Search this Thread

Old 7/3/11, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
couple Perf. Pack. Questions

So on the description it says....

PHP Code:
2012 Mustang Performance Package includes:

A 3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration Mustang GT coupe front and rear stabilizer barsMustang GT front struts and rear shocks/springs Shelby GT500 rear lower control armUnique 19-inch wheelsPirelli performance tires for improved gripMustang GT front and rear brake calipers with Performance Friction padsA strut tower brace for increased body rigidityUnique electronic stability control calibration with sport mode for performance drivingUnique badging 

now my Q's:

- whats the unique badging?
- do the tires for these rims cost a lot more? is there aftermarket alternatives?

thanks

also,

cant decide between HIDs or no HIDs...

whats your opinion?

thanks everyone!
Old 7/3/11, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not sue about the unique badging.

Yes the tires are pretty expensive. I believe somewhere in the mid $200's.

And as far as HIDs, get them. I think they make the car look mean and they light up the night perfectly without blinding people like the aftermarket kits tend to do.

I almost got the V6 PP instead of the V8. Sometimes I wish I did! Its definitely better on gas
Old 7/3/11, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Im not sue about the unique badging.

Yes the tires are pretty expensive. I believe somewhere in the mid $200's.

And as far as HIDs, get them. I think they make the car look mean and they light up the night perfectly without blinding people like the aftermarket kits tend to do.

I almost got the V6 PP instead of the V8. Sometimes I wish I did! Its definitely better on gas

i wish i could get a GT. if i get a PP V6, ill trade ya

my main goal was to get a mustang that could at least stay neck and neck with a GT S197. So, thats what ima do. plus 31-mpg doesnt hurt lol

whats normal cost of other tires?

and p.s- sweet exhaust vids!
Old 7/3/11, 04:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2011+ Mustang is a S197...

Performance Package tires are the same Pirellis as comes on the Brembo GT.

The Pirellis are very expensive, $350+, but there are tires that perform just as good for considerably less.

And Ford never did put any unique badges on any of them.
Old 7/3/11, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
i wish i could get a GT. if i get a PP V6, ill trade ya

my main goal was to get a mustang that could at least stay neck and neck with a GT S197. So, thats what ima do. plus 31-mpg doesnt hurt lol

whats normal cost of other tires?

and p.s- sweet exhaust vids!
My only problem with the V6, including the PP model, is Ford's stupid top speed limiter, at right around 112mph. Otherwise, I think the PP V6 model makes a perfect all-rounder, getting good gas mileage, good handling, and plenty of power to still get you in trouble. I wouldn't mind having one as a second Mustang.

I know there's lots of speculation to the reason's why Ford speed limited the V6 so much lower than the V8, but regardless of those facts, the only way to bypass the top speed limiter is to get a Tune, which has been well established at putting your certain engine warranty claims at risk or denial or voiding.

As for the HID's, if you do more night-time driving than daytime, they will pay off handsomely. While I don't find my non-HID's creating a visibility issue for me, I do miss my HID's from my Mazdaspeed 6.

Last edited by kn7671; 7/3/11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 7/3/11, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
My only problem with the V6, including the PP model, is Ford's stupid top speed limiter, at right around 112mph. Otherwise, I think the PP V6 model makes a perfect all-rounder, getting good gas mileage, good handling, and plenty of power to still get you in trouble. I wouldn't mind having one as a second Mustang.

I know there's lots of speculation to the reason's why Ford speed limited the V6 so much lower than the V8, but regardless of those facts, the only way to bypass the top speed limiter is to get a Tune, which has been well established at putting your certain engine warranty claims at risk or denial or voiding.
never considered the top speed.....
Old 7/3/11, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think HIDs look great on anything but the GT with standard fog lights. I think the contrast in the lights makes the look mismatched. Otherwise I like the HIDs.

112MPH? Are you really going to ever want to take your V6 faster than that?! If you want a track car, buy a GT base. If you want a nice DD that is plenty fun to drive, then get the V6 pp with no worry of hitting that governor.
Old 7/3/11, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaybertx
I think HIDs look great on anything but the GT with standard fog lights. I think the contrast in the lights makes the look mismatched. Otherwise I like the HIDs.

112MPH? Are you really going to ever want to take your V6 faster than that?! If you want a track car, buy a GT base. If you want a nice DD that is plenty fun to drive, then get the V6 pp with no worry of hitting that governor.
very true. any1 know the tuned actual top speed? not that id wana push my car that hard, just asking.
Old 7/3/11, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang
very true. any1 know the tuned actual top speed? not that id wana push my car that hard, just asking.
With the 3.31's in the PP V6 package, with a Tune and unlimited top speed, flat out at 6800 rpm's in 5th gear you could hit 166mph, but I feel aerodynamics and horsepower would limit the V6 Mustang to around the upper 140's to low 150's.

I can tell you that a 2011 5.0L V8 model can sit at the 145mph top speed limiter with ease.
Old 7/3/11, 05:57 PM
GTR Member

Someone in Germany had imported a V6 car and tuned out the speed limiter and had topped 155 on the autobahn. Don't recall if it was a PP car or a 2.73 geared car. I do believe he had replaced the driveshaft and for sure the tires so I guess now that I think about it, it was not a PP car. Read about it on one of the forums.
Old 7/3/11, 08:29 PM

As for the HID's, if you do more night-time driving than daytime, they will pay off handsomely. While I don't find my non-HID's creating a visibility issue for me, I do miss my HID's from my Mazdaspeed 6.
You need to check the speed rating of the tires. My guess is they are rated right around 115 MPH which is why they have the speed limiter set at 112. One of those silly Federal requirements the OE has to abide by.
Old 7/3/11, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

With the 3.31's in the PP V6 package, with a Tune and unlimited top speed, flat out at 6800 rpm's in 5th gear you could hit 166mph, but I feel aerodynamics and horsepower would limit the V6 Mustang to around the upper 140's to low 150's.

I can tell you that a 2011 5.0L V8 model can sit at the 145mph top speed limiter with ease.
Well thats cuz the 5.0 is a monster :P
Old 7/3/11, 09:08 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by lidserra
You need to check the speed rating of the tires. My guess is they are rated right around 115 MPH which is why they have the speed limiter set at 112. One of those silly Federal requirements the OE has to abide by.
Performance Package tires are W rated, 186 mph, still has 113 mph limit.

Regular manual trans base 17's are H rated, 130 mph, still has 113 mph limit.

Regular auto trans base 17's are T rated, 118 mph, same 113 mph limit.

Part of the limit is driveshaft, part of the limit is insurance rating, the rest, who knows.
Old 7/3/11, 10:32 PM

i think you should just spend or save a few thousand more and get a base gt
Old 7/4/11, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A base GT costs less than a PP v6 with HIDs. If I had to choose between the two, I would take the V6 without thinking twice. I think the OP has gas and insurance concerns on top of the actual price of the car but I could be confusing things.
Old 7/4/11, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

A base GT costs less than a PP v6 with HIDs. If I had to choose between the two, I would take the V6 without thinking twice. I think the OP has gas and insurance concerns on top of the actual price of the car but I could be confusing things.
Agreed. Its still a nice car and handles extremely well. I'd take it!
Old 7/4/11, 10:14 AM
GTR Member

Very strange, was just looking at the Mustang B&P site and it won't let you select HID's and the Performance Package unless you also select the MCA package making it about $400 more than the base GT.

Kind of sucks, although I really don't like the looks of the HID's anyway.
Old 7/4/11, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

This. Mainly insurance, the gas part doesnt hurt either :P

.at Jimmy, id get a GT if i wanted to pay top dollar on insurance. Not over 25 yet....:/
Old 7/4/11, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Very strange, was just looking at the Mustang B&P site and it won't let you select HID's and the Performance Package unless you also select the MCA package making it about $400 more than the base GT.

Kind of sucks, although I really don't like the looks of the HID's anyway.
Yeah ive noticed it as well. It makes me not want HIDs. Still torn as if i should or not.
Old 7/4/11, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

Agreed. Its still a nice car and handles extremely well. I'd take it!
I agree. But is it fast enough...?

Time will tell

Quick Reply: couple Perf. Pack. Questions