Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Electronic Stability Control on Summer tires??

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/11, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Electronic Stability Control on Summer tires??

Guys something doesnt add up

Brembo package comes with awesome piston vented calipers and unique stability control apparently and "upgraded-this-upgraded-that" 19 rims and added "unique" stability control..but on summer tires??? I read that this package is good in snow in preventing slipping and loss of control but why summer tires? is it really safe in the rain and snow? why wouldn't ford put M+S?
Old 10/5/11, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGAN
Guys something doesnt add up

Brembo package comes with awesome piston vented calipers and unique stability control apparently and "upgraded-this-upgraded-that" 19 rims and added "unique" stability control..but on summer tires??? I read that this package is good in snow in preventing slipping and loss of control but why summer tires? is it really safe in the rain and snow? why wouldn't ford put M+S?
It's a handling package. For best acceleration, braking and cornering, you want sticky, rigid rubber. Stability control is required by law as of the 2008 model year. The unique tuning of the brembo package allows for more wheel slip and yaw before becoming active. It allows the driver a little more room on the envelope without an intrusive computer destroying all your momentum.

The compound used on summer tires is designed for temperatures above 50 degrees. Below about 45 degrees they harden up and provide little to no tracking on snow or ice.

You would be expected to purchase winter tires with this package if you intend to drive it on wintery roads.
Old 10/6/11, 02:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
jason thanks so much, yeah i guess i have to swap the tires for m+s.
Old 10/6/11, 03:13 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, summer tires are no bueno in the snow. Grab a set of extra rims w/winter tires, or better yet, scoop up a nice 4WD beater for the cold months and leave the 5.0 in the garage
Old 10/6/11, 08:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most summer tires are good down to extended 40 degree temps.