Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Exhaust systems are exhausting me

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/11, 02:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Type S are LOUD especially in the city. All the others have drone. Except GT500's.

I did my research and it all depends what you like. Roush, Type S too loud no drone.
Are you referring to one brand or all other systems? The Corsa has NO drone AT ALL.
Old 3/10/11, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Are you referring to one brand or all other systems? The Corsa has NO drone AT ALL.

JK, I forgot Corsa. Corsa, GT500 and Borla have no drone. All others do. And majority of others are raspy/ricer.

Take a video and some pics of your S Type!
Old 3/10/11, 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

HA! Love the #tigerblood avatar, overboost.
Old 3/10/11, 02:58 PM
GTR Member

JK, I forgot Corsa. Corsa, GT500 and Borla have no drone. All others do. And majority of others are raspy/ricer.

Take a video and some pics of your S Type!
I need to get out and take some video of the car with the X-pipe installed.
Old 3/10/11, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Type S are LOUD especially in the city. All the others have drone. Except GT500's.

I did my research and it all depends what you like. Roush, Type S too loud no drone.

X pipe isn't really going benefit you, you might actually lose torque on the low end. H pipe sounds nicer. If you're going to do X pipe, you need a tune.
This is some ridiculous misinformation.
Old 3/10/11, 04:37 PM
GTR Member

It's all relative. What's loud to one guy is fine to another.
Old 3/10/11, 05:01 PM
V6 Member

Nothing to is worse than going to all the expense and effort of changing the exhaust only to find the difference is marginal.
Old 3/10/11, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tstrick9
Nothing to is worse than going to all the expense and effort of changing the exhaust only to find the difference is marginal.
That reminds me of when I put a Steeda cat back on my 04 GT. Very disappointed. Thats why it is taking me 3+ months to figure out what I want. Stainless Works/Kooks seem to be perfect for the price. Maybe I'll start a thread with a poll question and just go with what the people think. I certainly can't decide for myself right now.
Old 3/10/11, 06:45 PM
GT Member

I started with the Roush axle backs, they are pretty loud (to my 38 yr old ears anyway) but they sound good and NO DRONE. I now have the Heartthrob 3" w/Hpipe cat to axle and GT500 axle backs on my car and it sounds perfect to me also, NO DRONE. I still have the Roush mufflers and might put them back on with the Heartthrob just to hear it. But I think I am sticking with the GT500's.
Old 3/10/11, 07:25 PM

I'm waiting for availability of the BOSS 302 sound pipes. I would think they are easy to place on a 2012 GT as it appears that they split off of the H pipe. To me, the ability to fit dump valves and have loud when you want it and not when you don't is great. Anyone seen any information on if this would even be possible?
Old 3/10/11, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Killa-B
I started with the Roush axle backs, they are pretty loud (to my 38 yr old ears anyway) but they sound good and NO DRONE. I now have the Heartthrob 3" w/Hpipe cat to axle and GT500 axle backs on my car and it sounds perfect to me also, NO DRONE. I still have the Roush mufflers and might put them back on with the Heartthrob just to hear it. But I think I am sticking with the GT500's.
Do it and tell us which one you like best. Also does your heartthrob exhaust have the built in flowpack mufflers or did you get straight pipe?
Old 3/10/11, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Bassanis sound NOTHING like Borlas. What are you talking about?

Bassani has #1 sound, IMO. Unfortunately the drone is a killer and I am having them removed and selling for cheap.

Went with Borla Type-S, being installed tomorrow. Does anyone think the type-S would be too loud with an X-pipe? I feel I'm already pushing it with the type-S (I live in a city area) and I hate tons of undue attention if I just wanna coast at 2,000 rpm.
try without the X pipe first the are pretty loud... I left a friends house today and a minute later I got a text from him (he was inside) saying man your car is loud
Old 3/10/11, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chrissy0022
try without the X pipe first the are pretty loud... I left a friends house today and a minute later I got a text from him (he was inside) saying man your car is loud
Yeah I don't think I am getting an accurate picture from inside my car. Inside my car with the windows down it seems PURRRRRRRFECT.

It's such a different sound than the Bassanis it's hard to choose one in terms of exhaust note. I would lean Borla just b/c of the drone...but the Bassani sounds deep and smooth, whereas the type-S is vicious and mid/higher.
Old 3/10/11, 09:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by QuadCammer5.0
Do it and tell us which one you like best. Also does your heartthrob exhaust have the built in flowpack mufflers or did you get straight pipe?
Mine has the resonators.
Old 3/11/11, 10:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Gotta say...I'm loving the Bassani AB. I was originally going with the Borla S AB, but switched after listening to a couple cars in person. The Bassani's have the truest muscle car sound IMO. As far as drone, I have none (just as Bassani claims in their advertising). At 1.5-2k RPM, it sounds ballsy but not obnoxious. At 4k+, it sounds like a frickin race car.

The price difference between Borla and Bassani also helped my decision.
Bassani all the way.
Old 3/11/11, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SurfnSoCal
Gotta say...I'm loving the Bassani AB. I was originally going with the Borla S AB, but switched after listening to a couple cars in person. The Bassani's have the truest muscle car sound IMO. As far as drone, I have none (just as Bassani claims in their advertising). At 1.5-2k RPM, it sounds ballsy but not obnoxious. At 4k+, it sounds like a frickin race car.

The price difference between Borla and Bassani also helped my decision.
Bassani all the way.
I don't believe you (maybe I do, but...). The Bassani resonance (the kind that you feel in the cabin and gives you a headache) is KILLER at 2k RPM. Maybe you can poke around 2300 or 2200 since you're running 3.73s?

Most people I talked to with Bassani have anywhere from slight drone to heavy drone. Never found one who said no drone!
Old 3/11/11, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't believe you (maybe I do, but...). The Bassani resonance (the kind that you feel in the cabin and gives you a headache) is KILLER at 2k RPM. Maybe you can poke around 2300 or 2200 since you're running 3.73s?

Most people I talked to with Bassani have anywhere from slight drone to heavy drone. Never found one who said no drone!
Well I ran an OR xpipe with no mufflers on my '05 GT. That was obnoxious and loud. Cruising at 60mph which is about 2k RPM with 3.73's is nothing but deep rumble...not drone...with the Bassanis. Even had a couple girls in the back seat ( ) while cruising around who said it sounded good.

Maybe the issue is the definition of drone. Drone to me is a fart cannon equipped import in a high gear going down the road. Sounds awful.
Old 3/11/11, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm.

I'm using drone to mean that specific frequency resonance that you feel coarses throughout the cabin. My girlfriend immediately noticed it whenever I had my foot on the pedal at 2,000 RPM.

I LIKE hearing engine/exhaust sounds inside the cabin. I'm not talking about that. Maybe my car is just unlucky.
Old 3/11/11, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hmm.

I'm using drone to mean that specific frequency resonance that you feel coarses throughout the cabin. My girlfriend immediately noticed it whenever I had my foot on the pedal at 2,000 RPM.

I LIKE hearing engine/exhaust sounds inside the cabin. I'm not talking about that. Maybe my car is just unlucky.
Well like you said, I'm running 3.73's. So I'm rarely driving at the loudest/most resonating RPM level (~2krpm...60mph in 6th), which is where you are talking about.

Anyone have a link to what the RPM is given your speed and gearing? Or is there a formula?

ex: 60 mph in 6th gear with 3.73's = X RPM?
Old 3/11/11, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thing is, I never took my car up to sixth gear (no room around here). I was getting heavy drone at 2nd to 5th gear. Only first gear at 2,000 RPM was tolerable. Rest made me want to die.

Quick Reply: Exhaust systems are exhausting me