2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Dead Horse Category -- IRS/Live Axle Article

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/08, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Horse Category -- IRS/Live Axle Article

I know, I know, this dead horse has been beaten down to a few patches of hide and bone, but Mustang News does have an interesting discussion on the buggy axle/tinker toy debate and even a poll to register your own wisdom on the topic. And in lieu of any great detailed exposes on the '10 to bide our time on this board...

It generally seems pretty balanced article, though I would take exception with the regurgitation of the $5k added cost for an IRS Ford tried to foist upon the gullible a few years ago to try to quell dissent. As for the poll, it currently favors an IRS around 55% to 36% with the remainder not able to make up their little pumpkin heads.

As for me, especially after reading both sides in this discussion, I think an IRS ought to be offered but so too a live axle. For the former, it just offers too many real world benefits to deny Mustang buyers any longer. As for the latter, there exists a small, but strong and crucial, drag racing contingent of Mustang owners that ought not to be left in the dustbin of history.
Old 5/6/08, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say IRS for production car. Mainly to shut every magazine critic and GM/Import fanboy up on the subject. Then offer a solid axle conversion through Ford Racing.
Old 5/6/08, 05:30 PM
GT Member

I say keep the solid axle. Mustangs are supposed to be relatively simple, tough little cars. I din't buy a mustang to drive a bimmer or an evo, I buy a mustang for tire-smoking, exciting, not terribly efficient fun. If iI want an IRS I 'll buy something else. Now then, if Ford wants to introduce a 4wd performance car under a different badge name (Y'know, Cougar, Fairlane, Torino) I think (obviously) independent suspension all around would be nice. Just my .02-now back to studying for finals!!!
Old 5/6/08, 06:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
I say IRS for production car. Mainly to shut every magazine critic and GM/Import fanboy up on the subject. Then offer a solid axle conversion through Ford Racing.

I agree with this.
Old 5/6/08, 07:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
AWD IRS Mercury Cougar!
Old 5/6/08, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

I say offer both, either offer the IRS as standard with a live axle option or vice versa. Personally, I'd like to see the IRS standard and the live axle part of a Drag Pak option.
Old 5/6/08, 08:57 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I say both, if the market is there and Ford can make money catering to both live axle and independant crowds then do it. In a car expressly engineered for an IRS, there would be no space to fit a live axle without significant modification to the rear of the car and to the interior (if Ford choose to take advantage of everything an IRS had to offer).

Ultimately I suspect that IRS will win out in the next generation Mustang, if it cost an additional 500 dollars, so be it, however I do not think it should sacrifice absolutely anything in reliability to the 8.8 stick axle. Nobody should expect anything less.

In short the technology should be transparent, if say you bolt on a set of slicks and drop the clutch at 5,000 rpm now, the same should be true later wihtout fear of spilling the parts all over the track.
Old 5/6/08, 09:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

To keep the cost down, I think it has to be one or the other. I think that Ford would keep the vast majority of people happy with an IRS rear that can handle 400whp.
Old 5/6/08, 09:18 PM
FR500 Member

As much as I would like to see a tough 8.8"/9" center section IRS rear suspension on the next gen Mustang, I think Ford will soldier on with the live axle simply due to cost reasons (cheap) although it could incorporate a Watts link locating device instead of a panhard rod. If Ford were to still offer a live axle "Drag Pak" option, it should be a 9" type. With that being said, I don't mind if the company proves my prediction about the next Mustang not having a IRS wrong...
Old 5/6/08, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer to keep the live axle for cost reasons...and I'm more of a drag racer type. I think Ford got it right by putting IRS on the Terminator Cobras. Keep the expensive stuff on the SEs.
Old 5/6/08, 10:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Jimp
I prefer to keep the live axle for cost reasons...and I'm more of a drag racer type. I think Ford got it right by putting IRS on the Terminator Cobras. Keep the expensive stuff on the SEs.
Most consumers don't drag race. They drive their cars on the public roads and they never see a drag strip. That's where an IRS shines. If Ford really was to get serious about modernizing the Mustang's suspension, they'd have to put an IRS on all cars to keep the cost down. Or maybe they can get rid of old Shelby and that covers the cost of an IRS rear
Old 5/7/08, 02:17 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by max2000jp
Most consumers don't drag race. They drive their cars on the public roads and they never see a drag strip. That's where an IRS shines. If Ford really was to get serious about modernizing the Mustang's suspension, they'd have to put an IRS on all cars to keep the cost down. Or maybe they can get rid of old Shelby and that covers the cost of an IRS rear
Absolutely.

In case anyone doubts the overwhelming superiority of IRS, ask yourself the following question: How many RWD performance cars in the Mustang's price category can you think of that use SRA anymore?

Anyone...?

Anyone...?

Bueller...?

That being said, can Ford properly engineer an IRS that can handle the increasing horsepower loads being asked of it? That IS a legitimate question. After all, this is the company that couldn't make global windows work on the new Stang, and whose solution was to simply deactivate and discontinue the feature, rather than find a fix to make it work.

On the other hand, what sort of suspension does the Ford GT supercar use, he asked rhetorically?

And what does it cost?
Old 5/7/08, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

The Mustang needs IRS. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening until the re-design.
My source told me that there was a person at Ford pushing for IRS. This person wouldn't leave the subject alone, and was eventually "fired". Wow!

I've already watched two comparisons between the Mustang(GT500 & Bullitt) vs. Challenger SRT8, and the weaknesses in both Mustangs were exposed.
Ford is either going to have to make upgrades to the current suspension, or we are going to have to wait another 3 or so years for the re-design.

I think Ford is making better automobiles but they are lacking in the performance area. In the past, we had vehicles like the SVO Mustang, SHO Taurus, Turbo & SC T-birds, and of course SVT's. This has to be a strategic move by Ford to help the company rebound. Plus, CAFE!

But, "image" means a lot to some of us, and sitting back seeing new cars like the Challenger SRT8, Camaro and even the G8 GT, have me wanting more out of Ford Motor Company. Are the new GDI engines going to arrive in time? Is Ford already too late bringing out the new RWD platform? Or are they the smart ones by waiting?
Old 5/7/08, 08:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have a feeling that the Camaro is going to force the Mustang to have an IRS rear. If anyone has gotten a chance to read the latest C&D, look how they praises the handling and compared it to a BMW!! The Camaro is based off the same platform and will be 100-200 lbs lighter.
Old 5/7/08, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Prefer IRS

I would pay an extra $500 for IRS. I hate the feeling when you hit potholes or bumps when cornering and the rear end hops all over the place. I say put in IRS and if it is cost-effective offer the live rear axle as a drag pack option.
Old 5/7/08, 08:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I very highly doubt you'll see an IRS till the new platform.

They'll just beef up what they have and carry over.
I'm sure it'll handle nicely (especially with the weight/power/updated components)

I'd like to have an IRS but I'm not sad that it doesn't have it.
Old 5/7/08, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by First Stang
I would pay an extra $500 for IRS. I hate the feeling when you hit potholes or bumps when cornering and the rear end hops all over the place. I say put in IRS and if it is cost-effective offer the live rear axle as a drag pack option.
I think most Mustang owners would pat 500 extra for an IRS. That's a few months more a month on your payment. Ford should offer an IRS standard across all models and then Ford Racing can offer a "Drag Pack" with a SRA.
Old 5/7/08, 08:50 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

whatever they've got in 5 years is gonna be fine by me
Old 5/7/08, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Come on Ford, it is time to step up. HYUNDIA HAS A 300HP RWD COUPE W/IRS FOR LESS THAN $26,000!!! IRS is loooooong overdue in the Mustang and it won't cost Ford $5000. Even Ford SUV's have IRS

At least make it an option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5/7/08, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the S197 designed for IRS and it was cut early in development due to "cost"? So it wouldn't seem all that unreasonable for them to still have an IRS capable platform using the SLA instead.

This is one of the best handling Mustangs ever made. Apparently they have the technology to make it better. So... when?

Quick Reply: Dead Horse Category -- IRS/Live Axle Article