Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drove a Base Gt W 3.73s

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/10, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Drove a Base Gt W 3.73s

Went into a dealer last month. Talked about the car I would consider and he said he would place the order without anything down. Thought "yeah right"

Got a call yesterday, "the car you ordered is in" WHAT??!!! Base GT in Kona with 3.73's

Showed up and it had a sold sticker in it. They said they did that so no one else would drive it. 30 miles and it had the factory road test sticker on it.

Drove it. Clutch grabs really low and took a couple of starts to get smooth. 3.73s aren't bad but there was rush hour traffic and really couldn't get into the throttle much. But it does get out of it's own way. Very deceiving but not much different then the '08..just faster.

The engine is VERY Smooth!!! Could have balanced a quarter on the plenum cover. Rides/handles great and next to no road noise. Did I say the engine was SMOOTH? Starts to get into the power band about 4k. std brakes work just fine.

Not really prepared to do any dealing but they asked if they should hold it. Told them I needed to talk to the person that was interested in my '08 first and to put it on the lot. They said they would match the price I was asking as a trade.

Price Xplan $29640 + the usual fees. Have not gotten the brochure yet with the coupon. Couldn't remeber the DORA code. Only incentives are the $500 and the usual rates.

What to do?
Old 7/1/10, 10:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
They sound pretty high pressure there... don't be rushed.

Sales people rely on you feeling like you owe them some kind of answer or justification for your decision (which they will try to knock down)... in reality, you owe them nothing.

There's nothing wrong with an '08...if you're not convinced that you need the car now, just walk away and come back when you're sure.
Old 7/2/10, 04:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Doesn't sound 'high pressure' to me. Sounds like they want to sell the car.
Old 7/2/10, 05:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They are gonna buy your trade for your asking price in a private sale??? That sounds pretty sweet to me!
Old 7/2/10, 05:52 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds fair to me. It's your money, but I love mine.
Old 7/2/10, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did you order a brochure? As I understand it they should be able to punch in some information and see if you qualify. The program code is 33142 I believe. Might be worth a shot anyway, possibly an extra 750 for just a 5 or 10 minute check.
Old 7/2/10, 07:53 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Even if you didn't receive a brochure, you may still be on Ford's list of eligible customers. Have the dealer look up your name in "ConsumerTrac." That will show any private offers that you're eligible for, such as the $750 brochure fulfillment offer.
Old 7/2/10, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you waiting for? Buy that sucker!
Old 7/2/10, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys.

Thats what really threw me for a loop..I stopped in, told them what I wanted and they put in the order.

Turns out that the dealership owner went to the same high school as I did but graduated a couple of years before me. Didn't realize that until yesterday. Strange. I knew who he was then but we didn't hang out.

I let the person that I work with know the situation. She will not be able to buy it for about a month but she is serious so I'll wait. I think that is the right thing to do.

If the dealership sells it, I can order another.
Old 7/2/10, 07:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell yeah! If they will give you your asking price for your car and you are doing x-plan and you are ready to buy then don't wait, JUMP FAST!!!

Even if you aren't on the coupon list it's only $750, maybe they will give you a concession and give you half of the coupon deal just to make the sale.
Old 7/2/10, 08:41 PM

If there are multiple dealers in the area that take Xplan, use that as leverage. I told them, "Hey, I can get the Xplan price at dealers 1,2, and 3. Give me a reason to buy from you." First one went straight invoice. I'm going from dealer to dealer and am down to 250 under invoice and dropping If you don't NEED your 5.0 immediately, try to do better than Xplan.
Old 7/3/10, 09:26 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
If they are going to give you what you wanted for your 08 on trade in, i would jump all over this.
Old 7/3/10, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmm have to agree if they want to give you the cash on a private sale and match it ??? heh that's a done deal.

Now of course, I would probably wait if the buyer was serious and wanted my car. That's just the kind of person I am. But if your buyer is not serious........
Old 7/3/10, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

The person that wants to buy it it very serious. She just has to close on selling a house and it's a done deal. Regardless of the deal the delearship gives me on the '11, I don't think I could do that and trade it when I told her she had first option. Just not right.

She hasn't bugged me about it because she didn't think I wanted to sell and didn't have the $$$ yet.

Now I just have to wait. If the car is gone, I'll order another.
Old 7/3/10, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
What are you waiting for? Buy that sucker!
Waiting on all the beta testers to shake them out first. And for the after market to catch up then finally for the customer incentive offers to get sweet.
Old 7/3/10, 10:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
Waiting on all the beta testers to shake them out first. And for the after market to catch up then finally for the customer incentive offers to get sweet.
This
Old 7/4/10, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know how sales tax works in your state, but in TN you only pay tax on the trade difference, not the full sales price. If this is true where you live and the dealer is offering you a the same price you can get privately, it will cost you a lot of $ in taxes if you sell your stang and buy the 2011 without a trade.
Old 7/4/10, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lodom
I don't know how sales tax works in your state, but in TN you only pay tax on the trade difference, not the full sales price. If this is true where you live and the dealer is offering you a the same price you can get privately, it will cost you a lot of $ in taxes if you sell your stang and buy the 2011 without a trade.
It works the same here, I believe. Great point.

I'm going to talk to the buyer on Tues. Maybe, I can convince the dealership to sell it to the buyer I have as a CPO with the 6yr/100k warranty. She can get into it with a payment and not a huge cash outlay. Don't know is she will go for it, but it's worth a shot.

No idea how that works but the car is perfect as it sits.

Anyone know if I would need to take the Borla axle backs off for it to be certified as a CPO car?
Old 7/5/10, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Buy. Do it. Do it.
Old 7/5/10, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

It looks like it MAY happen. We'll see what the next week brings.

Quick Reply: Drove a Base Gt W 3.73s