM. This may be why you find it has nothing special sometimes and shoots off like a rocket at others. RPM has a big effect on this car.
Old 10/6/10, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancel
On 4 the roughness your experience may be the skip-shift. Right around the time that activates it'll go into 2nd but it'll seem very rough, I believe this is just the mechanics of the skip-shift getting in the way. If ever you get a tune, I'd suggest getting that turned off, see if it helps.

On 6, it probably depends on what revs you take off with. It doesn't have as much low end torque as other comparable cars, but it does like to rev, and it really shoots off at around 4500 RPM. This may be why you find it has nothing special sometimes and shoots off like a rocket at others. RPM has a big effect on this car.
Agreed on the skip shift. I only have 500 miles on mine and at first the skip shift engaged a lot, but it hasn't in over a week, so I guess I've figured out how to drive it right.
Old 10/6/10, 10:22 AM

I am sure you will get some tsb's on these in the future

Last edited by 5oh5tang; 1/19/11 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10/6/10, 10:22 AM
MOTM Committee Member

It's not as easy as you say it is
touche
And which ones are real issues??
#1,4, and 7 sound like the quirks

and #2, 5, and 3 could possibly be issues
Old 10/6/10, 11:27 AM

#4 - My old Muncie 4 speed with a Mr. Gasket shifter was smoother.

In the warm July weather the 6 speed was smooth when cold. Upon warm up shifting was OK, but crunchy/notchy at times. 2-3 most often and a rattle in the driveline when unloaded, even under minor loading. Sound was like cable rattling around in the back. Now that the mornings are 40 some degrees, very crunchy in all gears until warmed up, but not as smooth as the summer time.
Old 10/6/10, 11:42 AM
Banned

How are your heated seats guys? Does it feel just like meh, you notice it on but it's not THAT warm. Just lukewarm. The back is fine, I can feel it more than under my butt. I mean it's there, just not as strong as I thought it would be.
Old 10/6/10, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How are your heated seats guys? Does it feel just like meh, you notice it on but it's not THAT warm. Just lukewarm. The back is fine, I can feel it more than under my butt. I mean it's there, just not as strong as I thought it would be.
Sorry I live in Phoenix and the last thing I wanted was Heated seats...
Old 10/6/10, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure what to tell you all, my shifter is smooth as silk. I only note that it's a bit stiffer when it's bone cold from the night. Maybe I just don't know smooth transmissions though, I can't say I've had much experience. All I can say is that I love mine.

I really have none of these, except I did note that the seat warmers aren't terribly powerful. I mean I'm content enough with them, but my experience with other seat warmers tells me a lot of people could have problems with it. On is about the equivalent of low on most two-setting seat warmers.

The only other thing I can mention is that #7 sounds like something Ford saw, I think there might have been a TSB for it, something about a ticking from the timing chain. I don't recall what the issue/solution was though.
Old 10/6/10, 12:18 PM
Banned

To be quite honest, the only thing that is bothering me is the gear noise coming from the rear. I mean it's very noticeable when the radio is off. When I put the rear seats down, it whines a lot. I'm not sure why, maybe someone at Ford didn't install the 3.73's right?

As far as the timing belt ticking/clicking...I don't really mind, but as long as it's not a safety issue or something that will go bad down the road.

Those two are important to me now, so I don't know if I should take it in yet. Maybe even have them look at the shaker 1000 rattles, because what's the point of having a 1000 if you can't listen without all the chirping/rattling.

Originally Posted by Lancel
Not sure what to tell you all, my shifter is smooth as silk. I only note that it's a bit stiffer when it's bone cold from the night. Maybe I just don't know smooth transmissions though, I can't say I've had much experience. All I can say is that I love mine.

I really have none of these, except I did note that the seat warmers aren't terribly powerful. I mean I'm content enough with them, but my experience with other seat warmers tells me a lot of people could have problems with it. On is about the equivalent of low on most two-setting seat warmers.

The only other thing I can mention is that #7 sounds like something Ford saw, I think there might have been a TSB for it, something about a ticking from the timing chain. I don't recall what the issue/solution was though.

Quick Reply: A few minor "issues" with the 11' GT