Sponsored By:

darn TPMS ... grrrrrrrrr !!

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/11, 09:30 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Low or overinflated tires also are a risk. Severely under inflated tires get much hotter than a correctly inflated tire and after long trips of increased heat a blow out is a real possibility. We have had three cars come into the shop with blown tires because the owners ignored the light.
Amazing... well not really, people tend to treat these things like check engine lights.

It may be a hassle when your swapping rims, but I say they are pretty important and the evidence I give is the time I had a puncture and was traveling at a pretty high speed and while whatever punctured my tire was ejected, had I not had the TPMS, I wouldn't have found out about my tire going flat until it had disintegrated.

This would have been especially problematic if the tire would have failed during a turn or emergancy manuever since it was a rear tire. I've commented before about a particular turn I love to especially fly around (has a nice kink at the end and I've pulled more than 1g coming off the kink). I'm sure had the tire failed at a moment like that I would have had (and to paraphrase Stelios from 300) a beautiful death.
Old 12/4/11, 03:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
...had I not had the TPMS, I wouldn't have found out about my tire going flat until it had disintegrated.
Glad it worked for you, and I applaud the OPTION to purchase it or NOT... Many of us don't want or need it, but are forced to install it to satisfy the pinheads in the "protect us from ourselves" nanny state.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 12/4/11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12/4/11, 08:22 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Glad it worked for you, and I applaud the OPTION to purchase it or NOT... Many of us don't want or need it, but are forced to install it to satisfy the pinheads in the "protect us from ourselves" nanny state.
Well you say to protect ourselves until some knucklehead in a minivan beside or in front of you loaded beyond capacity with say a bunch of newspapers and old coffee cups ruins your day (thats not an exaggeration BTW)

The number of vehicles on the road with critically underinflated tires (that'd be 20% or in the case of an average vehicle 6-7 psi low) is staggering. As mentioned above, people even treat the TPMS light like a check engine light and ignore it.

If you think a TPMS system is bad, wait till you have your mandatory backup camera that is a raging debate in congress right now because there are to many (??????) instances where small children are being run over.