Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Exhaust systems are exhausting me

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/11, 08:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust systems are exhausting me

I need to make a decision TOMORROW on which axle back to order for my new 2011. None of the youtube clips sound accurate. One system with Bassani and offroad x sounds loud , the next sounds quiet. Borla which seems to be praised sounds exactly the same in most videos as bassani. So people with systems start speaking. I want to know the exact description I would experience in real life. Is the bassani nice and loud but clean domestic muscle car sound? Not raspy etc. Everyone chime in.
Old 3/9/11, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2010GT
I need to make a decision TOMORROW on which axle back to order for my new 2011. None of the youtube clips sound accurate. One system with Bassani and offroad x sounds loud , the next sounds quiet. Borla which seems to be praised sounds exactly the same in most videos as bassani. So people with systems start speaking. I want to know the exact description I would experience in real life. Is the bassani nice and loud but clean domestic muscle car sound? Not raspy etc. Everyone chime in.

Borla S-Type axle back! I couldn't be happier! Guy at the body shop today asked me what exhaust i have on my car cause it sounds like his 1970's something mustang he used to have and he hasn't heard anything re create that sound and he want to go with the same exhaust for the 89 stang he has now
Old 3/9/11, 09:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Day I bought my '11 1st thing I did when I got home was order FM exhaust. Now I really want SLP's Loudmouth! My buddy has an 06 w/Pypes. It doesn't sound right, to me. I'm just afraid if I bought it for AT will sound not like I was hoping it would. Good luck in finding & buying 1. With my 95, I had 7 diff exhaust set-ups, though.
Old 3/9/11, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chrissy0022
Borla S-Type axle back! I couldn't be happier! Guy at the body shop today asked me what exhaust i have on my car cause it sounds like his 1970's something mustang he used to have and he hasn't heard anything re create that sound and he want to go with the same exhaust for the 89 stang he has now
Hm. Thats quite a compliment. In borlas video with all 3 systems I like the S-type the best without question.
Old 3/9/11, 09:22 PM

Hm. Thats quite a compliment. In borlas video with all 3 systems I like the S-type the best without question.
The videos don't do it justice i wanted to get a clip today but its been pouring rain all day..
Old 3/9/11, 09:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by chrissy0022
The videos don't do it justice i wanted to get a clip today but its been pouring rain all day..
Well if you have time tomorrow im sure the entire forum would appreciate it
Old 3/9/11, 09:27 PM

Well if you have time tomorrow im sure the entire forum would appreciate it

Yeah just need to get someone over here to video it... I will atleast get one on saturday when I install the shocks
Old 3/9/11, 11:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, listening to them on YouTube isn't going to tell you much. I found that a lot of videos are taken with cameras that don't have stereo microphones, which really hinders the sound. On top of that, listening to it via two channel speakers is going to cut the sound down even more, even if it's filmed on a stereo mic. Your best bet is trying to hunt people down who have them and listening to them in person.

That said, I have Corsa on mine. Just the axle-back system is a bit raspy above 3500rpm, but once I added their X-pipe, the sound is clean and gives it a great overall sound. I'd definitely give them a look if you're shopping Bassani and Borla.
Old 3/9/11, 11:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I used to love the Bassanis (and still do for the 4.6/5.4 cars), but then I found this:
https://themustangsource.com/f726/dy...system-492461/

....and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET4xLEirxhM
Old 3/9/11, 11:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BqL...eature=related

Basically, you need LTs to make these new 5.0s sound mean, IMO.
Old 3/10/11, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bassanis sound NOTHING like Borlas. What are you talking about?

Bassani has #1 sound, IMO. Unfortunately the drone is a killer and I am having them removed and selling for cheap.

Went with Borla Type-S, being installed tomorrow. Does anyone think the type-S would be too loud with an X-pipe? I feel I'm already pushing it with the type-S (I live in a city area) and I hate tons of undue attention if I just wanna coast at 2,000 rpm.
Old 3/10/11, 05:03 AM
GT Member

How much do you want for them?
Old 3/10/11, 05:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Lol I posted that thread because I loved the sound too. If pypes system was already out I wouldnt think twice about getting it but I called pypes and they said should start shipping around mid April and I'm just not that patient lol.
Old 3/10/11, 05:58 AM
Cobra Member

I love the sound of my magnaflow catback. The axle backs sound good too. But there are fitment issues with the catback. Its deep and not raspy or poppy. To me the borlas sound a little tinny and the bassani's sound most like the magnaflow. hope this helps!
Old 3/10/11, 06:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I love the sound of my magnaflow catback. The axle backs sound good too. But there are fitment issues with the catback. Its deep and not raspy or poppy. To me the borlas sound a little tinny and the bassani's sound most like the magnaflow. hope this helps!
Thanks for the insight. My dads Shelby has the competition catback as selves long tubes and such but his car is super raspy that's what's turning me away from magnaflows but that's am entirely different car too so idk. His over the axle pipes are hitting too.
Old 3/10/11, 06:53 AM
GT Member

Look me up if you decide to go with the Magnaflows or Borlas.

I have a bunch of them here at the shop and am moving them at some nice prices.

May be able to save you a few dollars.

Ken
Old 3/10/11, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

How much do you want for them?
325 if you live within driving distance. Not interested in shipping as it could cost over a hundred bucks. They have fifty miles on them or less.
Old 3/10/11, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I hate Magnaflows. They sound the same on every car. They always sound "restricted" to me.
Old 3/10/11, 11:28 AM
Banned

Type S are LOUD especially in the city. All the others have drone. Except GT500's.

I did my research and it all depends what you like. Roush, Type S too loud no drone.

X pipe isn't really going benefit you, you might actually lose torque on the low end. H pipe sounds nicer. If you're going to do X pipe, you need a tune.
Old 3/10/11, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Type S are LOUD especially in the city. All the others have drone. Except GT500's.

I did my research and it all depends what you like. Roush, Type S too loud no drone.

X pipe isn't really going benefit you, you might actually lose torque on the low end. H pipe sounds nicer. If you're going to do X pipe, you need a tune.
I just got off the phone with my mechanic who just finished installing my S-Types. Said there's no drone (unlike my Bassanis) and he says he LOVES the tone and volume of the S-Types over the Bassanis (and he really liked the Bassanis). Going to pick up the car after work.

I asked him if I kept the RPM's under 2500 whether it would be obnoxious int he city and he didn't think so.

I'm excited! Also, the Bassanis are for sale still. Will sell for 250 if you live in the DC area mid atlantic, need to get rid of these things taking up space in my trunk.

Quick Reply: Exhaust systems are exhausting me