2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Dealer-installed Security System?

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/10, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer-installed Security System?

So about to go pick up my car in a few minutes. My sales guy called and asked if I wanted to install the system. He says it costs around $390 and should be more important than me trying to get the GT500 valance installed (lol).

Any experience with the system? Is the standard adequate? I didn't get the Security Package because, like most people have mentioned, I believe that if a pro really wants to jack you, those systems won't do much to deter them.

Just wanted some opinions before I go and meet him. This is about the dealer-installed system, not the standard security or the Security Package.
Old 10/14/10, 04:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had my dealer install a Ford aftermarket alarm on my '05 and had no problems with it. The main difference I recall was that it did not activate for incline if someone tried to tow your car which the factory system does. It also came with a warranty, but I think only 12K miles not the 36K that a factory system would have.

At that time anyway, buying the Ford system enabled me to use the factory key fob just like a factory-installed alarm, however the flashing red light to show it was activated was installed by drilling through the dash, not linked to the factory display in the gauge cluster like a factory alarm is. My installer mounted the light next to the headlight switch, although I would imagine it could be mounted elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by IWantMyNewGT; 10/14/10 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10/14/10, 04:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

I forgot to add, IIRC I paid over $300 installed for the system 5-1/2 years ago, so the $390 you were quoted seems about right.

I would make sure it is a FORD system, not some generic aftermarket alarm. They can be more trouble than they are worth. I am sure there are other good aftermarket alarms on the market, but I prefer to play it safe.

Last edited by IWantMyNewGT; 10/14/10 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10/14/10, 07:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insurance companies like to hear the car has an alarm..get the rear valeance outside the deal
Old 10/15/10, 06:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You always hear that Insurance companies like to here you have an alarm, but I can't recall the last time I have heard of anyone getting a discount because of it.
Old 10/15/10, 06:29 AM

Geico gives you a discount for it, and actually shows you how many dollars you save per month as a result of it. I have Progressive now, and I think it lowered my rates here too..
Old 10/15/10, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Geico gives you a discount for it, and actually shows you how many dollars you save per month as a result of it. I have Progressive now, and I think it lowered my rates here too..
Unfortunately not all insurance companies will give you a discount for alarms. I had Progressive in the past and they gave me a discount on my truck that had an aftermarket active alarm on it. I switched to AAA insurance and they said they do not give discounts for alarm, just lo-jack-like systems. Just call your company and found out if they do give discounts. Otherwise, it's just piece of mind to have an alarm system.
Old 10/15/10, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

I do not trust the dealer to start tapping into the electrical.
Old 10/15/10, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

The alarm should already be pre installed... It's pre installed for the dealerships insurance purposes...

When I bought my car I was told it was already installed and if I should decide not to keep it they would deactivate the alarm system. Well needless to say the alarm is still active and I ended up taking the car as soon as papers were signed and they never had a chance to charge me for it or disarm it.

With the being said.... If I take the car in and they decide to disarm it and say I need to pay them to arm it. I will likely pay. Main reason being that it's a good alarm.

Only time it has actually gone off is when I had the windows down and car locked and reached inside and the alarm went off when/while I was opening the door. Then finally got the alarm to quit going off and stuck the key in the ignition to start it and it went off again because I forgot to disarm the alarm by unlocking the doors.
Old 10/15/10, 02:16 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, it's a pretty good alarm - I went to the dealer on arrival day to take a peek at her, thye had the window down. I put my hand on it and leaned my head in and the alarm went off!!!

So it works!
Old 10/15/10, 02:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2011GTCS
Yeah, it's a pretty good alarm - I went to the dealer on arrival day to take a peek at her, thye had the window down. I put my hand on it and leaned my head in and the alarm went off!!!

So it works!
I have the security package and I really don't know if the alarm works or not. I will test it tomorrow.
Old 10/15/10, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

Another thing I just thought about, Last two times I have worked on my car Just getting the car in the air with a jack set the alarm off. Which is a real nice feature if someone is putting it on a tow truck. I had mine about six inches off the ground and it went off. Not to mention slapping the underside of the car with the end of the wrench and it going off.