2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Does anyone else not give a **** about a fancy shmancy interior?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/11, 05:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Does anyone else not give a **** about a fancy shmancy interior?

My personal preference is for a functional, clean interior with minimal bling, minimal complexity, gas and brake pedals that are approproaiately spaced for heel and toe operation, good seating position, and supportive seats that won't be threadbare in 10k miles. That's it!

IMO, both generations of the S197 Mustangs are a solid B+ in the interior department. I have the base cloth interior-- Seating position is very good, guages are clear and easy to read, pedals are...acceptable but not perfect, shifter falls right in my hand. It seems like the cloth seats will hold up...time will tell. The side bolstering on the seats is about 75% of what I would like...Not bad but I still feel like my back muscles are working a little too hard when pushing the car through tight turns. Over all, I am satisfied with the interior.

If I could change one thing it would be to ban chrome accents from the dash. Even through sunglasses, there are times where the glare is intolerable.

What do you guys think?
Old 7/13/11, 06:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the interior is one of the most important parts of the car, you basically live in it.
There is no way you can drive outside of the car so yes interior is pretty important for a driver.
Especially a daily driver, it's 2011 nobody wants to drive around in a plan old nothingness interior.
love mine!

Last edited by fdjizm; 7/13/11 at 06:42 AM.
Old 7/13/11, 07:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fdjizm
I think the interior is one of the most important parts of the car, you basically live in it.
There is no way you can drive outside of the car so yes interior is pretty important for a driver.
Especially a daily driver, it's 2011 nobody wants to drive around in a plan old nothingness interior.
love mine!
Agreed.

For a daily driver I want nice leather, quality materials, bluetooth, satellite radio, etc. I want solid build quality and smart, intuitive design. I think the Premium Mustang gets pretty good marks in the interior department though it could be much better. I know for certain that I would not own a non-premium package Mustang... I just can't live with that every day.

Unless it's a Boss.
Old 7/13/11, 07:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

They put the steering wheel on the inside for a reason :P
Old 7/13/11, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
My personal preference is for a functional, clean interior with minimal bling, minimal complexity, gas and brake pedals that are approproaiately spaced for heel and toe operation, good seating position, and supportive seats that won't be threadbare in 10k miles. That's it!

IMO, both generations of the S197 Mustangs are a solid B+ in the interior department. I have the base cloth interior-- Seating position is very good, guages are clear and easy to read, pedals are...acceptable but not perfect, shifter falls right in my hand. It seems like the cloth seats will hold up...time will tell. The side bolstering on the seats is about 75% of what I would like...Not bad but I still feel like my back muscles are working a little too hard when pushing the car through tight turns. Over all, I am satisfied with the interior.

If I could change one thing it would be to ban chrome accents from the dash. Even through sunglasses, there are times where the glare is intolerable.

What do you guys think?
Personal opinion coming thru! I think chrome accents are alittle much. In my 06 I like the chrome airvents and speedometer outer rings, reminds me of a retro stang. But anything more than stock is alittle overkill. I like all black interior with leather seats I replaced all my green LEDs in the car with red, makes more a nice night time appearance and of course good speakers. The interior is your "cockpit" so make it the way you like it. I personally like the little bit of personal touch. I would still say no extra chrome but that's just me they wouldn't make them if people didn't buy them so it appeals to some. Can't say anything about it I'm sure they like it the way they have set it up! Picture some of my red lighting.
Attached Images   
Old 7/13/11, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Since you asked, I don't give a rat's *** for a fancy interior. I never had one so maybe that's why, but I want the car to be running perfect, that's all.
Old 7/13/11, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

i really dont care about the fancy interior. but the feel of the nicer steering wheel sure is nice.

id take a base with the 18r option sttering wheel in a heartbeat. i think ford dropped the ball by not letting the rest of us have that option.
Old 7/13/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

[QUOTE="Wander"]Since you asked, I don't give a rat's *** for a fancy interior. I never had one so maybe that's why, but I want the car to be running perfect, mustang interior stock I think is pretty fancy enough I think the newer ones anyways, so you do have a somewhat fancy interior
Old 7/13/11, 10:35 AM
GT Member

IMO, the best S197 interior I've seen is the BOSS 302. Great seats (manual), great steering wheel, good shifter... None of the frivolous doodads and such.

I'm happy for the people that want all that high-tech fancy stuff, power everything, rearview camera, Sync, etc, but I don't want that stuff. I certainly don't want the added weight, complexity, and cost.
Old 7/13/11, 10:42 AM

I don't care about the interior at all. The hard plastic and cloth seats don't bother me. I was still disappointed that they used the same plastic door panels in the Shelby's though.

This is coming from someone who also daily drives an Accord with leather seats and soft materials covering almost everything except maybe the cup holders.

Only thing I miss from the Accord is the woodgrain steering wheel.
Old 7/13/11, 10:48 AM

I like all the fancy stuff in my cars. The more the better.
Old 7/13/11, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am old and spolied, so I do like the nice, above average interior with leather, stereo, tilt wheel (would also like telescoping). But I would also like the option to build the car my way, without all the packages. Just list the individual opetions like they used to, so I could have HID's without all the other junk in the package.

With that said, back in the day you could also buy a "base" stripper model, with cloth seats, rubber mats (no carpet) wind up windows, steel wheels with hub caps, well you get it, basically nothing but the car.

However, you could also order the biggest V8 made by the company in the stripper...we called them "sleepers", because they looked like taxi's. Cops never even noticed them. You could also order the police package on a four door sedan, now that was fun. Plain Jane, family car, no spoliers, or tape stripes, just one fast car that no one really noticed, except other car guys.....should I have said car people

Today, everything is about packages. You really don't have much choice if you think about it. Works for the manufacturer because it is cheaper, but not for the consumer, who is stuck paying for options they really don't want or need, in order to get the one option they wanted.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 7/13/11 at 11:09 AM. Reason: correction
Old 7/13/11, 11:20 AM

A fancy interior doesn't matter much to me but one feature I wish I had is the automatic climate control where you just set a temperature and the AC system adjusts the fan speed and everything to maintain that temp. I would give up the sync system for that.
Old 7/13/11, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by czbrian
A fancy interior doesn't matter much to me but one feature I wish I had is the automatic climate control where you just set a temperature and the AC system adjusts the fan speed and everything to maintain that temp. I would give up the sync system for that.

Im the opposite....I like the premium interior ( would never buy the base interior)...

...and cant stand auto climate control.....I despise it in every vehicle with it ,that I have ,where I was forced to get it to get the nicer interior....
Old 7/13/11, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by czbrian
Auto Climate comes with the Electronics Package, But i guess that goes against the principles of you fancy interior haters.
Old 7/13/11, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Auto Climate comes with the Electronics Package, But i guess that goes against the principles of you fancy interior haters.
I didn't know that. I have the premium package but not the electronics package. I like the premium interior a lot but it wasn't one of my must haves and it was all the dealer had on the lot.
Old 7/13/11, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Hard cheap plastic in a 35 to 45 thousand dollar car? Get real. It is not too much to ask that they make the interior look better than a 10,000 car. It does not need to be a complete luxury car, but not everyone wants to drive a 40k beater. I expect better from Ford. Interior mods were the first thing I did on my 2012 gt, and they were well worth it. It is muscle with just a touch of class. I will never go back to the plain interior it came with.
Old 7/13/11, 01:39 PM
Cobra R Member

seats,gas,brake,shift,steering wheel,lights,signal,wiper,heater,radio (optional)....im good
Old 7/13/11, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I am old and spolied, so I do like the nice, above average interior with leather, stereo, tilt wheel (would also like telescoping). But I would also like the option to build the car my way, without all the packages. Just list the individual opetions like they used to, so I could have HID's without all the other junk in the package.

With that said, back in the day you could also buy a "base" stripper model, with cloth seats, rubber mats (no carpet) wind up windows, steel wheels with hub caps, well you get it, basically nothing but the car.

However, you could also order the biggest V8 made by the company in the stripper...we called them "sleepers", because they looked like taxi's. Cops never even noticed them. You could also order the police package on a four door sedan, now that was fun. Plain Jane, family car, no spoliers, or tape stripes, just one fast car that no one really noticed, except other car guys.....should I have said car people

Today, everything is about packages. You really don't have much choice if you think about it. Works for the manufacturer because it is cheaper, but not for the consumer, who is stuck paying for options they really don't want or need, in order to get the one option they wanted.
That was extremely interesting. i wish i was still this way....

Very cool(:
Old 7/13/11, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Gimme a base model with comfy leather seats, and I'm game. The only reason I have premium is for the seats and the stereo setup being much better.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else not give a **** about a fancy shmancy interior?