2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Dead Horse Category -- IRS/Live Axle Article

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/08, 02:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, last minute it was dumped for the SRA.
The problem is it isn't a straight swap right now ... there was some modification to the chasis or floorpanel that was made to accomodate the Solid if i remember correctly.
Old 5/7/08, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I fantasize about the Mustang, Ford as a car company has very little of my respect. Err, let me rephrase that. MODERN Ford as a car company...

When I look at one of it's largest competitors, Dodge, and see it's fugly Caliber SRT-4 with a turboed I-4 making 285HP/265ftlb, 19" wheels, a functional hood scoop, IRS, QUALITY interior with sweet options including factory racing seats that are well designed and STYLISH, not to mention a grill opening that is 100% open honeycomb panel and not 60% blocked with plastic filled combs. The little things like that is what makes me think Ford is suckin it up bad. When Dodge can offer all those "little" things for the same price as a base GT, someone is doing something right. Sometimes I wish I didn't love the Mustang as much as I do. I think I might a better quality car for my money. Oh well. I'm just venting. Maybe the '10 will fix some of these things. I'll still buy if it doesn't. I AM a Mustang fan after all!
Old 5/7/08, 02:51 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
not to mention a grill opening that is 100% open honeycomb panel and not 60% blocked with plastic filled combs.
You DO realize why the mustangs grille isn't 100% open right?
It's not because they are cheap and crappy....

..hint... airflow....
Old 5/7/08, 03:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Maybe all of you guys wishing for an IRS and saying you'd pay extra for it, should invest the money into driving lessons and learn to drive the danged car!! And don't go and say that street driving is different than racing, if you're pushing it hard enough to complain about the handling in rough corners, you're either well above the posted limit or should be driving a Caddy. The Mustang has never been a refined (luxury/sport)car and should never be one!! And, if it had an IRS like the 'vettes, you'd complain about it having leaf springs!! Most people wouldn't even notice the difference between an IRS and a SRA rear suspension.
Old 5/7/08, 03:36 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

ahaha thats what i was thinkin... how fast are you guys n gals whippin the stang outta the krispy kreme parking lot?!
Old 5/7/08, 04:26 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tacbear
Come on Ford, it is time to step up. HYUNDIA HAS A 300HP RWD COUPE W/IRS FOR LESS THAN $26,000!!! IRS is loooooong overdue in the Mustang and it won't cost Ford $5000. Even Ford SUV's have IRS

At least make it an option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, the writing is definitely on the wall. I sure wouldn't want to be known as "the only company in the world who in the 21st century are still using a buggy axle suspension in their $30K performance coupe."

It says something profoundly disturbing about management at Ford of North America, frankly.
Old 5/7/08, 04:29 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Maybe all of you guys wishing for an IRS and saying you'd pay extra for it, should invest the money into driving lessons and learn to drive the danged car!! And don't go and say that street driving is different than racing, if you're pushing it hard enough to complain about the handling in rough corners, you're either well above the posted limit or should be driving a Caddy. The Mustang has never been a refined (luxury/sport)car and should never be one!! And, if it had an IRS like the 'vettes, you'd complain about it having leaf springs!! Most people wouldn't even notice the difference between an IRS and a SRA rear suspension.
Yeah, in fact, can we get an "antique package" on the Stang, too - you know, one that gives us a carburetor, bias-ply tires and wind-up windows?

Maybe we can keep living in the past.

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 5/7/08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 5/7/08, 04:48 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

ain't nuthin wrong with roll up windows!
Old 5/7/08, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Does the Mustang need IRS?
-Yes

Would it improve performance?
-Yes

Would it shut the critics up?
-Yes

Would it improve overall driveability of the car?
-Yes

So why doesn't Ford do it? I hate to break it to you guys, but it costs more, and the Mustang will sell regardless of its suspension. Simple as that.
Old 5/7/08, 05:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
I can drive my car perfectly fine. You notice the difference in everyday driving.

If you've ever been on a road course, you'd know that street driving is way different than the racetrack.
Old 5/7/08, 05:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cheech6g
I hate to break it to you guys, but it costs more, and the Mustang will sell regardless of its suspension. Simple as that.
Since 2002, the Mustang has had no competition. GM has the Camaro coming out and the Challenger just hit the streets. Hyundai has a RWD Mustang competitor being introduced shortly. Ford better watch their back because the competition has some really great products coming out!
Old 5/7/08, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Yes

-Yes

-Yes

-Yes

So why doesn't Ford do it? I hate to break it to you guys, but it costs more, and the Mustang will sell regardless of its suspension. Simple as that.
Could the aveage guy afford one?

No!

Would it make it an elitiist(SP) car Yes

30K is the magic number right now

As far as sells go.... IMO Ford was smart

Edit: I am all for any optionsFord should offer as options ... that ppl like me want want!

Last edited by Rapture; 5/7/08 at 07:16 PM.
Old 5/7/08, 07:27 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Rapture
Could the aveage guy afford one?

No!

Would it make it an elitiist(SP) car Yes

30K is the magic number right now

As far as sells go.... IMO Ford was smart
I've said it before and I'll say it again: we're all paying for an IRS equipped Mustang right now...Ford's just substituting SRA instead.

Ford isn't doing this to save buyers money - it's doing it to widen its profit margin.
Old 5/7/08, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I've said it before and I'll say it again: we're all paying for an IRS equipped Mustang right now...Ford's just substituting SRA instead.

Ford isn't doing this to save buyers money - it's doing it to widen its profit margin.
Amen, well put.

IceHawk, have you ever owned a Dodge product? Unfortunately, I have and was lucky enough to rid myself of the last one. Sure the Dodge boys can create some stylish cars and trucks but their quality is horrid, if they truly "pay attention to details" then major powertrain systems shouldn't have to be replaced in the first year of ownership along with a host of other "lesser" systems.

hisnherponies - I'm a big supporter of an IRS option for the Mustang and I can drive my solid axle fox body coupe just fine - wanna race? Seriously, the IRS would make a great road course addition but more importantly it would satisfy the majority of Mustang buyers who never modify or race their cars but simply drive them on the pothole-ridden streets where NVH and ride comfort are more important that lateral acceleration or slalom speeds.
Old 5/7/08, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

agreed 100%........and its so unfortunate for the consumers. We could get into a whole topic of right and wrong here given Ford's situation, but I'll leave it at this.....as consumers, we're all getting jipped.
Old 5/7/08, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool

Originally Posted by max2000jp
To keep the cost down, I think it has to be one or the other. I think that Ford would keep the vast majority of people happy with an IRS rear that can handle 400whp.
Sure why not lets make it as week as the GM 10 bolt, so now enthusiast with FI or N/A (if we can get over 400rwhp with the new engine) have that added cost of beefing it up or having to swapping for a 8.8 or higher rear end.
Not trying to bash, just trying to make a point.

I'm neither yay or nay for the IRS at this time,but if ford put one in the mustang this thing better be tough as nails and weight about the same as SRA. (Hollywood_north GT).. already pointed out that we are being charged as if the car already came with one, so I would expect anything less.

I have noticed that vehicles with the IRS run cr4p times at the track, can anybody explain why?? And what do people expect the mustang to weigh with an IRS?

[quote=Hollywood_North GT;5562724]Absolutely.

In case anyone doubts the overwhelming superiority of IRS, ask yourself the following question: How many RWD performance cars in the Mustang's price category can you think of that use SRA anymore?

Anyone...?

Anyone...?

Bueller...?=quote]

That's a great question, I guess none is your answer.

I also have a question, how many performance cars in the Mustang's price category are out there that have a V8 and back seats since 2002??

Last edited by TTS197; 5/7/08 at 11:21 PM.
Old 5/7/08, 11:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

-Yes

-Yes

-Yes

-Yes

I feel the critics will bash the mustang no matter how well it does.
For example, if it gets IRS they will bash how crappy the interior is ,if it get a better interior they will say how the ergonomic are all wrong it's just an endless cycle.

I agree even with the SRA the stang has and still out sells the competion.

Last edited by TTS197; 5/8/08 at 12:24 AM.
Old 5/8/08, 12:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
-Yes

-Yes

-Yes

-Yes

Need? No.

Cornering, likely... but by how much?

Critics? I thought it was their job to not shut up?

Driveability? I haven't had many issues with driveability... it certainly handles better than any sedan I've been in recently... but it's a rougher ride (is that SLA, or sport car suspension?)...

Are we paying for it? Probably, but I personally wouldn't know the difference.
Old 5/8/08, 04:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
As much as I fantasize about the Mustang, Ford as a car company has very little of my respect. Err, let me rephrase that. MODERN Ford as a car company...

When I look at one of it's largest competitors, Dodge, and see it's fugly Caliber SRT-4 with a turboed I-4 making 285HP/265ftlb, 19" wheels, a functional hood scoop, IRS, QUALITY interior with sweet options including factory racing seats that are well designed and STYLISH, not to mention a grill opening that is 100% open honeycomb panel and not 60% blocked with plastic filled combs. The little things like that is what makes me think Ford is suckin it up bad. When Dodge can offer all those "little" things for the same price as a base GT, someone is doing something right. Sometimes I wish I didn't love the Mustang as much as I do. I think I might a better quality car for my money. Oh well. I'm just venting. Maybe the '10 will fix some of these things. I'll still buy if it doesn't. I AM a Mustang fan after all!
Well even with the srt4...Crysler is still ditching the Dodge name, and the Challeneger might not see a future afterall. Oh well...at least the 'maro might add some competition to the mustang.
Old 5/8/08, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

I like the Challenger SRT8, but I would never buy one. Chrysler's quality stinks! But, I admire what they are doing. They are giving "their" customers what they want.
Although I don't care for the looks of the Camaro, I can almost guarantee that the car is going to perform well. GM is never lacking in the performance area.
I am a Ford guy, but the competition has some appealing vehicles. I am even impressed with the Pontiac G8 GT!

Quick Reply: Dead Horse Category -- IRS/Live Axle Article