The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   For the few that have got to drive a 2011 GT.... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/few-have-got-drive-2011-gt-482919/)

RedWings 5/10/10 01:47 PM

Maybe the antenna is required for the HD radio?

I know with my current G6, the radio reception is dog crap. I think my shark fin is just for the XM and the FM/AM antenna is in the rear window.

SpOnkey21 5/10/10 02:51 PM

2014 should be sick. Homelink, air conditioned seats, adjustable pedals and/or telescoping steering wheel, and driver memory buttons are my creature comforts of desire. Performance changes would be lighter weight, and maybe direct injection with a small power and MPG boost. The lighter weight would be more important than more engine, though. Since I am a poor Master's student I have to put my dreams off for 2014, though I WISH I could afford a 5.0 now, haha. gonna go test drive one soon I hope, and maybe rent a V6 for a day or two if I go on vacation this summer. Ford is really making great strides.

Overboost 5/10/10 03:10 PM

I just got back from driving a 2011 GT at Taylor Ford in Taylor, MI. It was a black GT Premium, 400A, 19" 5-spoke wheels, auto trans., comfort pkg, security pkg. Car looked great. Black with the 5-spoke wheels looks great IMO. The engine is gorgeous once you pop the hood. Much better looking than the 4.6 IMO. After some driving on city/highway, I'm even more in love with this car and I can't imagine how the 3.73 gear and Brembo's will feel on the car. Bottom line - it's fast, loud, and fun. Anyone, auto or stick, won't be disappointed with the car AT ALL.

RandyW 5/10/10 03:50 PM

The regular radio antenna looks fine to me. I think it's downright cute! I'd rather have a regular sized antenna that can pick up a decent signal than have a stubby one or one integrated into the windshield that has poorer reception. And if push button start were an option I wouldn't pay one dollar to get it.

I would guess that after a few runs up to redline no one is going to be thinking about the lack of integrated garage door openers. If you are, you've bought the wrong car.

Adam 5/10/10 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by RandyW (Post 5865799)
I would guess that after a few runs up to redline no one is going to be thinking about the lack of integrated garage door openers. If you are, you've bought the wrong car.

True, but at the same time, cars that cost half as much have some of these things we're discussing. My friend's Mazda 3 has all kinds of goodies not available on the Mustang and it's a much cheaper car. Anyway, I bet the 2014 MY is going to have a lot of the gizmos I'm looking for. Ford already has them designed and implemented in other models, it's just a matter of putting it in the 'stang.

Genot 5/10/10 06:24 PM

I've noticed many of the people who have driven the new 5.0s are fairly used to high horsepower, so I thought I'd write this from the perspective of someone who isn't. I've always driven manual rear wheel drive though, so that part of it isn't anything new to me. I had a 68 GT that I sold a decade ago, so its not my first rodeo, but its been a long time.

I just got back from a 5.0 test drive...WOW... I parked it about an hour and a half ago and I'm still pretty giddy (my current ride is a V6 F-150 so yes, the adrenaline is still coursing through my veins). Manual trans 3.73 no brembos on a slick road. First turn out of the dealership shifting into 2nd and I actually softly shouted "Oh my God". This thing REALLY pulls. Hit the area of 5,000 RPM and it really pushes you back. The feeling is out of this world. I'm speculating here, but I've been in some early 2000s Vettes that can't pull or "only" pull this hard (not a Vette guy, so I can't be more specific). The first road was limited at 40 mph and had some traffic so I didn't really stomp on it for an extended period, instead I downshifted to test it out in various gears and RPMs. Coming up to an interstate onramp I downshifted to 2nd and lightly hit the gas in the turn... oops... the rear end got away just a little :shame: which was absolutely my fault, but the car reigned in VERY nicely. On the interstate, 80 came and went without me noticing. This thing is just deceptavely fast. The shifts are short and pretty easy to find for being so short. No problems finding a gear. At lower RPMs and parking lot speeds it is extremely tame, quiet and the EPAS is amazing and absolutely exceded my expectations. At RPMs it has a viscious roar (I know most of us would like it louder). I didn't have a chance to really flog it due to the wet weather and my lack of any recent experience with something this powerful combined with my desire to continue living, but this thing flat out rocks. With all due respect to 4.6L owners, the 5.0 is in another league. Also, on a non performance note, I was impressed by the seat warmers. One stages usually overpower or don't do anything in my experience. These were a good balance if you're going to only have one stage.

Also, earlier I sat in a V6 Pony Package, black with saddle interior. Really sharp looking car. The touches on the pony package are incredible in my opinion. I asked to test it, but they were putting it in the showroom as I walked in.

Pushing_Tin 5/10/10 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by RandyW (Post 5865799)
The regular radio antenna looks fine to me. I think it's downright cute! I'd rather have a regular sized antenna that can pick up a decent signal than have a stubby one or one integrated into the windshield that has poorer reception. And if push button start were an option I wouldn't pay one dollar to get it.

I've had three vehicles (IS350, Accord Coupe and 370Z) which were all integrated, and none of them ever had an issue with radio reception. And with satellite radio, iPods and now Pandora coming to cars pretty soon we won't be listening to over the air radio much at all!

cdynaco 5/10/10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin (Post 5865109)
LOL, nope. Where in Oregon are you?

Down by Crater Lake NP.

I've had three vehicles (IS350, Accord Coupe and 370Z) which were all integrated, and none of them ever had an issue with radio reception. And with satellite radio, iPods and now Pandora coming to cars pretty soon we won't be listening to over the air radio much at all!
I've read where a number of guys that switched to shorties noticed poorer reception. Especially if your 'out' a bit. :dunno:

hawkeye18 5/11/10 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5865956)
I've read where a number of guys that switched to shorties noticed poorer reception. Especially if your 'out' a bit. :dunno:

That's how antennas work. Half-wave designs (the long antennas) will always, always be more sensitive than quarter-wave antennas (stubbies). It's basic RF theory.

WildPony619 5/11/10 07:21 PM

So I just picked up my 5.0 today. Unfortunately I could not give it a thorough test drive because it's pouring like holy hell here in Buffalo. For those of you who are getting a base GT, the charcoal cloth and interior trim is not too shabby. The steering wheel is a little disappointing but easily fixable. I have an auto and 1st gear is pretty wild. Definitely a beast compared to my 91 5.0 auto. I will post more impressions as soon as it stops raining here (which they're predicting until Friday :doh:).

IguanaKeepr 5/11/10 07:47 PM

I drove a 2011 GT Saturday. I wanted to compare it to my '10 GT. I can't believe that car is legal…it was smooth and fast…stupid fast. It seemed slightly quieter than mine and the sound induction tube didn’t seem as loud, in a convertible. However, I could have been distracted by the lines on the road whizzing by. It handled and rode slightly better but I liked the six speed (auto, same as mine) most of all. I really didn’t notice the gears switching as much. I was close to ordering one myself...but I can't justify trading for horsepower basically. I can’t imagine people not being happy with their 2011’s, whether it be V6 (which can now give me a run) or the GT. I will stick with my 2010. I really took a major leap in the interior from my 2007 and 2014 is just around the corner. ;)

karrnutt 5/12/10 02:43 PM

Drove a black 11 Gt at my dealers today .Very,very smooooth ! Rode better than my 10, vault quiet inside, The clutch makes the 10's feel like it's a chore to use, the six speed is silky smooth but I would prefer a Roush shifter. The engine is so quiet and so very powerful . I would definitely give it a 2 thumbs up .I am a little disappointed because this is what the 2010 should have been in the first place! Having said that,I love my 10 and won't be replacing it anytime soon .
The 2010 is a great improvement over the 05-09 models and the 2011 is a great improvement over them all . Except for being pricier , Ford should sell a ton of them ! They are WINNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 Fastback 5/14/10 11:10 PM

Test drove a GT brembo today; waiting for mine to come in, all I can say is awesome, it has power (obv) and no one will be disappointed. Shifting is smooth; clutch responsive and it will put you in your seat when you gun it.....:metal:

wgreg2011 5/19/10 08:19 AM

Picked up mine, a GT with MT, last night. DD is 07 Chevy Tahoe. Car is scary fast to me. Nailed it in second and third gear on narrow two lane road and it took off like a rocket. Will need to take time to get used to driving it. Darts around on rough surfaces a little. Gonna be fun when fully broken in.

Gene K 5/19/10 09:03 AM

Manual trans + 3.55 Gears.

1. Hold Down Button for 5 seconds to totally disable Tranction Control + Stability Control.

2. 1st Gear @ 20 mph.... Punch it.... Spin through 1st gear,

3. Hit 2nd... at 6750 rpm and go sideways....

4. Hit 3rd... at 6750 rpm and bark tires hard.

Now doing 75 mph.... All and all an interesting 4 seconds.

Time to go clean the rubber off the rear fenders.....

Bigjohns97 5/19/10 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gene K (Post 5872949)
Manual trans + 3.55 Gears.

1. Hold Down Button for 5 seconds to totally disable Tranction Control + Stability Control.

2. 1st Gear @ 20 mph.... Punch it.... Spin through 1st gear,

3. Hit 2nd... at 6750 rpm and go sideways....

4. Hit 3rd... at 6750 rpm and bark tires hard.

Now doing 75 mph.... All and all an interesting 4 seconds.

Time to go clean the rubber of the rear fenders.....

Don't forget when you hold down the button you have to have your foot on the brake and be at a complete stop.

lutador83 5/19/10 11:19 AM

Seeing all these posts have made me really want to test drive the new one. I am sure that thing is a beast from what you guys have said.

One thing I have to say though. To everyone who thinks that the 2010 Mustang GT owner got screwed, I don't think they did. The 2010 GT is still an amazing performer, and any car making 300+ bhp out of the box is a serious performer in my book. Some of us like more power and actually use it, while others including myself, drive the car a bit on the tamer side and every now and again give it a sprint. I think the 2010 actually fills a nice GAP for those who do not want to spend the extra money for the 5.0 but want a nice v8 that can still perform well.

That being said, if I were in the market, I would definitely get the 5 oooooooooooooooh! The name alone is worth the $35k when someone asks you what you drive and you say 5 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Norberd 5/19/10 12:17 PM

Odometer just rolled over 1000 km's and it's already got a squeak in the back somewhere. I can hear it over my music sometimes.

:doh:

Aside from that, the car has been nothing but a gem. It's so nice to have all that power on tap. Driving around town it's nice a smooth and quiet ride. But once you put that right foot down it's a whole different car, it comes to life with this intoxicating roar! I still smile everytime I step on it. Finally took the traction control off completley yesterday...i can see i'm going to need tires soon.

Now just to get this squeak figured out.

laserred38 5/19/10 01:26 PM

It's probably from all that bass the Shaker 1000 puts out...it's rattling apart your trunklid/interior panels. :D

Phorty 5/19/10 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Norberd (Post 5873108)
Odometer just rolled over 1000 km's and it's already got a squeak in the back somewhere. I can hear it over my music sometimes.

:doh:

Aside from that, the car has been nothing but a gem. It's so nice to have all that power on tap. Driving around town it's nice a smooth and quiet ride. But once you put that right foot down it's a whole different car, it comes to life with this intoxicating roar! I still smile everytime I step on it. Finally took the traction control off completley yesterday...i can see i'm going to need tires soon.

Now just to get this squeak figured out.

That sucks. Have you posted pics of your's yet? I'd like to see your color combo with the spoiler delete.