2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Emotioally Attached to Your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/15, 08:19 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While a car represents freedom and independence to me, I'm not emotionally attached. It is a thing.
Old 4/21/15, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah a car is just a thing, but they are also part of our life experiences. I bet there's not a guy here that doesn't remember the car he was in on his first date or first piece of....never mind. I've had cars, and trucks that I had difficulty saying good bye to, and I've had cars and trucks that I said good ridince to as well. I sold (gave a way) my first car, a 70 Dodge Challenger because I didn't have a garage and couldn't stand to watch it rot away. I still miss that car. I cried when I sold my 85 Z-28, but now I wonder why. I can't begin to count the times I wished I still had my M715 back.
I'm planning on keeping my 13 GT for a long time, but time will tell how attached to it I will get.
Old 4/21/15, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I get all gitty and excited each time I sit and start my car for the first time that day. Its not because I'm emotionally attached. It's because its my first ever 300+ HP monster on wheels! and even so, it STILL turns heads while driving by. My car gets everyone's attention on the road, probably, partly due to my exhaust

I would sell my car if I new I was trading up and was getting a deal of a lifetime. But, I know that won't happen. with that said. I plan on driving that car everyday for the next 10-15 years with a big smile on my face.
Old 4/21/15, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I loved the hell out of my T/A, so when my dad suggested getting a new car I wasn't too enthusiastic about it. But when I the Roush I wanted and started talking with the dealer I had absolutely no problem selling it. I wouldnt be surprised if my T/A is probably in a junk yard by now since a guy bought it for his 15 year old son. At first i was reluctant to sell it to him knowing the car would probably get the **** beat out of it until it broke or was wrecked. But at the end of the day money talks and his offer was more than enough to let me say goodbye.

I love my Roush, but again, I wouldn't have a problem selling it for a better car when the time comes.
Old 4/21/15, 12:22 PM
GT Member

I get emotionally attached to most of my vehicles. I kinda look at them as pets, mules or friends that help me get moving around!

My Mustangs are my worst vise as I still have my 90 GT from right out of high school, my 92 LX Notch from College, my 88 LX Notch I got after I bought my first house, and my 2014 GT as my first new car ever. I have others but these are my most desirable ones that I have some attachment to. Luckily I have relatives and friends that have extra garage spaces to keep them in.

I now need a bigger property with a big indoor stable/barn to house them all in one location! The bad thing about having all these is it spreads my time out with each one pretty thin. I unfortunately have not taken my 90 GT on a ride in 10 years. It sits in perfect condition in the corner so someday will probably be one of those **** barn finds when I'm too old to do anything LOL!
Old 4/21/15, 01:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's pretty ironic that this post pops up when I got an offer for my '13 again. This time though it's from a friend who is German and has a really nice 2010 GT here in Germany. I'm at the point in my life that it doesn't matter to me what car I drive really. If it's fun to drive, fast, shiny, and makes me smile I don't really care either way.

Unfortunately I have gotten a little bit emotionally attached to this one. It's the first car I've purchased exactly the way I wanted it. I have driven it across 2 continents and 5 different countries since new. I have put over 26K miles on it just in Europe. My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by driving it from Germany through Austria and the Alps to the Italian Riviera for a week.

At the end of the day it's the memories that are more inportant to me. I know that selling it before I retire affords me some comfort in this next chapter that otherwise I might not have. There are some exciting cars to hit the road in the next 5 years and I want to be able to ****** one given the chance. I won't have the glorious Autobahn to scream down here in a few months either so driving will become boring again. Until then, I will find something fun and cheap and save my pennies for a rainy GT-350 kind of day.

She may be gone before the end of the month. Cheers.
Old 4/21/15, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup. Giddyap baby!
Old 4/21/15, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say that I'm emotionally attached to my 2014 Mustang GT because I've only had it not quite two years and have only put 11,600 miles on it.

Even though I only put about 200 miles a year on it these days, I am emotionally attached to my 1970 Monte Carlo which I bought in 1987 at the age of 20. It was my second car and has been with me all of these years. I won't ever get rid of it.

The other vehicle that I'm emotionally attached to is my 1998 Chevy extended Cab Z71 which I bought new in 98 and still have. I doubt I ever sell it either. I only put about 3,000 miles a year on it these days and it has 129,000 miles on it but it still looks great.

If I end up keeping the Mustang, I may become attached to it at some point.

Wayne
Old 4/22/15, 04:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Horspla
... On my 28 mile drive home I started to wonder exactly what in the he11 I was really doing and became slightly emotional over trading off the Mustang...
This is exactly how I felt driving to the second Dodge dealer after the first guys screwed me around on the deal we'd worked on all week. I was ready to let the Mustang go, but had that 20 minute drive to think again about what I was doing. And then I did it anyway.
Old 4/22/15, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am very emotionally attached to my mustang "Sterling."

When I first moved to Tampa, FL I knew no one. I was all alone in a new area and it is hard making friends sometimes, especially when you work long hours and don't have a lot of time to just go out. I was driving a BMW X5 which then started giving me electrical problems. I have always wanted a mustang and I decided I wanted a new one. So I got an awesome deal on a new base v6 manual ($17,995) with 28 miles on it. I was so happy with the power and sportiness. I then looked around and found a mustang group and started participating in cruises, meets and a few car shows. Then I got into Autocross. I have made so many good friends because of my mustang that it has changed my life for the better. I even fell in love with an awesome person and wouldn't have met if I wasn't at the drag strip with my mustang. Sterling is truly special to me.
Old 4/22/15, 07:17 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
John... I can't believe I missed this thread. LOL.

You probably know what my answer to this thread's question is right?

I have to answer YES, because Marilyn is listening. Sssssssssh

Of course I'm emotionally attached. That car is an extension of me. I checked all the boxes I wanted, ordered her how I wanted, watched her roll off the truck (as I waited at the dealership that day for her to come in), then blatantly told all the folks at the dealership to stay away from my car as I get to "peel" her plastic off LOL. And of course, every mod on her I installed all by myself.

I've made a vow, that I will NEVER get rid of her. I will get ANOTHER car/s alongside her, but Marilyn will always stay. I hope to give her to my son when he turns 16. HOWEVER, everyone has a PRICE, and if the right one comes along, who knows

As for your situation, it's your call John. The C6 Grand Sport is a worthy replacement. A few of my buddies here have one. I don't think you would have made an unwise decision. But my 2 cents, get the C6 but KEEP the Stang too.

Let me know what you decide buddy. Maybe we just need to go on a cruise and that will convince you to never get rid of her. Should I drive up to Minnesota?
Old 4/22/15, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 13GetThere
Yeah a car is just a thing, but they are also part of our life experiences. I bet there's not a guy here that doesn't remember the car he was in on his first date or first piece of....never mind. I've had cars, and trucks that I had difficulty saying good bye to, and I've had cars and trucks that I said good ridince to as well. I sold (gave a way) my first car, a 70 Dodge Challenger because I didn't have a garage and couldn't stand to watch it rot away. I still miss that car. I cried when I sold my 85 Z-28, but now I wonder why. I can't begin to count the times I wished I still had my M715 back.
I'm planning on keeping my 13 GT for a long time, but time will tell how attached to it I will get.
Don't get me wrong, I will be driving my mustang for years to come. It's still less than a year old. I will have it for at least another 5 1/2 years and hopefully double that. I'll drive it until it won't drive anymore and becomes too costly to fix/repair.
Old 4/22/15, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was attached to my '93 Trans Am. I still miss it and am tempted to buy it back, but have no place to store it to work on it. I had the car for 16 years. Both of my kids cried when I sold it. I do like my GT and am attached to it, protective of it, etc. But if I just had an acre of property with a nice workshop on it, I'd buy back my TA and start restoring it.
Here it is in 1998 at my Grandmothers house in Richmond, VA:

Old 4/22/15, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
John... I can't believe I missed this thread. LOL.

You probably know what my answer to this thread's question is right?

I have to answer YES, because Marilyn is listening. Sssssssssh

Of course I'm emotionally attached. That car is an extension of me. I checked all the boxes I wanted, ordered her how I wanted, watched her roll off the truck (as I waited at the dealership that day for her to come in), then blatantly told all the folks at the dealership to stay away from my car as I get to "peel" her plastic off LOL. And of course, every mod on her I installed all by myself.

I've made a vow, that I will NEVER get rid of her. I will get ANOTHER car/s alongside her, but Marilyn will always stay. I hope to give her to my son when he turns 16. HOWEVER, everyone has a PRICE, and if the right one comes along, who knows

As for your situation, it's your call John. The C6 Grand Sport is a worthy replacement. A few of my buddies here have one. I don't think you would have made an unwise decision. But my 2 cents, get the C6 but KEEP the Stang too.

Let me know what you decide buddy. Maybe we just need to go on a cruise and that will convince you to never get rid of her. Should I drive up to Minnesota?

Burton I can’t believe you missed it either. The absence of a response from you was leaving me to think you viewed Marilyn as just another heartless mechanical object. Of course you could have tried to make all believe that, but your actions give you away!

An extension of oneself. Yes, that’s the right way to put it. Maybe that’s why I felt pretty dissed when two of the three dealers I worked with really low balled me and the one offer I was about to take was at best only halfassed reasonable. As I look back on how I felt, I believe I took their lowball offers as a personal attack on who I am since I took El Pita in as a blank canvas and made it into a partial expression of me. The anticipation and excitement of doing that is all still very fresh in my mind…and of course I still have small details I want to do to him. I know it sounds stupid, and it is, I get that…but there it is. I also know I was wrong to feel bad about their offers since to them a car is simply an object, a machine they’re dealing on and trying to make a barrel full of bucks off of. It’s just a business transaction to them. I don’t have any hard feelings towards them and in fact, hope to deal with one of them in the near future as he was a superb salesman…no BS, good accurate info and let me know exactly where he stood at all times. He’s the first car salesman I’ve ever respected.

What the future holds for El Pita and the possibility of a Corvette? I ran the numbers on Sunday and my plan at this point is to pay him off inside the next year and keep him. Next fall and winter the search is on for a good used ’14 or ’15 C7, Z51 LT2 to add to the toy box. God how/where am I going to keep three cars a pick-up and a motorcycle in a garage? My stable only has three and a half stalls and they’re all full right now. I know, first world problem…I could be drinking water from poop riddled river and sleeping in a grass hut.

If in the end I find that I’m not driving El Pita enough to warrant keeping him, or my feelings fade over time, I would consider selling to a private party at that point. Never to a wholesaler…that’s just cruel to think about!

Dude…you’re welcome up here anytime but I don’t think you need to do it as an intervention, at least not now anyway!

John

Last edited by Horspla; 4/22/15 at 11:44 AM.
Old 4/22/15, 11:48 AM
GT Member

I would have to say not quite yet.

My previous car I had from new for 21 years (Nissan NX 2000). THAT one my whole family was attached to and my 12 year old hid her tears when it was carted away.

When the Mustang accompanies me on more of my adventures, then probably. So far I've just gone around, doing regular things with it. I've only had my 2011 since Halloween.

But, like the NX, the Mustang is full of character so I imagine it will worm its way in.

Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 4/22/15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 4/22/15, 02:20 PM
I Have No Life

Burton I can’t believe you missed it either. The absence of a response from you was leaving me to think you viewed Marilyn as just another heartless mechanical object. Of course you could have tried to make all believe that, but your actions give you away!

An extension of oneself. Yes, that’s the right way to put it. Maybe that’s why I felt pretty dissed when two of the three dealers I worked with really low balled me and the one offer I was about to take was at best only halfassed reasonable. As I look back on how I felt, I believe I took their lowball offers as a personal attack on who I am since I took El Pita in as a blank canvas and made it into a partial expression of me. The anticipation and excitement of doing that is all still very fresh in my mind…and of course I still have small details I want to do to him. I know it sounds stupid, and it is, I get that…but there it is. I also know I was wrong to feel bad about their offers since to them a car is simply an object, a machine they’re dealing on and trying to make a barrel full of bucks off of. It’s just a business transaction to them. I don’t have any hard feelings towards them and in fact, hope to deal with one of them in the near future as he was a superb salesman…no BS, good accurate info and let me know exactly where he stood at all times. He’s the first car salesman I’ve ever respected.

What the future holds for El Pita and the possibility of a Corvette? I ran the numbers on Sunday and my plan at this point is to pay him off inside the next year and keep him. Next fall and winter the search is on for a good used ’14 or ’15 C7, Z51 LT2 to add to the toy box. God how/where am I going to keep three cars a pick-up and a motorcycle in a garage? My stable only has three and a half stalls and they’re all full right now. I know, first world problem…I could be drinking water from poop riddled river and sleeping in a grass hut.

If in the end I find that I’m not driving El Pita enough to warrant keeping him, or my feelings fade over time, I would consider selling to a private party at that point. Never to a wholesaler…that’s just cruel to think about!

Dude…you’re welcome up here anytime but I don’t think you need to do it as an intervention, at least not now anyway!

John
John, I love your posts. You're one of the few folks here who I really respect and can articulate their thoughts in a profound yet clear way.

I can totally understand how you felt slighted by the dealer's offer for your trade. I will never trade mine in for that same reason. It will only be sold privately, to someone who I know will take care of her. But in the dealership's defense, they can't put added value on your car because of the personalization and mods....it will be blue book (or lower) based on the VIN/trim of the car. It's not because your mods/upgrades are distasteful, it's just that to them, it provides no value. You are definitely better off selling privately......or, as I stated earlier, keep and then buy a C7

For what it's worth, your car's current mods are great. I like em!!!!
Old 4/22/15, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I like the car, but I am not emotionally attached to it. In a few years it's getting traded in for a newer model. I still own my first car. I have had it for 25 years and spent a mint restoring it. That is a car that I have an emotional attachment to, having owned it for so long.
To tell the truth, I have more attachment to the 90 LX I picked up last year, after spending time making it what I want.
I only enjoy the car half the year when I get to put the top down and cruise, so that could play a big part in any lack of attachment to it.
Old 4/22/15, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes. I was emotionally attached to the 5.0, Andy, before I got to the dealer to see it. Found it online on a weekend and had to wait til monday to see it. It is my 2nd Mustang. I got it in Aug of 2013. I am more attached to this one than the first which was a V6, Stella that I had for 6 years. I was upset once after a dream a had about trading her in for something else. I was sad about it in the dream. When I traded her for the 5.0, I was not that sad. lol..

I did miss
stella, and was happy when I checked back later and found she had been sold in just little over a month. I'm not sure why I love the GT more, other than it being a GT. I think maybe because I searched online for it. I wanted it in silver. The first mustang was an unplanned purchase. I did not pick her out, the salesman did. I think it was the only automatic they had at the time.

I talk to them as if they were a real horse. I sat in a 2015 a couple of weeks ago while getting Andy's oil change. I feel like I cheated on him. I tell him he's lucky I did not know about the redesign or I may have waited for one of the those.
Old 4/23/15, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
John, I love your posts. You're one of the few folks here who I really respect and can articulate their thoughts in a profound yet clear way.

I can totally understand how you felt slighted by the dealer's offer for your trade. I will never trade mine in for that same reason. It will only be sold privately, to someone who I know will take care of her. But in the dealership's defense, they can't put added value on your car because of the personalization and mods....it will be blue book (or lower) based on the VIN/trim of the car. It's not because your mods/upgrades are distasteful, it's just that to them, it provides no value. You are definitely better off selling privately......or, as I stated earlier, keep and then buy a C7

For what it's worth, your car's current mods are great. I like em!!!!
Thank you Burton…on all counts, you’re too kind!

Even today I don’t think my writing skills would impress my old grammar school teacher very much. I know they didn’t back then and I live to this day with the mental scars of the failing grades I received back then. I was the next thing to an illiterate little $hit and didn’t really give a rats a$$. Cars, girls and fishing…need I say more? As it turns out later in life I realized what a monumental mistake that decision was after coming to the realization a person must have decent writing and communication skills to function in this world. To correct my earlier ill-conceived choice, it was going to -and did- cost me money out of my pocket to square myself with what I was offered for free back then. I’m no John Steinbeck to be sure. I’m just a simple common English kind of person…who still loves fast, sexy cars and beautiful but now slower women!

I’m never sure where my mods stand with the rest of the world. I’m always hopeful they agree with everybody but in reality, that’s never going to be the case. So be it. In the end the only person that has to like them is the owner and for the most part he does.

What a dealer can offer for a car is very much a function of what the bank says its worth. Surprise, huh? Once again the banks are dictating our lives~ That’s where the cars valuation largely rests, not so much with the dealer. We all get mad as he11 at the dealer because they are the face of the deal. In reality it’s the bank behind the scene that’s dictating what our cars are worth on the secondary market as a function of what they’ll loan to a buyer. I never considered that until this round of car dealing. The guy I was working with flat out told me if not for what the bank said they will loan against my car, they would have been able to -willing to- offer me a lot more. It’s essentially the how the wholesale price of cars on the secondary market is set. There was some solace and vindication in knowing that but not a lot. The issue is if a bank is only willing to secure a 21 to 23k loan on a car like mine, the dealer has to stay pretty close to that number for an asking price. They have to assume most people will finance nearly the entire purchase price of their car. In a situation where they take mine in on trade at bank value and try to sell it at 29 or 30k, any potential buyer would have to come up with 8 to 9k out of pocket. For some that’s not a problem. For most it is. Two of the dealers told me anybody adding mods to their car should expect to retrieve only about 15% of that value back out of them. Depending on how much a person has invested over and above the bank value of the car that can represent a significant loss.

John
Old 4/23/15, 09:39 AM
I Have No Life

Thank you Burton…on all counts, you’re too kind!

Even today I don’t think my writing skills would impress my old grammar school teacher very much. I know they didn’t back then and I live to this day with the mental scars of the failing grades I received back then. I was the next thing to an illiterate little $hit and didn’t really give a rats a$$. Cars, girls and fishing…need I say more? As it turns out later in life I realized what a monumental mistake that decision was after coming to the realization a person must have decent writing and communication skills to function in this world. To correct my earlier ill-conceived choice, it was going to -and did- cost me money out of my pocket to square myself with what I was offered for free back then. I’m no John Steinbeck to be sure. I’m just a simple common English kind of person…who still loves fast, sexy cars and beautiful but now slower women!

I’m never sure where my mods stand with the rest of the world. I’m always hopeful they agree with everybody but in reality, that’s never going to be the case. So be it. In the end the only person that has to like them is the owner and for the most part he does.

What a dealer can offer for a car is very much a function of what the bank says its worth. Surprise, huh? Once again the banks are dictating our lives~ That’s where the cars valuation largely rests, not so much with the dealer. We all get mad as he11 at the dealer because they are the face of the deal. In reality it’s the bank behind the scene that’s dictating what our cars are worth on the secondary market as a function of what they’ll loan to a buyer. I never considered that until this round of car dealing. The guy I was working with flat out told me if not for what the bank said they will loan against my car, they would have been able to -willing to- offer me a lot more. It’s essentially the how the wholesale price of cars on the secondary market is set. There was some solace and vindication in knowing that but not a lot. The issue is if a bank is only willing to secure a 21 to 23k loan on a car like mine, the dealer has to stay pretty close to that number for an asking price. They have to assume most people will finance nearly the entire purchase price of their car. In a situation where they take mine in on trade at bank value and try to sell it at 29 or 30k, any potential buyer would have to come up with 8 to 9k out of pocket. For some that’s not a problem. For most it is. Two of the dealers told me anybody adding mods to their car should expect to retrieve only about 15% of that value back out of them. Depending on how much a person has invested over and above the bank value of the car that can represent a significant loss.

John
That's a fair assessment John. That's why, for the best results, someone like you and me are better off selling it privately. The benefits of that are not only monetary, but more importantly for me, I would NEED to see Marilyn go to a new owner who shared the same passion, love, detail, and care for her as I do. That's why I would NEVER trade her in. Ever. (then again, I hope to never sell her either....soooo.... lol)

Quick Reply: Emotioally Attached to Your Mustang?