2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Engine temps

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/11, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine temps

This is my first Mustang, a 2011 GT with 3.73's, a JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, a magnaflow comp. catback, and a Jon Lund 93 Octane tune to match the intake.

My concern is how hot, as it appears to me, the engine bay is after running the car. Is it normal for these engines to run this hot? I do not have a gauge to measure what the temps are when I finally park the car and turn it off, but when you pop the hood you are greeted with noticeable warmth. I do not like shifting below 3k RPMs and I do not baby the car, but nonetheless I have run cars in the past hard as well and this is more heat than I ever felt in a car before. That carbon fiber tube for the CAI is hot to the touch.

Anything to be concerned about?
Old 7/7/11, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
After a hard run, which is almost always since I use the interstate back and forth to home, I always pop the hood. It will cool much faster, even in the garage. This is a fairly large chunk of metal in a confined space, which when parked has no air flow.

I don't worry about it as long as the temp gauge stays where it is supposed to while driving.
Old 7/8/11, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
rdcpgh-
I know what you mean and it does seem that this motor runs hotter than most modern engines...but this happens with the stock tune too (in case that makes you feel any better)..

I would really like to have an actual temp gauge too to see if it's worth actually worrying about. That might be a good mod. Isn't there a way to hook one up to the OBDII port?

Like SD CALSPCL, I always leave my hood up when I put the car away in the garage...just to reduce the chance of aluminum rot showing up on the hood...which probably isn't an issue anyway.
Old 7/8/11, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also keep in mind that those catalytic converters are more up in the engine bay than in previous mustangs. That coupled with the un-coated factory headers is going to create a bit more under hood temperature.

I ran my car at PPIR for 6 20 minute sessions last weekend in 98 degree heat. No cooling issues and the car never skipped a beat. As was already mentioned, if it does worry you, simply pop the hood when you're done driving.
Old 7/8/11, 01:41 PM
Cobra Member

I agree. The car gets hotter than my previous vehicles. However, it runs like a raped cheetah! ! I don't think there are any concerns. These motors have been thoroughly tested and are on their second year. No worries.
Old 7/8/11, 03:18 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
My V-6 water temperature was still 164 degrees after sitting in the shade for 2 hours. It is hot (engine) to the touch after sitting for 3 hours. I hooked up my ScanGaugeII to check the water temperature and went for a cruse. The water temp went to 195 degrees. When i got home i let my Mustang idle for 5 minutes. The water temperature went to 197 degrees a couple times for a few seconds, then went back down to 195 degrees.
Old 7/8/11, 03:32 PM

the engine runs cooler on the highway speeds so if it's running and not moving it'll be a little hotter than usual
Old 7/8/11, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ricky345
the engine runs cooler on the highway speeds so if it's running and not moving it'll be a little hotter than usual
Lol, nice informative first post
Old 7/9/11, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rdcpgh
This is my first Mustang, a 2011 GT with 3.73's, a JLT Carbon Fiber CAI, a magnaflow comp. catback, and a Jon Lund 93 Octane tune to match the intake.

My concern is how hot, as it appears to me, the engine bay is after running the car. Is it normal for these engines to run this hot? I do not have a gauge to measure what the temps are when I finally park the car and turn it off, but when you pop the hood you are greeted with noticeable warmth. I do not like shifting below 3k RPMs and I do not baby the car, but nonetheless I have run cars in the past hard as well and this is more heat than I ever felt in a car before. That carbon fiber tube for the CAI is hot to the touch.

Anything to be concerned about?
No. We spoke at length with Mark (engineering mgr for Ford Racing production vehicles) yesterday at Laguna Seca and he said the 5.0 is designed to run at 250. Yep not a typo. He did say it is important to do a "cool down" lap if you're tracking the car to normalize the temp.
Old 7/9/11, 12:21 PM
Cobra R Member

You're able to tell the engine (coolant) temp by going into engineering mode.

(From the vehicle completely off--ignition off, key out, door open and closed to kill the accessory delay)

1.) Press and hold the 'Setup' and 'Reset' buttons for the message center (located near the headlamp controls)

2.) While keeping these buttons pressed, start the vehicle. Continue to hold them through the start up until 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE'.

3.) Release the buttons. (the first test will be a gauge test, so don't freak out when the gauge needles go nuts and make weird noise- it's normal.)

4.) You can scroll through the different engineering readout displays and tests by pressing the Reset button.

5.) To end Engineering Test Mode, turn off the vehicle ignition, and open the door (to kill the accessory delay).

The vehicle will start up on 'regular' mode next time, unless you do the button press-and-hold again.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 7/9/11 at 10:47 PM.
Old 7/10/11, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT

Lol, nice informative first post
Rofllllll