Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

drag race?

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/13, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drag race?

I was thinking about going to lucas oil drag raceway tomorrow for wild wednesday. I have never drag raced before. what are some of the worst things you guys have seen happen at a drag race with stock cars? What rookie mistakes do you see often that i could try to avoid? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 6/18/13, 04:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The list of goofy things people who have never raced before do at the race track is endless!

Last Friday out at the track there was a guy in a chebby truck who thought he was in a top fuel car and did a burnout about 100 feet past the start line.

So many people in street cars with street tires rolling through the water box and stringing water all the way up to the start line.

Lots and lots of rookie mistakes.

Best thing to do is go watch closely to what others are doing for a while before you try a run. And see if you can find someone to mentor you at the track, there is always someone willing to help out a new guy. Some tracks even have a crew member that will guide you through the procedures.
Old 6/18/13, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Send me a PM if you decide to go, I might check it out with you
Old 6/18/13, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most common mistake that every single street car makes their first time at the track (myself included my first time), is thinking that a track is like the street in terms of trying to launch at way too high of an RPM. You'll spin like crazy. And while a track is generally going to have good prep, it's a completely different feel than the street, and might even feel more slick to you than the road does. So be careful. I saw a 13 Mustang almost eat the wall right near the starting line a few weeks ago because they spun like crazy out of the hole and didn't get out of it.

Also, if anything feels even the slightest bit wrong, don't be afraid to bail on the run. Your first time down the track, just launch really gently and don't try to run all out. Get a few runs in to feel what it's like.
Old 6/18/13, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The list of goofy things people who have never raced before do at the race track is endless!

Last Friday out at the track there was a guy in a chebby truck who thought he was in a top fuel car and did a burnout about 100 feet past the start line.

So many people in street cars with street tires rolling through the water box and stringing water all the way up to the start line.

Lots and lots of rookie mistakes.

Best thing to do is go watch closely to what others are doing for a while before you try a run. And see if you can find someone to mentor you at the track, there is always someone willing to help out a new guy. Some tracks even have a crew member that will guide you through the procedures.
I always get a kick out of those with street tires who think that billowing smoke engulging the entire starting line means they're going to get great traction, when it's just the opposite. Once you start seeing smoke during a burnout on a street tire, you're actually going to kill traction. In fact, other than a quick spin to clean the tires, a burnout just really isn't neccessary with a street tire.
Old 6/18/13, 07:19 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by db2797

I always get a kick out of those with street tires who think that billowing smoke engulging the entire starting line means they're going to get great traction, when it's just the opposite. Once you start seeing smoke during a burnout on a street tire, you're actually going to kill traction. In fact, other than a quick spin to clean the tires, a burnout just really isn't neccessary with a street tire.
This^^^ see smoke? Stop burnin them.
Old 6/18/13, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Been a long time since I have been to a drag strip, but back when I went if you were over 100mph trap speed you needed a helmet... not sure that is still the case (probably varies track to track as well) but worth noting if you have not been before, as these cars EASILY break 100mph

Agree with others regarding a little tire spin prior to the run to clean off the tires and thats all you need on street tires.

Don't put it in reverse accidentally instead of first
Old 6/18/13, 09:05 PM
GT Member

thank you guys. if i am faster than 14 sec i need a snell helmut. my brother in law gave me one to borrow.
Old 6/18/13, 11:03 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by erouch
thank you guys. if i am faster than 14 sec i need a snell helmut. my brother in law gave me one to borrow.
14's??? Thats v6 status
Old 6/19/13, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

if you run 14's in a gt we need to have a chat
Old 6/19/13, 09:14 AM
GT Member

i was just stating the rules. i hope i dont run 14.
Old 6/19/13, 09:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good luck..and be safe
Old 6/19/13, 10:44 AM

Question I have, is it better to launch and run with traction control on/off/sport or all off? I got beat by a pontiac because I spun out at the line and never made it up. I was in sport mode. Also, I have heard to start to unclutch when you see the last yellow ball.
Old 6/19/13, 10:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Probably about right to start launch as the las yellow lights... But he R/T won't affect your time or trap speed that is recorded, only matters for who crosses the line first. Timing starts when you roll pas the start line. You can get a tiny bit faster times if you stage a bit further back if they let you.

I would leave traction control completely off as I like to be in complete control
Old 6/19/13, 11:41 AM
GT Member

i was looking at my helmut and on the outside it has a snell dot approved sticker but on the inside it says snell 2000. in the rules say snell 2005. will i be ok?
Old 6/19/13, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i was looking at my helmut and on the outside it has a snell dot approved sticker but on the inside it says snell 2000. in the rules say snell 2005. will i be ok?
I they require the SNELL SA2005 rated helmet then you may not get away with the SA2000. It's the same for road courses. Way to know the helmet is less than 10 years old and meets the latest requirements. Call the drag strip and ask them I would say
Old 6/19/13, 02:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Or do some practice launches and shifts up thru 3rd and then back way off to get lower ET. Run one blazing fast run at the end of the night before being asked to leave. Not the right way but at least you can get some runs in... Worth asking if the strip has rental helmets too
Old 6/19/13, 02:48 PM
Banned

I saw some kid in a new edge smoke em at the line and left doing a burnout. Never thought I'd see real life fast and furious ****. I died laughing lol. Just watch some people go first. It'll be easy to see who's and idiot and whose not. It's tricky but here's some pointers. DO NOT go through the water box. Leave like you're leaving a light and then nail it. Your time doesn't start until you leave so don't sweat the light.
Old 6/19/13, 02:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jdub2k5
if you run 14's in a gt we need to have a chat
There was a guy out last week in a '14 DSG GT running like 14.20's, I asked him about how he was running and he said he was shifting at 5000...

I explained things to him a little and next pass he ran a 13.35 or something like that, came back around with a big grin on his face!
Old 6/19/13, 03:01 PM
GTR Member

Most tracks only require newer snell rated helmets for sanctioned events or if your car is capable of going quicker than 11 seconds in the 1/4.

My helmet is about 25 years old, like a snell 85 and nobody has ever checked it at the track.

Quick Reply: drag race?