Sponsored By:

Dropping the new 5.0L in a 2005-2009

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/09, 06:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stang7300
Blasphemy!
Think guys, who in the world will want to buy a car like that if you ever have to sell it later down the road ? Nothing like originality and a bit of well tasted mods. Just my .02 cents
Old 12/29/09, 06:30 PM
Cobra R Member

I think the best bet would be to simply supercharge your current 4.6 and get equal to better power of the new 5.0. Engine swaps are so expensive and not worth it for a car as new as yours.

My friend has an '08 GT that he supercharged he is making about 430HP on a conservative tune. This car is an auto with no other mods just the supercharger and it is a great daily driver that runs 11 sec times in the 1/4
Old 12/30/09, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool "Good Idea"

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I think the best bet would be to simply supercharge your current 4.6 and get equal to better power of the new 5.0. Engine swaps are so expensive and not worth it for a car as new as yours.

My friend has an '08 GT that he supercharged he is making about 430HP on a conservative tune. This car is an auto with no other mods just the supercharger and it is a great daily driver that runs 11 sec times in the 1/4
Have to totally agree with this great possibilty! Would just love to put a Saleen system in ours! And then have the same or even more H.P. than a new stock 2011 5.0 and in a lighter Stang! That could be a very fun street sleeper for just a few grand of additional investment? CalStang
Old 12/30/09, 01:34 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by CalStang'07
Have to totally agree with this great possibilty! Would just love to put a Saleen system in ours! And then have the same or even more H.P. than a new stock 2011 5.0 and in a lighter Stang! That could be a very fun street sleeper for just a few grand of additional investment? CalStang
Adding a blower adds weight. A lot of times people add blowers, 6 speed trans, big rims, and big brakes and then quote stock curb weights. Doesn't work like that.
Old 12/30/09, 02:27 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't see anyone doing this swap unless its shop-related to be honest. I'd LOVE to do this swap because I love my bodystyle, but the 5.0 with a little F/I is going to be a monster. If I also did this swap, i'd want the 6 speed tranny as well. To make life easier and everything worth it, a full motor/tranny/ecu swap would probably be best. I wouldn't want to deal with the ecu issues which are bound to rise.
Old 12/30/09, 02:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it would run to swap the motor (which would be VERY expensive) there are stroker kits for the 4.6L 3v out there, and the power you get would be over 400 hp. JDM has a 298 kit with L/Ts, heads, cams, tune and its 400 to the tires!! It was in MM&FF a while ago!! Check out the link below! A SWEET SETUP & my dream setup!!!! 401 rwhp and 379 rwtq!!!

Muscle Mustang & Fast Ford Cam Phaser Lockout install by JDM
Old 1/26/11, 12:10 AM

what are the physical dimensions of the 2011 5.0 AKA coyote? they had to move the strut towers in 07 to fit the 5.4L iron truck engine for the GT500. so 05/06 mustangs are limited on how wide a engine you can put in em.

i own a 06 4.6L. i'm putting my money toward forged internals and twin garrett turbos (street).
i might just buy a bullet proof bottom end depending on cost.

the new 5.0 is great if your starting a new project, but the cost of the PCM make it an expensive upgrade.

to buy a 2011 mustang? have you seen the rear end on these? yes they are more aerodynamic but god are they ugly.
i say screw aero and give me brute torque!
Old 1/26/11, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Well there is something...

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/engine/en8240.html

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/engine/en8130.html
Old 1/26/11, 01:31 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Hopefully somebody will come out with a retro-fit kit and putting a 5.0 in an earlier S-197 will become mainly a bolt in affair, the new engine is nothing short of fantastic, but in the mean time if somebody is willing to forego an aluminum block, getting the CI 5.0 and building it up with FRPP's top end kit (with whatever people are calling the next gen CNC 3v heads) isn't a bad way to go as its essentially a 4.6 that you can knock out to 5.3 liters and still use plethora of stock components.

Does anybody know if the CI 5.0 has knock sensor bosses and oil system that is compatible with the phasers on the 3v heads?
Old 1/26/11, 01:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by sscobra
Some want the nice engine with the better looking body.
......and some just think that the '10 -'11 bodystyle just better suits the nice 5.0 engine. To each his own.
Old 1/26/11, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

Even if it is physically possible to make the swap, what is the resale value of your car afterwards? What if you spend $15,000 for the swap and it increases the value of your car by $3,000?

Here is what I'd do in order of preference:

1) Buy a 2011+ GT and learn to like the styling. It's taken a while, but I'm actually starting to prefer it over the ’05–’09.

2) Upgrade your current car. For what you'd spend on a swap you can buy a lot of performance parts.

3) Sit tight until we start seeing some direction on the 2014. You may like it.

It would be different if we were talking about a Coyote in a ’69 pro-touring Mustang and not a daily driver.
Old 1/26/11, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by R.A.F.A.L.E.
I'll NEVER buy a Camaro. Too heavy in the twisties. Little heritage compared to the Mustang. No question. I was just curious as to the compatibility of the 5.0L with the 2005-2009 cause the new design is not so nice + that will be easier to ship a new engine over to Europe rather than a whole new car.
You say that as if it were fact..when it is just an opinion
Old 1/29/11, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I much prefer the new look to the 05-09. I waited 5 years for that body style to go away to buy another, let alone that awful interior. I couldn't stand the boxy shape. I think the '11 is the cats meow. I love the rounded edges on the new style. The 5.0 is redonkulous. My 2 centz
Old 1/29/11, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
You say that as if it were fact..when it is just an opinion
Absolutely. My biggest gripe with 2005-2009 s197 is the ghetto booty-esque, J. Lo on steroids, rear end. I much prefer the trimmer, athletic rear of the 2010+. This isn't fact; just IMHO. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 1/29/11, 09:00 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by kingofhearts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yup. You can keep that curb draggin' diaper mobile. I don't care if it has a jet engine in it.

Old 1/29/11, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I have seen a number of people insult the back end of the new Mustang, and I know you are entitled to your opinion, but we really do not need to start anything here. I do not want to offend, but the 11 and 12 are far superior to the 05-09 years. The rear of the newer mustang looks far better than the older design. I do not know which car I would buy if the 09 were the only mustang available now. I have had more than my fair share of old looking square bumpers. The far superior things in the 11s and 12s give plenty more real things to be said about the older stangs. This thread has been civil so far, but please no more comments like diaper butt. The newer cars are better but I do not go around on the 05-09 part of the forum saying how ugly and slow they are.

Back to the point though, don't get a new engine when you can put some improved internals and a reiable supercharger. I would do that first before getting a new engine.
Old 1/29/11, 09:31 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
and I know you are entitled to your opinion,
That's right.

And I didn't call it a diaper butt.

Ford screwed up and I am far from the only one that has expressed that. They had numerous options and chose are particularly controversial one. That's not my fault, but as a consumer - in America - I have the right to express my opinion about their design - as numerous others did previous to me.

I think its cool the guy wants to drop a motor in.

As for me, I'd drop a 302 in with stacks. But that's my opinion.
Old 1/29/11, 09:38 PM
V6 Member

in car craft or hotrod , hollywood hotrods built a roadster for raybestos using the new motor, so it can be worked out. They did say they did not plumb the electronics for the vari cam function. I'm sure someone like painless is working on it right now.
Old 1/29/11, 09:48 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by bob
Does anybody know if the CI 5.0 has knock sensor bosses and oil system that is compatible with the phasers on the 3v heads?
I believe it was that 5.0 article that said the 5.0 TiVCT uses more of a 'cam torque' action and less of a hydraulic action, and therefore they did not have to beef up the oil pump.

Whereas the 3v VCT is all hydraulics.

Interestingly, one item needing less oiling are the VCT phasers on the camshafts. Thanks to the cam torque actuation strategy, the phasers do not require high-pressure oil from the pump, but are instead fed bleed oil from the front cam bearing. Had CTA not been used, the oil pump would have needed enlargement to keep a relatively large volume of pressurized oil ready to go next to the phasers in the cylinder heads. And that would have cost horsepower.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...te_oiling.html

Camshaft movement in traditional TiVCT systems is accomplished by porting pressurized oil into the cam phasers attached to the drive end of each camshaft. These have two each advance and retard chambers to physically move the cams. Pressurized oil is routed into the chambers by a shuttle valve and solenoid actuator under computer control.

The Coyote's TiVCT benefits from cam torque actuation. Instead of high-pressure oil energizing the cam phasers, CTA uses the valvespring energy torquing through the camshafts. At certain periods of cam rotation, valvespring pressure tries to advance the cams, and retard them at other points. This snappy back and forth energy is traditionally dissipated uselessly into the timing chains, but with CTA it's used to power the cam phasers. Engine oil is still used to fill the cam phaser chambers and thus hold the new cam position, but not physically advance or retard the cam-that work is done strictly by cam torque from the valvesprings. As such, there is no hardware in CTA. It is only a strategy.

In fact, in exchange for some crafty thinking and hard-won computer software, there are less hardware and cylinder-head-design headaches with CTA. The control mechanism for shuttling oil in and out of the phasers is a simple solenoid because the three-way shuttle valve is not required. High-pressure oil is also not needed, so the engine's oil pump can be downsized and horsepower saved. Nor are dedicated oil passages to the phasers required. Instead, the Coyote's TiVCT with CTA system siphons off bleed oil from the nearest cam journal.

[Looking much like the Three-Valve part, the Coyote gerotor-style oil pump was enlarged by lengthening it 6 mm to provide adequate oil flow and pressure at the Coyote's high rpm, and with the small loss posed by the piston squirters.]

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/29/11 at 10:00 PM.
Old 1/29/11, 10:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by R.A.F.A.L.E.
I'll NEVER buy a Camaro. Too heavy in the twisties. Little heritage compared to the Mustang. No question. I was just curious as to the compatibility of the 5.0L with the 2005-2009 cause the new design is not so nice + that will be easier to ship a new engine over to Europe rather than a whole new car.
Also consider the interior, the 2010+ blows the 05-09 out of the water, IMO. My 05 interior just feels cheap compared to my 11.

Quick Reply: Dropping the new 5.0L in a 2005-2009