Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dealers not willing to order ??

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/13, 08:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealers not willing to order ??

Has anybody experienced dealers not wanting to order a car exactly to the specs you wish ?

I've been thinking about ordering a base Mustang GT in Sterling Gray or Ingot Silver w/6 speed and the only options being the 3.73 gear & possibly Recaro seats.

It seems dealers are very hesitant or unwilling to order the exact combination that you wish and just want to push the cars on their lot. Or, they try to "find" the car you want, but never can locate the exact combination.
Old 3/17/13, 09:08 AM
GT Member

I ordered a base GT with 6 speed and only one measly option, the 3.73 gears. The dealer was happy to take the order. Sure he would have loved to sell me one of the dozen stangs he had on the lot but that's not what I wanted.
Go to a few dealers, tell them exactly what you want, and get a price from each of them. Let them compete with each other. They're not doing you a favor, you're a paying customer.
Old 3/17/13, 09:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by exchallenger
Go to a few dealers, tell them exactly what you want, and get a price from each of them. Let them compete with each other. They're not doing you a favor, you're a paying customer.
This. He is totally correct. Some salespeople try and bully you. If they feel you aren't going to push back. I trained many salespeople in my past life. You always want to move what you have. Especially older stock that is on the sales floor. Many times there is a bonus pay out to sell on floor items that does not exist on an ordered piece. Try a larger volume dealer. They are quick to take a sale. Good luck! You'll love it once it arrives.
Old 3/17/13, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
This. He is totally correct. Some salespeople try and bully you. If they feel you aren't going to push back. I trained many salespeople in my past life. You always want to move what you have. Especially older stock that is on the sales floor. Many times there is a bonus pay out to sell on floor items that does not exist on an ordered piece. Try a larger volume dealer. They are quick to take a sale. Good luck! You'll love it once it arrives.
But sometimes they are right... I went in to order a Piano Black BMW, the dealer had an IDENTICAL car with every package I wanted but it was Sapphire Black. He told me that the Piano Black doesn't match the rims well and it loses its gloss within the first 10-15k miles and recommended I just but the Saph Black he had. I was hesitant so he placed the order and told me once it arrives I could take either car for the same price. I ended up buying the Saph Black and when I took it in for servicing I saw someone with a Piano Black that lost its shine. Gotta tell ya, that dealer saved me $750...
Old 3/17/13, 01:50 PM
lug

Find another dealership now! When I finally ordered mine I had seven dealerships submit their offers. Use e-mail so your not wasting your time and your fuel. Be very direct and blunt! Don't be surprised if your local dealership has the worst offer, they're banking on you being lazy! Leave your emotions at the door because it's strictly business now. " I want to order this vehicle with these options (list the options you want and include Ford's coding). Give me your best price out the door!" If you have a pre-approval for a loan or money then that will embolden you even more.
Old 3/17/13, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lug
Find another dealership now! When I finally ordered mine I had seven dealerships submit their offers. Use e-mail so your not wasting your time and your fuel. Be very direct and blunt! Don't be surprised if your local dealership has the worst offer, they're banking on you being lazy! Leave your emotions at the door because it's strictly business now. " I want to order this vehicle with these options (list the options you want and include Ford's coding). Give me your best price out the door!" If you have a pre-approval for a loan or money then that will embolden you even more.
It doesn't have to be this way at all.

As a Sales Manager for a BMW dealership I can assure you that there is more to a great car buying experience than just price. Price is important, but not nearly the only thing.
Old 3/17/13, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cobra 2997
Has anybody experienced dealers not wanting to order a car exactly to the specs you wish ?

I've been thinking about ordering a base Mustang GT in Sterling Gray or Ingot Silver w/6 speed and the only options being the 3.73 gear & possibly Recaro seats.

It seems dealers are very hesitant or unwilling to order the exact combination that you wish and just want to push the cars on their lot. Or, they try to "find" the car you want, but never can locate the exact combination.
How many Mustangs do they have on the lot and how many do they usually sell? They may not have the allocation for one and don't want to lose the sale completely, so they push stock items.
Old 3/17/13, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm a little puzzled why anyone would want to order a new Mustang with the redesigned 2015 Mustang with IRS just a year away, especially w/o even knowing what it will look like.

Are you dead set on wanting the current generation car with a solid rear axle for a reason?

If you think you might be interested in a 2015, even a little, you should at least wait until we know what it's going to look like, otherwise you're gonna be doing a bunch of this.
Old 3/17/13, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
I'm a little puzzled why anyone would want to order a new Mustang with the redesigned 2015 Mustang with IRS just a year away, especially w/o even knowing what it will look like.

Are you dead set on wanting the current generation car with a solid rear axle for a reason?

If you think you might be interested in a 2015, even a little, you should at least wait until we know what it's going to look like, otherwise you're gonna be doing a bunch of this.
The redesign is exactly why I want and ordered a 2014. If the redesigned 2015 turns out to be "must have" I'll get one then. Alot can happen in a year and a year is a long time to wait for us older folks.
Old 3/17/13, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Cristoff
It doesn't have to be this way at all.

As a Sales Manager for a BMW dealership I can assure you that there is more to a great car buying experience than just price. Price is important, but not nearly the only thing.
While I agree, that's a lot easier to say when you're the only game in town like most BMW shops are, with most metros having one or two stores at the most. When there's 10+ Ford dealers in most metros, price becomes way more important since the dealership experience is so similar at all, IMO.
Old 3/18/13, 09:08 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobra 2997

Hey Cobra 2997,

Not all dealers get the same allocation for Mustangs, so this may have something to do with it. I’ll be more than happy to document your experience with this dealer. If you’d like me to, PM me with your full name, dealer, best daytime number, and a brief description of the experience.

Deysha
Old 3/18/13, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
While I agree, that's a lot easier to say when you're the only game in town like most BMW shops are, with most metros having one or two stores at the most. When there's 10+ Ford dealers in most metros, price becomes way more important since the dealership experience is so similar at all, IMO.
There are 11 BMW dealerships within a 1 hour drive from us....
Old 3/18/13, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For me the IRS would only be one of a number of things to consider when contemplating buying the new model (and a very small consideration at that). I certainly wouldn't wait a year to buy a new car just for that - it's just not that important for a daily driver.

If I like what I see when the new design comes out, I'll buy one. If not, I won't. Either way, I've been able to enjoy my car in the meantime.
Old 3/18/13, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Cristoff
There are 11 BMW dealerships within a 1 hour drive from us....
Geez. Here in Kansas City, there's only one in the whole metro. Topeka is an hour away, Columbia 2 hours away and Omaha/Des Moines/Wichita/Springfield about 3 hours away.
Old 3/18/13, 12:42 PM
V6 Member

First of all to the OP its probably because they think you will back out of the sale or get impatient waiting 8-15 weeks for your ride. Also as others have said they may be to small to get a good allocation or ect.

To the guy I am quoting about why anyone would order lol its pretty simple.

1. IRS is not what I want I would rather stay far far away from it.

2. If indeed they put an option for a 4cylinder mustang then I will NEVER buy that generation that is castration of an icon and I wont support it.

3. I adore the current model and what it and my 2005 accomplished which was bring to me a young adult my fathers muscle car era.

4. Carol Shelby approved of not only this generations styling it approved of its set up in every way. I think hed scoff at the European muck were switching to
Old 3/18/13, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Geez. Here in Kansas City, there's only one in the whole metro. Topeka is an hour away, Columbia 2 hours away and Omaha/Des Moines/Wichita/Springfield about 3 hours away.
Yeah, we are just a bit east of San Francisco. There are five in that metro, three others between there and here, two more just to the north in Sacramento, and one just to the south in Fresno.

Competition? I know about Competition!
Old 3/18/13, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteWinged
2. If indeed they put an option for a 4cylinder mustang then I will NEVER buy that generation that is castration of an icon and I wont support it.
You better check your history... both the second generation (Mustang II) and third generation (Fox body) Mustangs came with 4-cylinder engines. For the most part they were dogs but the current Ford 2.0L EcoBoost 4-cylinder is a capable performer that could easily make its way into a new Mustang. I test drove one in an Edge on the weekend and was impressed with its power, smoothness, lack of turbo lag, and 30mpg highway mileage rating (excellent for that size of vehicle). A 240hp and 270ftlb (available as low as 1800rpm) engine in a Mustang is no slouch and would probably get somewhere around 33mpg or maybe even more.

So don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 3/18/13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 3/18/13, 02:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You better check your history... both the second generation (Mustang II) and third generation (Fox body) Mustangs came with 4-cylinder engines. For the most part they were dogs but the current Ford 2.0L EcoBoost 4-cylinder is a capable performer that could easily make its way into a new Mustang. I test drove one in an Edge on the weekend and was impressed with its power, smoothness, lack of turbo lag, and 30mpg highway mileage rating (excellent for that size of vehicle). A 240hp and 270ftlb (available as low as 1800rpm) engine in a Mustang is no slouch and would probably get somewhere around 33mpg or maybe even more.

Warning the following statements are my opinion and will offend some
Both the mustang 2 and the fox 4cylinder were an embarrassment. The mustang is neither supposed to be fuel efficient or a family car. That being said a 4 banger has no place in my beloved pony car neither does room for the family "generalized" looks or any other philosophical save the planet crap. Anyway I digress so my response to you would be a polite I know my history and thats exactly why I will not be supporting anything like a 4cylinder option it hasnt done well before and Ill do anything in my power to keep it from being successful now.

To put it into perspective my brother told me the other day. "The only mustang ive ever been interested in is the 2015 4banger (he drives a honda fit). I said oh really why is that? "Because it would be like the domestic civic!"

:banghea d:
Old 3/18/13, 02:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

Change is inevitable I would point out though that you have a v6 so that puts us miles apart on how we think regardless so dont take anything I said personal just stating my opinions
Old 3/18/13, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, I'm not taking it personally - I enjoy a good debate. I have a V6 Mustang now because it has about the same horsepower as my Trans Am had and at my age I don't feel any need for more than what will allow me to merge safely on the highway. Different strokes for different folks. As you can see from my signature, I have had my share of V8 pony cars - in fact, I have owned a pony car of one type or another almost continuously for about 40 years.

Like you, I thought the Mustang II was an abomination and I've never been fond of Fox bodies regardless of engine type (just a personal opinion). That's why I was driving GM F-bodies during those years.

But if you accept a V6 as a legitimate Mustang (and they have had 6-cylinder engines since day one) then I don't see why the EcoBoost I-4 isn't acceptable. It has much better performance than even the last generation of six (2005-2009) and in some ways is better even than the current 3.7 V6 - max torque over a range from 1800rpm to 4500rpm instead of having to wind up to 4250rpm just to get some get up and go. Believe me, that missing torque is very noticeable at low rpm with the stock 2.73 gears - the car feels like it can't get out of its own way.

Quick Reply: Dealers not willing to order ??