Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Do I have any recourse of a bad rear end install at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/14, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Do I have any recourse of a bad rear end install at the dealer?

I got a 2010 Mustang GT Convertible that I bought with roughly 40,000 miles on it. After about a month of ownership I started to get a rear end noise. I took to my local dealer and the replaced the ring and pinion gear. The car ran fine up to around 60,100 miles then I started to get a wine from the rear end. I took back to the dealer and they told me the car was out of warranty at 60,000 miles and the repair only had a 12,000 mile warranty. So I am out of luck. However, they said it would look at it anyways.

The dealer changed me a $130 diagnostic fee and told me it was my tires were making the noise. I thought that was a little odd but took them at their word. I started to save for new wheels and tire when the noise has got considerably worse this week. I am taking it back today for the Ford dealer to look at it again. Do I have a leg to stand on for them to fix it or I am just out of luck and have to take it somewhere else to have it repaired out of pocket?

I feel like I am being jacked around here. I really do not have time to deal with this mess since I work 2 jobs and go to school. I just need to know what my options are.
Old 7/8/14, 06:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If it's not the tires, then you have reason to get the $130 back.

But if the repair only had a 12,000 mile warranty, then that's it. It sucks that it only lasted that long, but you're not entitled to anything else.

You can try Deysha and see if they'll help you out, since you're barely out of the 60,000 mile warranty. But remember...be glad if they help you at all, because they're not obligated to.
Old 7/8/14, 06:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I figured as much. Who is Deysha?
Old 7/8/14, 06:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
She works at Ford customer service, and monitors this forum. Her username is "Fordservice". You should be able to find her if you just search her username.
Old 7/8/14, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You should replace the tires first to eliminate any question as to them being the culprit then go back to Ford. They can just refer to the last time they inspected it and send you on your way. Tire noise will get worse as they wear just in case it is tires.

Gear whine normally changes or disappears when the throttle position is changed. Tire noise will change on different road surfaces and patches.
Old 7/8/14, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have fairly new tires on the car with real good tread. I cannot afford to drop a $1000 to test a theory. The sound is based on the throttle and is constant on all road services. I would be shocked if it turned out to be my tires. You can hear the wine at any speed. The dealer is going to have to prove to me on the rack that the sound is coming from my wheels. Plus I have seen threads on this forum and other sites with simalr issues. I have even seen you tube videos of people having the same wine with their 3.73 gears.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/8/14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 7/8/14, 07:52 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Could be a bad rear wheel bearing. Just saying.......
Old 7/8/14, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

It could very well be. I just know it is not the tires.
Old 7/8/14, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Are you still running a square setup? Do a tire rotation and see if it's still there. If not, see if you can borrow a buddy's set of wheels for a day...
Old 7/8/14, 09:27 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
I got a 2010 Mustang GT Convertible that I bought with roughly 40,000 miles on it. After about a month of ownership I started to get a rear end noise. I took to my local dealer and the replaced the ring and pinion gear. The car ran fine up to around 60,100 miles then I started to get a wine from the rear end. I took back to the dealer and they told me the car was out of warranty at 60,000 miles and the repair only had a 12,000 mile warranty. So I am out of luck. However, they said it would look at it anyways.

The dealer changed me a $130 diagnostic fee and told me it was my tires were making the noise. I thought that was a little odd but took them at their word. I started to save for new wheels and tire when the noise has got considerably worse this week. I am taking it back today for the Ford dealer to look at it again. Do I have a leg to stand on for them to fix it or I am just out of luck and have to take it somewhere else to have it repaired out of pocket?

I feel like I am being jacked around here. I really do not have time to deal with this mess since I work 2 jobs and go to school. I just need to know what my options are.
Hello SpeedCostsMoney,

Since the repair warranty has expired, I recommend bringing it in to your dealer and speaking to your service manager about this concern. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Also, remember as of 10/13 repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know what they say.

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
If it's not the tires, then you have reason to get the $130 back.

But if the repair only had a 12,000 mile warranty, then that's it. It sucks that it only lasted that long, but you're not entitled to anything else.

You can try Deysha and see if they'll help you out, since you're barely out of the 60,000 mile warranty. But remember...be glad if they help you at all, because they're not obligated to.
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
She works at Ford customer service, and monitors this forum. Her username is "Fordservice". You should be able to find her if you just search her username.
Thank you for the mention, stupidgenius36!

Deysha
Old 7/8/14, 03:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Speed, you could have the the car put on the rack, then run it to see if it is the tires. If they are in the air they ain't gonna whine. If it's the tires you will know, and if not, while it's up you can get an idea of where the noise is coming from. Good luck.

As some tires go they can make a terrible roar when they begin to wear. I have a set of Goodyear's on my Corvette that are only half gone, but roar so loud they have got to come off the car.
Old 7/8/14, 05:03 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
Speed, you could have the the car put on the rack, then run it to see if it is the tires. If they are in the air they ain't gonna whine. If it's the tires you will know, and if not, while it's up you can get an idea of where the noise is coming from. Good luck.

As some tires go they can make a terrible roar when they begin to wear. I have a set of Goodyear's on my Corvette that are only half gone, but roar so loud they have got to come off the car.
There you go. Best advice there is. My Goodyears on my old Z3 were 'half gone' and the road noise was obvious and getting worse as the tread wore down. Goodyear took 50% off my next set which were flawless. Sometimes different batches of tires are just bad. My neighbor just went through this also with a set of Michelins and just 18k miles on them. They also offered 50% off. Even if you have a lot of tread left on your tires, the 'mongrel' brands can develop road noise even faster than the better brands if you have a set of those. ** Just a side note: It's whine with an 'h', not wine that you drink. If you have to put something in writing to Ford, it helps to construct a solid letter. I have no intention of being the grammar police, just pointing out something that can be helpful in communicating. Good luck with everything.

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/8/14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 7/8/14, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I'm curious... is it not reasonable that perhaps, to rule out the rear end, that the dealer did the rack test to eliminate the rear end as the cause?

I'm being honest about asking. Seems like they'd know to do this...

---

Also +1 on the tires being the noise. **** General G-Max AS tires are some seriously noisy tires, and sound like wheel bearings from 40-60. Thankfully, I figured it out. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable. No real difference than the road noise itself, so it's not unlivable, just disconcerting at first.

I'mma wear 'em out, 'cause they are actually turning out to be pretty decent tires, and I like the way they look. But I won't be gettin' another set. I'll deal with the decision when it's time.

Last edited by houtex; 7/8/14 at 07:26 PM.
Old 7/8/14, 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I'm curious... is it not reasonable that perhaps, to rule out the rear end, that the dealer did the rack test to eliminate the rear end as the cause? I'm being honest about asking. Seems like they'd know to do this... --- Also +1 on the tires being the noise. **** General G-Max AS tires are some seriously noisy tires, and sound like wheel bearings from 40-60. Thankfully, I figured it out. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable. No real difference than the road noise itself, so it's not unlivable, just disconcerting at first. I'mma wear 'em out, 'cause they are actually turning out to be pretty decent tires, and I like the way they look. But I won't be gettin' another set. I'll deal with the decision when it's time.
It sucks because the Exclaim UHPs were the best set of tires I had on my '00 V6 with Cobra wheels. They were excellent and wore great, all for a screaming deal. I think the 275/40/17s I had were like $108/piece from tirerack when I got them. The G-Max replaced them and the reviews aren't as good as the UHP's...
Old 7/9/14, 05:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

The dealer said they have to replace the gear and pinion, which is what they replaced 19,000 miles ago under warranty. I was told pretty much that I was out of luck and it will be a $1400 repair bill. I called Ford customer service and they are not going to help me since the car and repair is out of warranty.

I do not have $1400 right now so I am not sure what I am going to do. I am also not happy that I have to put gears and pinion in my car every 19,000 miles. So it might be time to find another car. I am a Ford and Mustang fan who has been a real advocate for the brand but this incident is making want to trade this thing in on something more reliable.

I guess I will have to tell my local Mustang club not to expect me at the meetings. So either the product is bad or the dealer did poor work. Either the case I am not sure the car or Manufacturer is something me or my family should be dealing with anymore. I am really upset!

Edit: I really hope I can find a way for Ford to help me. I love my Mustang GT!

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 7/9/14 at 07:19 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok, reality check here.

You have the car. Is it paid for? Or are you still paying for it?

If you're still paying for it, then yes, that sucks. I myself hate paying twice for a car, in effect. And since it's now a question of payment, then indeed... another car might be the fix for you, since it's a budgetary concern.

However, if you're NOT paying for the car, as in it's paid off...

The axle fix is cheaper than a car payment. It's two or three of them, to be sure, but then that's over. It's called maintenance.

That being said, why does it automatically mean 'replace gears'? It could be a simple adjustment... or yes, indeed, swap 'em out, but maybe change the gear ratio. Harmonics happen. You said how there's others with that ratio having the whine. Or the lash is messed up. Lots of reasons.

Inaction won't do anything much to the car. As long as the gears aren't eating themselves and causing metal chunks, then it's just annoying. Of course, if it *is* eating gears, then the dealership did a bad job if it is destroying itself in such a short time... or you're tracking the car or doing bad things(tm) to the poor axle.

It's up to you to make the best decision for your needs. I'd say, though, that the dealership might not be the only place to have it looked at. A good race shop might be in order, or maybe ask about in your area to see if there's some place that'll be worthy of your time. The dealer is NOT the only one who can work on your car, and don't be sucked in to that. They're not any better (or worse) than any other mechanics shop. They might have special tools for certain things that you must go to for (scan tools maybe) or special bits that can't be replaced anywhere else (happens), but for a Ford rear end?

Any shop can fix that. YOU can fix that, actually, it's just whether you want to or not. Here, some encouragement!:

Also, this isn't terribly normal to have to dive into the rear gears, obviously. First factory defect, sure, that happens... second time after a rebuild so short? That dealership might need to at least answer why. Warranty or not, that's really really odd, I'd say. But not normal at all. Don't dispair yet, the third time might be the charm! (oh, so easy to spend other's monies... )

I wish ya good luck, dude.

Last edited by houtex; 7/9/14 at 09:21 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 09:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Ok, reality check here. You have the car. Is it paid for? Or are you still paying for it? If you're still paying for it, then yes, that sucks. I myself hate paying twice for a car, in effect. And since it's now a question of payment, then indeed... another car might be the fix for you, since it's a budgetary concern. However, if you're NOT paying for the car, as in it's paid off... The axle fix is cheaper than a car payment. It's two or three of them, to be sure, but then that's over. It's called maintenance. That being said, why does it automatically mean 'replace gears'? It could be a simple adjustment... or change the gear ratio. Harmonics happen. Or the lash is messed up. Lots of reasons. Inaction won't do anything much to the car. As long as the gears aren't eating themselves and causing metal chunks, then it's just annoying. It's up to you to make the best decision for your needs. I'd say, though, that the dealership might not be the only place to have it looked at. A good race shop might be in order, or maybe ask about in your area to see if there's some place that'll be worthy of your time. The dealer is NOT the only one who can work on your car, and don't be sucked in to that. They're not any better (or worse) than any other mechanics shop. They might have special tools for certain things that you must go to for (scan tools maybe) or special bits that can't be replaced anywhere else (happens), but for a Ford rear end? Any shop can fix that. YOU can fix that, actually, it's just whether you want to or not. I wish ya good luck, dude.
This. Go to a local race shop and get a built rear end with upgraded axles and 4.10s. Parts breaking = excuse to upgrade!
Old 7/9/14, 09:44 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
The dealer said they have to replace the gear and pinion, which is what they replaced 19,000 miles ago under warranty. I was told pretty much that I was out of luck and it will be a $1400 repair bill. I called Ford customer service and they are not going to help me since the car and repair is out of warranty.

I do not have $1400 right now so I am not sure what I am going to do. I am also not happy that I have to put gears and pinion in my car every 19,000 miles. So it might be time to find another car. I am a Ford and Mustang fan who has been a real advocate for the brand but this incident is making want to trade this thing in on something more reliable.

I guess I will have to tell my local Mustang club not to expect me at the meetings. So either the product is bad or the dealer did poor work. Either the case I am not sure the car or Manufacturer is something me or my family should be dealing with anymore. I am really upset!

Edit: I really hope I can find a way for Ford to help me. I love my Mustang GT!
I can't promise anything, but let me get this reviewed for you, SpeedCostsMoney. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 7/9/14, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good news everyone! Ford Service called me back and they are going to pay for the majority of the fix. This is all I really wanted was for them to work with me since it was so close on mileage. Ford you have kept me as customer. Thanks again!!!!
Old 7/9/14, 01:56 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!
I just hope the dealership does it right this time. I would bet an easy $20 that the job wasn't done right the first time. Rear ends should NOT go out that quick unless abused or raced often.

Quick Reply: Do I have any recourse of a bad rear end install at the dealer?