Search this Thread

Old 8/15/14, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.
Old 8/15/14, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If I read correctly about the Aluminator motor with 11.0 compression. The timing cover comes modified to accept a super charger. It states the timing cover would need to be swapped otherwise. Did you ask the dealer or is it not something you want to do?
Old 8/15/14, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing you guys are forgetting when you mention the Coyote vs Aluminator price is the price you are quoting is retail. There is a much smaller difference in the cost of the engine when looking at manufacturer cost. Maybe a few hundred bucks at best!
Old 8/15/14, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrajg
Just got a call from the dealer. Ford had the tech take the car for a road test with computer hooked up. The cam shaft froze up and blew the chain through the bottom of the block and out the oil pan. New engine will be here next week. Joy!
wow.
Old 8/15/14, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
what about diminished value from not having a numbers matching car anymore.
Old 8/15/14, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's why I'm going to wait for my 3 years / 60k warranty goes out as well! I've never had much luck either.
Old 8/15/14, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

My son and I were just talking about that and I wasn't going to mention it because I didn't want to upset the OP any more with that info. My son said they should give you something extra to compensate you for the diminished value. I hate that I taught my 16 year old so well. He's always thinking!!!! You do have an argument with the regional service rep regarding diminished value on a 6k mile car.
Old 8/15/14, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
My son and I were just talking about that and I wasn't going to mention it because I didn't want to upset the OP any more with that info. My son said they should give you something extra to compensate you for the diminished value. I hate that I taught my 16 year old so well. He's always thinking!!!! You do have an argument with the regional service rep regarding diminished value on a 6k mile car.

they don't care.

I've posted this before. my wife's brand new 2014 Santa fe had the bottom end of the engine rebuilt because it sounded like a 90'd Jetta TDI.

the car was just a few months old and had around 6k on it. I kicked up a stink about the whole reason we buy new cars is to avoid this very thing but.... ....
Old 8/15/14, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
If I read correctly about the Aluminator motor with 11.0 compression. The timing cover comes modified to accept a super charger. It states the timing cover would need to be swapped otherwise. Did you ask the dealer or is it not something you want to do?
Are you talking about the Aluminator N/A, or Aluminator for S/C applications. The one for Supercharged applications comes with a lower 9.5:1 compression ratio.

Is the timing cover still different on Naturally Aspirated applications?
Old 8/15/14, 01:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
I wonder if you had a tune, you'd have to foot the bill regardless if that's what caused it. This just convinced me not to get one unless I get a blower w/warranty. You just never know. Hope everything works out and you're up and running again soon...
Same here
Old 8/15/14, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
I wonder if you had a tune, you'd have to foot the bill regardless if that's what caused it. This just convinced me not to get one unless I get a blower w/warranty. You just never know. Hope everything works out and you're up and running again soon...
Some tunes come with a powertrain warranty. Ford Racing comes to mind. Not gonna help with the blower though, everything else needs to pretty much be stock.
Old 8/15/14, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Are you talking about the Aluminator N/A, or Aluminator for S/C applications. The one for Supercharged applications comes with a lower 9.5:1 compression ratio.

Is the timing cover still different on Naturally Aspirated applications?
According to the Ford Racing Website (Used the link on Ford.com). Was trying to find what would be basically a drop in (No Tune Required) Aluminator. Which would be 11.0 compression. It has a note that the timing cover is pre modified for a SC and the cover would need to be swapped for NA.
Old 8/18/14, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

[QUOTE=cobrajg;6840590]Car is 14 months old with ~6300 miles, all stock other than GT500 ABs.

I guess they (dealership and Ford Corp.) did NOT give you a hard time about the AB's? I have them plus the Boss side exhaust but stock engine w/ no tune.
I always wonder if something happens to my engine if they would give me a hard time with warranty coverage?

No go on the aluminator.

Dealership and/or Ford Corp. said they will only supply stock replacement even with you paying the difference?
Old 8/20/14, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Give this guy a break about the Aluminator. Ford said no. When a minor/cheap part is replaced under warranty, it is business as usual - nobody bats an eye. When an ENGINE is replaced, EVERYONE is looking at it. EVERYONE meaning parts suppliers, engine plant where engine was built, assembly plant where car was built, Ford corporate, EVERYONE.

So no, nobody will agree to swap an engine, get over it.

And reimbursement because the car is no longer a numbers matching car? Get over that ****, too. This is the real world.

Last edited by RubyRedMCA_Beast; 8/20/14 at 06:20 AM.
Old 8/20/14, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
Give this guy a break about the Aluminator. Ford said no. When a minor/cheap part is replaced under warranty, it is business as usual - nobody bats an eye. When an ENGINE is replaced, EVERYONE is looking at it. EVERYONE meaning parts suppliers, engine plant where engine was built, assembly plant where car was built, Ford corporate, EVERYONE. So no, nobody will agree to swap an engine, get over it. And reimbursement because the car is no longer a numbers matching car? Get over that ****, too. This is the real world.
Most logical post so far. I was thinking the same exact thing.
Old 8/20/14, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

And reimbursement because the car is no longer a numbers matching car? Get over that ****, too. This is the real world.
Bought to say, it's a GT, numbers matching? If it was an original first model year GT numbers matching then sure, but no one in the future, 25 years from now, is going to care that your GT isn't numbers matching.
Old 8/20/14, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Bought to say, it's a GT, numbers matching? If it was an original first model year GT numbers matching then sure, but no one in the future, 25 years from now, is going to care that your GT isn't numbers matching.

That's what they said 35 years ago.
Old 8/20/14, 07:19 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Give this guy a break about the Aluminator. Ford said no. When a minor/cheap part is replaced under warranty, it is business as usual - nobody bats an eye. When an ENGINE is replaced, EVERYONE is looking at it. EVERYONE meaning parts suppliers, engine plant where engine was built, assembly plant where car was built, Ford corporate, EVERYONE. So no, nobody will agree to swap an engine, get over it. And reimbursement because the car is no longer a numbers matching car? Get over that ****, too. This is the real world.
Good points... But did you have breakfast or coffee yet today? Lol.
Old 8/20/14, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm confused. If they replace the motor with the same motor why is it not numbers matching.

Also on the Aluminator. Ford would never replace the stock motor even if it was cheaper. There is no testing or tune available from Ford for Street OEM use. That would never happen.

That engine looks like it had an Oil issue. Did it just start happening or did this happen over a long time?
Old 8/20/14, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

It won't be numbers matching because the date code and VIN stamp on the block won't match anymore. Not sure about Ford, but the Chevy vehicles get the partial VIN stamped on the block. The date code on the block also usually matches the build date of the car. Replacement engines more than likely won't be manufactured the same time as the car.

In all reality, numbers matching was a phrase that was brought up in the 80's by the Corvette crowd when they were having their cars judged for correctness by the NCRS. It was those cars that then sold with NCRS documentation stating the history of the car as correct and "all numbers matching". The Corvettes that were still original and documented as original sold for more money than regular Corvettes. The term then became an industry standard for people trying to get top dollar for the resale of their car. Today, people selling any car, will get less for the car if something major has been changed. It might look and run just as good, but the auto industry now frowns on "non-matching numbers", so values are typically less than the "numbers matching" equivalent.

Last edited by scottmoyer; 8/20/14 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine noise update