Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Emotioally Attached to Your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/15, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Emotioally Attached to Your Mustang?

Question: How emotionally attached are you to your car? I didn’t think I was super attached until late last week. Here’s my silly story if you have a few minutes!

My brother works in the shop for a large multi-store/brand dealership here in the Twin Cities. Several weeks ago he dangled a Roush RS3 in front of me for a pretty decent price. I was set to pounce but while we were working out the details of a deal, another salesman sold it. As nice a car as it was/is, in retrospect I’m glad that happened. However, the experience opened Pandora’s Box. I started looking at GT500’s and came close to working out a deal on one down in Hickory, NC. We couldn’t get together on the last couple thousand bucks and being the cordial but stubborn German that I am, I politely walked away leaving my offer open to them. My brother ripped me a new one and told me if I had any intensions of spending that kind of money on a car, there are better options. Not the best delivery of message even though well intentioned. After I regained my composure and pulled my head out of the jar full of GT500 Kool aide, I went to work researching several choices he suggested and a few more I thought of. In the end the C6 and C7 Corvettes are the biggest and best bang for similar GT500 buck hands down. Most, including the GT500 are not even comparable in their performance envelopes.

I went to work looking and found a few ’13 C6 Grand Sport LT3’s with around 5k miles for well under 50k, I mean WELL under. I was stoked. I worked a screaming deal on one at a dealer that was within walking distance of my house. On Friday I left work around 11 to go and finalize the deal. On my 28 mile drive home I started to wonder exactly what in the he11 I was really doing and became slightly emotional over trading off the Mustang (I know, totally irrational because it’s a just a car, right, well there it is!). To make matters worse, two separate times in those 28 miles I got enthusiastic thumbs up waves. When I got home and took all my personal effects out of the car I was dam near in a cold sweat. What am I doing, I thought? I went inside, sat down and had lunch and just thought for a couple hours (A car salesman’s worst nightmare coming true, a customer giving thought to a purchase rather than acting on impulse!). My conclusion was there were things about the C6 that were not ideal and I was trying to convince myself, they would be OK. Not true. When right, the object of one’s fancy grabs them and doesn’t let go. One does not have to convince himself of the object, right? I also found out however irrational it might be, I’m emotionally attached to El Pita (Yes, The Pain In The A$$). I walked over to the dealer to hat in hand and tail between the legs feeling like a 12 year old boy who just cussed in church and was about to realize his comeuppance and proceeded to decline the deal. God I felt like a total heal. Naturally I was given the full court press by two salesman and the dealership owner for 30 plus minutes. In spite of that I felt relieved afterwards. In the end I know my relief wasn’t all because I concluded that particular Grand Sport wasn’t the right one for me, I think a lot of it was due to what I think is emotional attachment to my first real muscle car that I customized and actually give a tinkers dam about. I couldn’t bear the thought of it getting tossed into the wholesale car pool and mistreated in such a callous way. It might have been different if I had found a private party to sell it to that I knew cared as much about it as I do, but not as a trade in, not that way. It felt like I was about to shoot my best old pal dog right in the head. Stupid and irrational, right? I concluded I’m gonna pay off El Pita in the next year and keep it for as long as it catches my eye. The search for the Stingray I owe myself will commence next fall/winter. I’m good with that~ I’m also good with calling my brother an A$$hole for rekindling this fire in me…

Do any of you guys feel this way about your Mustang or am I the odd man out, and I mean ODD!

John

Last edited by Horspla; 4/20/15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 4/20/15, 12:22 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
My Mustang is named 'Little Red'. We talk about him as if he were one of our children.
Old 4/20/15, 12:30 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I became emotionally attached to my Mustang before I even bought it or knew what color I'd get.
Old 4/20/15, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I was really emotionally attached to my 08, maybe because it was my first car. But that made me over protective over the car, to the point that I wouldn't drive the car for fear of a scratch or pothole. As the years of ownership rolled by that over protectiveness started to wear and I wouldn't be too upset if I found a small scratch after driving. When I traded it in for my '14 I didn't shed a tear, but there was some sadness for letting go of my first car. Now I am emotionally attached to my '14 but not in the same way. I look back when I park her but I realized that at the end of the day its just a car that is meant to be driven and enjoyed.
Old 4/20/15, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Question: How emotionally attached are you to your car? I didn’t think I was super attached until late last week. Here’s my silly story if you have a few minutes! My brother works in the shop for a large multi-store/brand dealership here in the Twin Cities. Several weeks ago he dangled a Roush RS3 in front of me for a pretty decent price. I was set to pounce but while we were working out the details of a deal, another salesman sold it. As nice a car as it was/is, in retrospect I’m glad that happened. However, the experience opened Pandora’s Box. I started looking at GT500’s and came close to working out a deal on one down in Hickory, NC. We couldn’t get together on the last couple thousand bucks and being the cordial but stubborn German that I am, I politely walked away leaving my offer open to them. My brother ripped me a new one and told me if I had any intensions of spending that kind of money on a car, there are better options. Not the best delivery of message even though well intentioned. After I regained my composure and pulled my head out of the jar full of GT500 Kool aide, I went to work researching several choices he suggested and a few more I thought of. In the end the C6 and C7 Corvettes are the biggest and best bang for similar GT500 buck hands down. Most, including the GT500 are not even comparable in their performance envelopes. I went to work looking and found a few ’13 C6 Grand Sport LT3’s with around 5k miles for well under 50k, I mean WELL under. I was stoked. I worked a screaming deal on one at a dealer that was within walking distance of my house. On Friday I left work around 11 to go and finalize the deal. On my 28 mile drive home I started to wonder exactly what in the he11 I was really doing and became slightly emotional over trading off the Mustang (I know, totally irrational because it’s a just a car, right, well there it is!). To make matters worse, two separate times in those 28 miles I got enthusiastic thumbs up waves. When I got home and took all my personal effects out of the car I was dam near in a cold sweat. What am I doing, I thought? I went inside, sat down and had lunch and just thought for a couple hours (A car salesman’s worst nightmare coming true, a customer giving thought to a purchase rather than acting on impulse!). My conclusion was there were things about the C6 that were not ideal and I was trying to convince myself, they would be OK. Not true. When right, the object of one’s fancy grabs them and doesn’t let go. One does not have to convince himself of the object, right? I also found out however irrational it might be, I’m emotionally attached to El Pita (Yes, The Pain In The A$$). I walked over to the dealer to hat in hand and tail between the legs feeling like a 12 year old boy who just cussed in church and was about to realize his comeuppance and proceeded to decline the deal. God I felt like a total heal. Naturally I was given the full court press by two salesman and the dealership owner for 30 plus minutes. In spite of that I felt relieved afterwards. In the end I know my relief wasn’t all because I concluded that particular Grand Sport wasn’t the right one for me, I think a lot of it was due to what I think is emotional attachment to my first real muscle car that I customized and actually give a tinkers dam about. I couldn’t bear the thought of it getting tossed into the wholesale car pool and mistreated in such a callous way. It might have been different if I had found a private party to sell it to that I knew cared as much about it as I do, but not as a trade in, not that way. It felt like I was about to shoot my best old pal dog right in the head. Stupid and irrational, right? I concluded I’m gonna pay off El Pita in the next year and keep it for as long as it catches my eye. The search for the Stingray I owe myself will commence next fall/winter. I’m good with that~ I’m also good with calling my brother an A$$hole for rekindling this fire in me… Do any of you guys feel this way about your Mustang or am I the odd man out, and I mean ODD! John
I

agree with you totally in have attached to several of my Mustangs and it's always been hard to let them go but my 14 I have now will be passed to my son and my 15 to my daughter. When you put a lot of time money sweat and blood into a car it become a member of the family. I plan on buying a 67 fast back shell and building it and that car I won't be getting rid of till I'm no longer on this earth
Old 4/20/15, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, since I suffer from Mechanophilia, lol.
Old 4/20/15, 03:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are not alone. My '14 is the first car I ever factory-ordered. The six week wait between order and delivery was not unlike waiting for the delivery of a baby (but I would note that my GT responds MUCH better to my input than either of my kids ).

When the time comes, I'm sure it will be hard to trade her in...

However, my relationship with the '14 doesn't come anywhere near my feelings for my '65. This is a car I spent months restoring and have made many memorable trips in. A few weeks ago, I realized how bonded I am to that car when my son decided to park it on the hill in front of our house (did I mention the '65 has a manual T5 and my son doesn't know much about parking manual cars). 150' down the hill and smack- right into a neighbor's Expedition! Every morning I go to the garage, get in my '14, and stare longingly at the empty spot in the garage (supposed to be getting the "old gal" back on Wednesday).

I don't think its just Mustangs though- I've owned over 60 cars and have fond memories/attachments to all of them.
Old 4/20/15, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You just have to go with your gut feeling. If it's absolutely what you want, there won't be any question. My first car was 72 mustang grande, which I worked for every penny to buy that car at 17 yrs old. It was everything to me. Then when I turned about 19 or so, I talked myself into trading up for something newer, only to realize it was a bad move. I still regret doing that. I should have kept it for awhile longer.
Old 4/20/15, 04:10 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangfan410
I was really emotionally attached to my 08, maybe because it was my first car. But that made me over protective over the car, to the point that I wouldn't drive the car for fear of a scratch or pothole. As the years of ownership rolled by that over protectiveness started to wear and I wouldn't be too upset if I found a small scratch after driving. When I traded it in for my '14 I didn't shed a tear, but there was some sadness for letting go of my first car. Now I am emotionally attached to my '14 but not in the same way. I look back when I park her but I realized that at the end of the day its just a car that is meant to be driven and enjoyed.
This right here, except I did shed a tear when I let my 05 go haha
Old 4/20/15, 05:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I would say yes, I am - I have been known to do a little "Days of Thunder" car talk right before every track day. The pep talk "we're gonna do great tomorrow, I'll drive you well fi you take care of me too"

It's worked thus far and I plan to keep doing that.
Old 4/20/15, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I would say that when I first got my Mustang I was pretty emotionally attached to it. Now, not at all. It's a good car mind you and I still take great care of it and all that but in my case there are things more important in my life than a car. I intend to keep mine about another year and then I'm going to get something rugged, reliable and cheap that will last me a long time. Maybe a decade or so down the road a weekend car will be an option but I won't ever again have a sports coupe as a daily driver and certainly not a brand new one. They just aren't worth the money.
Old 4/20/15, 05:22 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Emotionally? No. Financially? Yes.
Old 4/20/15, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I've owned several cars. Two of them in particular I'd like to have back, if only because the Muskrat shouldn't have *ever* been sold in the first place (I'm a dumb ***) and the other because the '78 Mustang II was in *really* good shape, just needed to get that stupid v6 drivetrain out of it and stick a 5.0 with an AOD in it.

But I wasn't attached. I liked them fine, but obviously, not that emotionally attached, 'cause I don't have them.

The best freaking car I've ever owned is a '87 Mark VII. The Powerful Mark VII. Mustang underneath, Lincoln up top, and seriously, it was a tank. I didn't have but one real problem, and that was the egr valve quit. Put another on, tada. Tank, I tell ya.

Still, not emotionally attached, even though it was the best car I've ever had (so far) in just about every way... Don't have it.

Even my beloved motorcycle, Ride, is not something that if push came to shove I wouldn't feel all that badly about letting go. I've put a lot of work into this motorcycle, and I'm proud of her, but still... she's old, semi-rare (for some parts, that's a problem), and she's a bit of work to keep going, seems. If I had to, she could go.

But there is no way... NO. WAY. That I will ever let Awesome out of my hands willingly. This is the car I wanted before I knew what I wanted. I can't explain it better than that. All my other cars took a long time to get 'used' to. Seat position, pedals, where things were... I sat in Awesome and it was virtually immediate, this was my car. Almost as if I was destined to find her after all these dang years.

I will not give her up easily. And definitely not voluntarily. No frackin' way. I will admit, though, she is 'just a car' to others, and as such, if totaled in an accident... I would indeed have to just walk away. Because that's how she's built, and worth. Insurance don't care. And I can't pay to restore her, and the subsequent salvage/reconditioned title/insurance thereto would be problematic.

Here's to the idea that I never, ever have to deal with that. 'Cause I am enamored with Awesome. She puts a smile on my face every time I see her. I feel the *silliness* of that goofy grin she causes and then say "You know what? I really don't care what others think. She's my baby. I'mma have her forever."

...that is, unless there is 6+ digits involved in monetary acquisition. I love my car... but I ain't stupid, y'know.

Last edited by houtex; 4/20/15 at 05:44 PM.
Old 4/20/15, 06:02 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
I also believe it's more than just Mustangs us car nuts can get attached to just about any type and make of car. With that said I always wanted a Boss and figured I'd keep it for a long time if I could ever get one. But knowing her build date was the same day as my youngest daughter's birthday and how my daughter's named her Miss Scarlett. That pretty much sealed the deal and I'm gonna keep her as long as I can! :-)
Old 4/20/15, 06:08 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Too much so, myself. I had a little fender-bender on the weekend and there's a tiny crease to be repaired, some paint to be done...in a week everything will be right and the damage forgotten. And I suffered over it for a day or so more than an adult man should admit. LOL

Last edited by DRB; 4/20/15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 4/20/15, 06:23 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Getting emotionally attached isn't hard to do. In fact emotion has a lot to do with why we choose certain cars in the first place. Being older than most on this board [ I'll be 71 tomorrow ] I've had several cars over the years that I still have a warm spot for. Presently I have three cars, two Mustangs and a '72 'Cuda. One Mustang is an '01 six cyl. five speed that I use for everyday and just about all the time in the winter especially when the roads are salty or wet and/or snowy. It's not fast, but it's been stone ax reliable and with good tires and front and rear anti-roll bars it handles surprisingly well and is just generally fun to drive. I've had the '72 'Cuda for over ten years now and up until last year when I bought the '14 Mustang GT I drove it quite a bit including a few autocrosses. Of the the three it definitely gets the most public attention. With an aluminum headed small block and a five speed TKO it runs pretty well too. Now the the new '14 GT gets most of my affections/attention. It really is a pretty impressive piece of work. My girlfriend and I took it to New Orleans for the Indy Car race recently and it was a joy to drive. I expect to keep it for a really long time.
Old 4/20/15, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
There are a few cars I wish I would not have sold. If I ever sell my 06 I am sure I will feel sad for long while. I've never owned a car longer than this one. 80k mile now
Old 4/20/15, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SilrBult
Getting emotionally attached isn't hard to do. In fact emotion has a lot to do with why we choose certain cars in the first place. Being older than most on this board [ I'll be 71 tomorrow ] I've had several cars over the years that I still have a warm spot for. Presently I have three cars, two Mustangs and a '72 'Cuda. One Mustang is an '01 six cyl. five speed that I use for everyday and just about all the time in the winter especially when the roads are salty or wet and/or snowy. It's not fast, but it's been stone ax reliable and with good tires and front and rear anti-roll bars it handles surprisingly well and is just generally fun to drive. I've had the '72 'Cuda for over ten years now and up until last year when I bought the '14 Mustang GT I drove it quite a bit including a few autocrosses. Of the the three it definitely gets the most public attention. With an aluminum headed small block and a five speed TKO it runs pretty well too. Now the the new '14 GT gets most of my affections/attention. It really is a pretty impressive piece of work. My girlfriend and I took it to New Orleans for the Indy Car race recently and it was a joy to drive. I expect to keep it for a really long time.
First of all happy birthday! ..your response shows the temper that only comes with age in my opinion. These are only machines but they absolutely do evoke something deeper in some people. Its in explicable, makes zero sense, but there it is...it exists, at least in some people. Just so you know, I'm 52 and still have the first new vehicle I ever bought, an '86 F150 4x4.

I know somebody said they have far more important things in their life that trump a car. Amen to that. We all do, or at least I hope so! If not, that's one sorrowful and empty life. My point behind the original post was not to compare feelings for human life to a car, but rather, do you get attached emotionally? I do...

John

Last edited by Horspla; 4/20/15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 4/20/15, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
This is a touchy subject for me this week. As some of you know, I lost my first, and only Mustang (thus far) to someone's poor decision to use their cell phone while driving. I have been a Mustang enthusiast for many years before I could drive. 1991 (I was 8) was the year that I was first exposed to the Mustang. My friend and I stumbled upon his neighbor's '70 coupe in grabber orange. My friend just told me that he had a ton of old Mustangs. We went to the door to see if we could meet the owner. He showed us his 9 car garage full of bumper to bumper classic Mustangs (in pristine condition). I fell in love! I became obsessed! From then on, I wanted to get my own Mustang! It took me til 2007 to get Whinnie, my Tungsten '07 V6 Pony. I have had many great memories with that car. It was my canvas for my artistic expression over the years. The last year or so I had brought her back to mostly stock looking. But, then, a guy decided to rear end me, totaling the car. The last two weeks have been a blur. I have had therapy to help heal my back, neck, and arm pain. At the same time, I have had to deal with numerous calls to the guy's insurance company, rental car company, and doctors as well as trying to find another Mustang to replace Whinnie. There were things I would have chosen differently for my first Mustang, among them the Tungsten Grey is a pain to maintain. Nonetheless, I was extremely attached to my Mustang (even though it wasn't perfect, she was my daily driver). It finally hit me today that she is going away. I made the call to the auction company to have them come and pick her up. I cleaned her out today, too.
Sorry for the long read.
Old 4/20/15, 10:35 PM
V6 Member

I vacuum it out almost everyday........ love this **** car.

Quick Reply: Emotioally Attached to Your Mustang?