2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Exhaust question on V6 2011

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/10, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust question on V6 2011

Ok found something pretty nice on my brand new V6 that I got today. I don't have those funny looking, decorative ,fake ,bigger exhaust tip that goes over the real one The first pic is what it's a tought it would look but mine is more like the GT one is that an option that I was unaware??? I have a V6 premium (canadian here) I know , I know I'll get pics tomorow morning to help you out . By the way this thing sounds F"$%/ sweet, yeah even for the V6
Attached Images  
Old 6/16/10, 05:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't think so those pics we're pre production models mine are 3.5" single tips no inner tip mine are allready replace though
Old 6/16/10, 06:52 AM

Haaa I see nice to know! What exhaust did you put?
Old 6/16/10, 07:02 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
My V-6 Permium with the Pony Package has the exhaust tips you have in the picture posted.
Old 6/16/10, 07:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only seen with the smaller inner pipe..

Old 6/16/10, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

this is so weird hmm anyways I went with some n1 style polished cans 4" slash cut tips 2.5" inlets 5" dia.
I can confirm a few things also about the 3.7's stock exhaust the tubing is only 2.25" which I find curious on a 300+hp car considering the gt's we're 2.5" from the factory.
Also the drivers side pipe is flattened for about an 18" section under the car don't know why I guess because it hangs what according to an eyeball estimate is .75" lower than the pass pipe?
So both of those could probally be addressed with an aftermarket dual mandrel 2.5" kit or getting a set of stock gt pipes?
Also right after the cats which btw are round and look pretty decent flowing, are a set of what look like about 10" long 3" dia resonators I asked the muffler shop guy if he thought they we're and he said they looked like resonators to him.
Tthe factory mufflers weigh a TON this guy has replaced lots of 2010+camaro mufflers*which we know how big those are and the 2011's felt like a good 10#s more to him apeice.
I weighed them side by side against a 2010 v6 muffler and I believe one weighs almost as much as 2 of the 05-10 stock mufflers yikes!
Another note of interest is that the mufflers seem to be louvered cores not chambered like I thought maybe chambered didn't sound right to ford?
For my install I had the n1's put on where he cut the stock mufflers below the ball flanges and made intermediate pipes then removed everything from the car and welded it all in smooth continuous welds so no leaks, also should I change my mind and want to run a bolt on exhaust in the future I will be able to by just unbolting the mufflers, he then reused the factory hanger brackets with new hangers. So all in all pretty clean simple install took less than an hour each side and total cost with mufflers $165 fired it up and was surprised at how good it sounds*really need to post a sound clip* it sounds a lot like my 04 350z did maybe a little deeper&growlier instead of hollow up high when cruising smooth even tone as long as you keep the rpms around 1900+ below 1800 some drone allthough the sound deadening cuts it out as long as the windows are up, you can't hear it over the radio if its above 50% volume or the a/c is going full tilt. But outside the car is another story its downright ferocious sounding around 4k+ and after driving it for a week they seem to be sounding better&better plus I love the look of the 4" slash cut tips in the gt500 lower diffuser Heck the diffuser mufflers&install due to a hookup I had we're all less than $300 total and really transformed the back of my stang&her lung capacity!

Last edited by 3.73-11; 6/16/10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 6/16/10, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Must post sound clip naowww!!

I have a pic of a 2010 GT and 2011 V6 side by side and the V6 mufflers are HUGE compared to the GT. Ford wanted this car quiet...
Old 6/16/10, 05:04 PM

We need a sound clip!!! I painted (a whole full size can) my rear-end and axles a couple days ago. I noticed one of the mid-pipes being oval shaped (i think mine was the passenger side) too. I thought maybe i had hit something until i felt the top of the pipe. The one side of the pipe is oval shaped on one side of the exhaust for some reason. Maybe for clearance like you said but very strange to me LOL!!!
Old 6/16/10, 05:16 PM

V6 exhaust tips

My Prem V6 came with wrapped exhausted tips too. Also, my passenger seat is electric powered!
I thought all passenger seats were supposed to be manual?!?
Old 6/16/10, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have nothing to add except I think that may be the coolest animated avatar I've seen anywhere.
Old 6/16/10, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nitrous
My Prem V6 came with wrapped exhausted tips too. Also, my passenger seat is electric powered!
I thought all passenger seats were supposed to be manual?!?
A powered passenger seat is part of the comfort package. It also includes heated seats.
Old 6/16/10, 05:21 PM

My passenger seat is power too. Maybe the comfort package added the power seat? One of the optional packages added the power passenger seat, i can't remember which one LOL!!!
Old 6/16/10, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
A powered passenger seat is part of the comfort package. It also includes heated seats.
You beat me to it. I'm old and type slow LOL!!!
Old 6/16/10, 09:33 PM

Ok as promise here are the pic of my stock exhaust whitout the inner pipe
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust question on V6 2011-forum.jpg  
Old 6/16/10, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 3.73-11
this is so weird hmm anyways I went with some n1 style polished cans 4" slash cut tips 2.5" inlets 5" dia.
I can confirm a few things also about the 3.7's stock exhaust the tubing is only 2.25" which I find curious on a 300+hp car considering the gt's we're 2.5" from the factory.
Also the drivers side pipe is flattened for about an 18" section under the car don't know why I guess because it hangs what according to an eyeball estimate is .75" lower than the pass pipe?
So both of those could probally be addressed with an aftermarket dual mandrel 2.5" kit or getting a set of stock gt pipes?
Also right after the cats which btw are round and look pretty decent flowing, are a set of what look like about 10" long 3" dia resonators I asked the muffler shop guy if he thought they we're and he said they looked like resonators to him.
Tthe factory mufflers weigh a TON this guy has replaced lots of 2010+camaro mufflers*which we know how big those are and the 2011's felt like a good 10#s more to him apeice.
I weighed them side by side against a 2010 v6 muffler and I believe one weighs almost as much as 2 of the 05-10 stock mufflers yikes!
Another note of interest is that the mufflers seem to be louvered cores not chambered like I thought maybe chambered didn't sound right to ford?
For my install I had the n1's put on where he cut the stock mufflers below the ball flanges and made intermediate pipes then removed everything from the car and welded it all in smooth continuous welds so no leaks, also should I change my mind and want to run a bolt on exhaust in the future I will be able to by just unbolting the mufflers, he then reused the factory hanger brackets with new hangers. So all in all pretty clean simple install took less than an hour each side and total cost with mufflers $165 fired it up and was surprised at how good it sounds*really need to post a sound clip* it sounds a lot like my 04 350z did maybe a little deeper&growlier instead of hollow up high when cruising smooth even tone as long as you keep the rpms around 1900+ below 1800 some drone allthough the sound deadening cuts it out as long as the windows are up, you can't hear it over the radio if its above 50% volume or the a/c is going full tilt. But outside the car is another story its downright ferocious sounding around 4k+ and after driving it for a week they seem to be sounding better&better plus I love the look of the 4" slash cut tips in the gt500 lower diffuser Heck the diffuser mufflers&install due to a hookup I had we're all less than $300 total and really transformed the back of my stang&her lung capacity!
Thanks , great info but please upload a video even if it's from your phone, WE demand a sample sir
Old 6/16/10, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by topfuelkev
Ok as promise here are the pic of my stock exhaust whitout the inner pipe
That's weird. Maybe it's a Canadian thing? That looks much better.
Old 6/16/10, 11:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I thought the Pony/MCA packages came with the chrome tips, that replace the bare stainless slash cut tips that come standard (the smaller pipe is more visible and kinda looks like the old Borla "turbo" tips).
Old 6/17/10, 06:25 AM

The Canadian 2011 V-6's were going to be single exhaust in the beginning when the dual exhaust for the V-6 was first announced.

Maybe, Ford had to get rid of the mufflers like in the first post and thats why i got one. It's fine with me, looks good in my opinion.
Old 6/17/10, 06:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the 1 pc. 3.5" 304 S.S. tips on my MT MCA pkg; pic below ... car was built a day or two after David Young's AT Pony pkg. with the 2-pc tips, and I've seen pics of cars built AFTER mine with these as well so it can't be a running change.

Anyone with an MCA that has the TWO PC. tips ??

If so, maybe it is an MT vs. AT thing.

Anyone with an MT equipped car with the TWO PC. tips ??

We'll get this exhaust tip mystery sorted out eventually !!

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust question on V6 2011-2011-must-8-16x12.jpg  
Old 6/17/10, 07:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I thought the Pony/MCA packages came with the chrome tips, that replace the bare stainless slash cut tips that come standard (the smaller pipe is more visible and kinda looks like the old Borla "turbo" tips).
They are not Chrome, they are lightly Brushed & Polished 304 S.S.

For some reason tech writers like to call upgraded and shiny tips "Chrome plated", because either they don't know any better or they've found that the average idiot thinks a Chrome plated tip is way better than a polished 304 S.S. one.

A Chrome Plated 304 S.S. tip makes no sence to me (if it is really done for certain applications).

Chrome Plating if not maintained or driven through harsh winters will eventually blister, flake, or peel.
vs.
304 S.S. can be polished up "as new" year after year of harsh winters. Even after many years of neglect, it's appearance can be made to look like new again with a little extra effort.

Doug

Quick Reply: Exhaust question on V6 2011