Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The ever persistant "Engine Break-in" question...

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/10, 09:10 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeez, I'm starting to be sorry for opening another can of worms on here...
Old 5/15/10, 09:48 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
You did say the question is "ever persistent"!

So far, the discussion has been civil, and hopefully it will stay that way.

Last edited by PTRocks; 5/15/10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 5/15/10, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't be. I think it's a good topic. Enough people are getting their cars that we've moved on from WTF IS MY F'N CAR OMFG OMFG OMFG to proper break in procedures. It's progress. Really!

My take is that by the time we get the cars, the rings have been mostly seated. In order to really break a car in hard, you'd need to take it as it rolled off of the line.
Old 5/15/10, 10:08 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
You did say the question is "ever persistent"!

So far, the discussion has been civil, and hopefully it will stay that way.
Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Don't be. I think it's a good topic. Enough people are getting their cars that we've moved on from WTF IS MY F'N CAR OMFG OMFG OMFG to proper break in procedures. It's progress. Really!

My take is that by the time we get the cars, the rings have been mostly seated. In order to really break a car in hard, you'd need to take it as it rolled off of the line.
My hope, and I guess it was too much to hope for, was that everyone would not get hysterical over ANOTHER non-issue.

It really isn't going to make any difference whether you break it in by running it hard or going easier on it. The rings will be seated in either way, one way just takes a bit longer than the other more fun way to do it.
Old 5/15/10, 10:11 PM
FR500 Member

My hope, and I guess it was too much to hope for, was that everyone would not get hysterical over ANOTHER non-issue.

It really isn't going to make any difference whether you break it in by running it hard or going easier on it. The rings will be seated in either way, one way just takes a bit longer than the other more fun way to do it.
I don't see anyone getting hysterical here. It's a contentious issue. I for one think it's a really relevant topic for discussion.
Old 5/15/10, 10:16 PM
GTR Member

Okay then, I started this thread and said my piece, y'all argue(discuss) it out as long as you want.
Old 5/15/10, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think I'd want metal shavings in my oil pump at 7k or scoring the cyl walls.

If you are going to bang on it, put some fresh oil in it first.
Old 5/15/10, 11:24 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Ok, one more time without the neon green font. "Smaller Intake Ports Gain 7 % More Power !! Never Before Seen in Magazines"

Do you want to listen to this guy, or do you want to listen to the advice of highly trained automotive engineers that work for all the major car companies?
While I can't speak specifically to his assertion about the ports, did you ever understand the venturi concept in carbs? Some narrowing/funneling of the throat actually speeds up airflow.

Lighten up until you can cite some flow characteristics.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/15/10 at 11:26 PM.
Old 5/15/10, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
While I can't speak specifically to his assertion about the ports, did you ever understand the venturi concept in carbs? Some narrowing/funneling of the throat actually speeds up airflow.

Bernoulli's principle.
Old 5/16/10, 12:00 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 5/16/10, 01:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, one more time without the neon green font. "Smaller Intake Ports Gain 7 % More Power !! Never Before Seen in Magazines"

Do you want to listen to this guy, or do you want to listen to the advice of highly trained automotive engineers that work for all the major car companies?
It seemed to work for Lockheed and the Air Force.

Old 5/16/10, 05:03 AM

Cool.. what did the Ford guys say to do?

Last edited by krnpimpsta; 5/16/10 at 05:04 AM.
Old 5/16/10, 05:11 AM
GT Member

Picked my 2006 up right off the rail car in Jackson MS, had 2 miles on it. Broke it in with the whip. Full power run ups in 4th gear from 1500 rpm to rev limiter about 10 times. Runs 13.1 @ 106.7 with a tune and xpipe on the stock Pirellies, and gets 28 mpg at 70 mph, and dosen't need to have oil added between oil changes at 5K miles. The car is at 50K miles currently. Think of every drag car purposly built, they don't get broken in with a gentle run in either, if it made them faster, they would be. I've built a lot of motors, long time ago piston ring boxes actually said to do this on the label.

Very good advice, give it the whip.
Old 5/16/10, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by cdynaco

I agree, but "increasing the speed of the air (ft/s)" and "increasing the volume of air actually passing through the port (cfm)" do not mean the same thing.

Anytime air passes through a smaller area, it must speed up, but the increased pressure in the narrow area (which is causing it to go faster), will cause less air, overall, to move through that opening.
Old 5/16/10, 05:21 AM
FR500 Member

Cool.. what did the Ford guys say to do?
He wasn't concerned about running it hard when it was new. you can read more if you check out the first post in the thread I had linked.
Old 5/16/10, 05:23 AM

I don't think anyone is getting hysterical. I appreciate the chance for intelligent discussion about this stuff with other car enthusiasts.. it usually ends up with me learning a thing or two.

I agree that it won't make a huge difference how you break in a modern car, but that "moto man website" does say some extremely controversial things, but I think that's why it's good that we talk about it and see other perspectives..
Old 5/16/10, 05:24 AM
FR500 Member

I agree, but "increasing the speed of the air (ft/s)" and "increasing the volume of air actually passing through the port (cfm)" do not mean the same thing.

Anytime air passes through a smaller area, it must speed up, but the increased pressure in the narrow area (which is causing it to go faster), will cause less air, overall, to move through that opening.
This is true for steady state conditions, but in 2 and 4 stroke engines flow conditions are mainly transient, which is why in certain circumstances smaller = more flow.
Old 5/16/10, 05:28 AM
FR500 Member

Another counter-intuitive example has to do with turbulent flow. While turbulence generally would mean more drag (because more energy goes into 'spinning' the air), golf ***** have dimples to create turbulence because it reduces drag.
Old 5/16/10, 05:30 AM
GT Member

The holy grail of cylinder head ports. Smaller or same cross section and yet more CFM = more power.
Old 5/16/10, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by PTRocks
This is true for steady state conditions, but in 2 and 4 stroke engines flow conditions are mainly transient, which is why in certain circumstances smaller = more flow.
Ah.. ok, didn't know that.. that makes sense.

Quick Reply: The ever persistant "Engine Break-in" question...