2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diagnosed Transmission Whine Without Disassembling

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/11, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to give an update, I dropped the car off this morning at 7:50 and they said they would get started on it first thing. I am hopefull it's done today, it's a miracle I have lasted this long without calling to check lol. I am just trying to at least appear patient.

Good or bad I will update this afternoon.
Old 8/29/11, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blackgt87
Just wanted to give an update, I dropped the car off this morning at 7:50 and they said they would get started on it first thing. I am hopefull it's done today, it's a miracle I have lasted this long without calling to check lol. I am just trying to at least appear patient.

Good or bad I will update this afternoon.
Look forward to the update
Old 8/29/11, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry for the delay...

Got the car back this afternoon, brand new transmission installed. No whines and man does this thing shift nice.

There is some whooshy sort of "gears and synchros doing their thing" kinda noise, but that noise didn't show up until after the addition of the steeda shifter. Which was identical from the last trans to this one, so I can say for sure that it is additional NVH from the shifter, I still have the stock bracket (the steeda bracket will be here this week I hope) so I will have to update again after I install the bracket.

I only drove the car about 15 minutes home, so I have yet to see if that gummy shifter feeling after a long drive is still there. I did some more research and I am FOR SURE putting the Amsoil MTG in, I will do that and the bracket at the same time. I am confident that the noise I am hearing will be gone or almost gone with the new fluid and bracket. When I turn or put my hand on the shifter the whoosh noise will completely go away, but its sorta random. I think the shifter is moving and thats where some of the NVH is coming from.

I also got conformation that this transmission has QDC, I think that super thin fluid is probably where the rest of the NVH is coming from.

So all in all I am very happy, no whining and the trans shifts even better than the last one, which was in my opinion stellar. I can't wait to feel it with better fluid, and the new bracket. I will update after at least 400 miles (how long it took the first transmission to whine), and let everyone know if it ever does start whining again.
Old 8/29/11, 09:43 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Glad they got it together for you. Hopefully the bugs are worked out and you don't have to deal with it anymore and can enjoy the car.
Old 8/30/11, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Glad they got it together for you. Hopefully the bugs are worked out and you don't have to deal with it anymore and can enjoy the car.
Exactly.

I also wanted to comment that the vibration in 4th gear at lower speeds is gone. The shifter handle used to vibrate a lot under load in 4th gear only at lower speeds ~40mph, it wasn't as bad at higher speeds. Although I can't remember if it did that or not after the new bearing went in.
Old 9/1/11, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

did you get any updated part numbers, is the tranny really a newer design?
Old 9/1/11, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
did you get any updated part numbers, is the tranny really a newer design?
The only thing different that I know of is the bearing for the output shaft, someone had posted in another thread that as of build date 7/25/11 that bearing is different. (my build date was 7/19 lol) I don't have the part numbers though. That is what they replaced in the trans first to see if the whining would stop, it got better but did not go away.

Steeda shifter bracket should be here today, hopefully that and the amsoil make this thing buttery smoove.
Old 9/4/11, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

UPDATE:

I put the steeda shifter bracket on (using the lower durometer red bushing) and swapped the trans fluid for Amsoil MTG (fluid that Amosoil recommends for the MT82).

I put the bushing on first, and honestly didn't notice a whole lot of change. The trasmission was a little easier to shift, the best way I could describe it was the transmission felt "cleaner", like some junk had been removed from the other end of the shifter handle or something. I wouldn't say night and day difference though.

The transmission fluid however IS HUGE. I would recommend this to anyone, it made a huge difference that I could tell before I even got to the end of my street. My transmission never had shifting problems, just the whine. I always thought it shifted smooth and nicer than any car I'd ever driven. It's 10 times nicer than that now. I think it is a combination of shifter, bracket, and fluid.

I had heard some people say that they wouldn't change the fluid unless something was wrong, those people have not driven my car. It is by FAR the best 45 bucks I have spent.